PDA

View Full Version : heavily lubed bolt carrier PLUS stored vertically...

ldivinag
07-17-2008, 9:21 PM
equals heavily lubed buffer spring?????

how are you folks handling this situation?

clean the buffer regularly?

dont lube as much (but what happens in an emergency???)

discuss...

JagerTroop
07-17-2008, 9:26 PM
Flip it over every couple of weeks and spread it out. Then you get well lubed barrel, bolt, carrier, and buffer spring:p

scewper
07-17-2008, 9:45 PM
How is lube hurting your spring?

rayra
07-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Why would you be slopping so much lube on your bolt in the first place?

MILLITIAof1
07-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Why would you be slopping so much lube on your bolt in the first place?

you must not shoot black rifles

jandmtv
07-18-2008, 12:08 AM
How is lube hurting your spring?

+1

If anything, it helps cut down the spring noise when you shoot. I always spray some Barricade/CLP on the spring and buffer. It also makes cleaning the carbon deposits easier.

maxicon
07-18-2008, 6:26 AM
Back in the old days, when rifles came with wooden stocks, many people would store them muzzle down in the safe so oil wouldn't migrate down into the stock and discolor it over time.

You have to make sure to run a swab through the barrel before shooting, of course, in case the oil's run down into it instead.

deleted by PC police
07-18-2008, 7:28 AM
Back in the old days, when rifles came with wooden stocks, many people would store them muzzle down in the safe so oil wouldn't migrate down into the stock and discolor it over time.

You have to make sure to run a swab through the barrel before shooting, of course, in case the oil's run down into it instead.

Doesn't the first bullet just squeegie it out?:43:

Army
07-18-2008, 10:32 AM
"Heavily lubed" in US Army terms, is just enough lube to leave a sheen. No drips, no runs.

Anything more is just lubed getting blasted on your shooting glasses, the guy next to you, on the bench, on your mother in law.....oh, like that's not a bad thing!

glockster
07-18-2008, 11:31 AM
"Heavily lubed" in US Army terms, is just enough lube to leave a sheen. No drips, no runs.

Anything more is just lubed getting blasted on your shooting glasses, the guy next to you, on the bench, on your mother in law.....oh, like that's not a bad thing!

+1. YMMV but it doesn't need to be dripping off nor soaking wet. Prior to going to the range, you can always add another coat of lube. But stored in the safe, just leave a light coat and it'll still function if you need to utilize it hastily.

QuarterBoreGunner
07-18-2008, 1:36 PM
It's the same thing for every armorers course I ever took; shiny to the eye, slick to the touch, but if it's enough to flow under it's own weight, it's too much.

mxpatriot51
07-18-2008, 1:59 PM
If it can drip, it's oiled too much. Every AR-15 and M-16 I've ever cared for has been as reliable as a Glock with a thin film of oil.

bohoki
07-18-2008, 2:42 PM
oh man one thing i learned is dont wear a white tee shirt while shooting an ar-15 style rifle akll kinds of black grease squirts out that hollow stock bolt