PDA

View Full Version : Allen Bolt Issue

syntaxerror
09-15-2015, 2:12 PM
So, I'm trying to take out a couple of Allen bolts out and I came into a problem. It looks like the Allen bolts are in a silver sleeve that rotates in whatever direction the bolt moves. I managed to get one bolt out, but the sleeve rotates with the bolt on the other side. There's also 2 Allen bolts that are directly opposite of each other that spin freely and grab no traction.

How can I manage to take the single one and the other 2 out? I tried using 2 Allen wrenches going the opposite way, but that didn't help.

SMarquez
09-15-2015, 4:09 PM
pics of what you are trying to remove would help.

Pardini
09-15-2015, 4:15 PM
Can you push the bolt and sleeve out together from the opposite side. If the sleeve is exposed on the side that you got the screw out of, thread on two nuts put the screw back in the sleeve. Run the nuts down against the sleeve and tighten them together. Put a wrench on the nuts then try to loosen the Allen bolt on the other side.

Your going to have to bind the sleeve one way or another. Could try chucking an Allen wrench in a drill or impact wrench and hit it with short bursts of high rpm. The sudden torque may break it loose, but might strip the Allen head too.

glock_this
09-15-2015, 4:17 PM
Is this on a Thordo pistol buffer tube cover? The little piece that has 4 hex heads (2 per side) into 2 sleeves near the lower that keeps it in place?

Anyway.. do you have some silicon? Silicon from one side and let it harden and bind and then unscrew other side and then peel off the silicon.

OR, depending on size, shove a wood dowel (or toothpick) in one side just to get grip enough and bind to stop the sleeve from spinning and not damage the threads or tube.

see the thordo pistol buffer tube cover below and 2 hex heads (lower left in picture) go into aluminum sleeves that can rotate free with 2 hex heads on the other side - pinch system. I siliconed the sleeves in so they could not spin and when I wanted to take off, they were held snug.

http://airportgyms.com/images/forums/ebtc.jpg

Munny$hot
09-15-2015, 4:35 PM
If you have threads exposed, use a metal sleeve/bushing, nut, and a bolt on the other side. When you tighten the nut down on the bolt shaft, it will put pressure on the sleeve which will butt up against your aluminum insert. You now should be able to hold the bolt on one side and unscrew your allen from the other.

tanakasan
09-15-2015, 5:41 PM
pics of what you are trying to remove would help.

^^ This…is it a heli coil?

Robert

syntaxerror
09-15-2015, 5:44 PM
Is this on a Thordo pistol buffer tube cover? The little piece that has 4 hex heads (2 per side) into 2 sleeves near the lower that keeps it in place?

Anyway.. do you have some silicon? Silicon from one side and let it harden and bind and then unscrew other side and then peel off the silicon.

OR, depending on size, shove a wood dowel (or toothpick) in one side just to get grip enough and bind to stop the sleeve from spinning and not damage the threads or tube.

see the thordo pistol buffer tube cover below and 2 hex heads (lower left in picture) go into aluminum sleeves that can rotate free with 2 hex heads on the other side - pinch system. I siliconed the sleeves in so they could not spin and when I wanted to take off, they were held snug.

http://airportgyms.com/images/forums/ebtc.jpg

The gun I'm having this problem with is the Kel Tec RFB and I'm guessing it's the same mechanism as the thing in the picture. The problem is that one side makes the sleeve move in whatever direction it's going and the bolt on the otherside doesn't make the sleeve move.

SkyHawk
09-15-2015, 6:01 PM
Are these yellow grip spacers the 'sleeves' you are referring to? If so, can you get something in the hole on the underside of the grip to grab the center of the spacer and keep it from rotating?

Or can you just remove one side of allen screws, and then pull off one half of the grip to expose the spacers. If you can get one side of screws out, you should be able to separate the grip halves. From looking at the drawing, you should not need to remove both sides of screws to separate the grip.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ccy079.jpg

tanakasan
09-15-2015, 6:07 PM
Thread one of the opposite bolts back in 1/2 way and then use it as leverage to tilt/tip/push it sideways against the standoff and make some resistance. Then try the one that is bottomed out.

Robert

syntaxerror
09-15-2015, 7:23 PM
Are these yellow grip spacers the 'sleeves' you are referring to? If so, can you get something in the hole on the underside of the grip to grab the center of the spacer and keep it from rotating?

Or can you just remove one side of allen screws, and then pull off one half of the grip to expose the spacers. If you can get one side of screws out, you should be able to separate the grip halves. From looking at the drawing, you should not need to remove both sides of screws to separate the grip.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ccy079.jpg

Yes, the yellow things is what I'm referring to. Ok, I'll try what you said.