PDA

View Full Version : KelTec SU16

cj1026
07-17-2008, 9:28 PM
Hey guys what are your thoughts and opinions on the KelTec SU16's?

Hopi
07-17-2008, 9:34 PM

What is your draw to this rifle?

Unless you need a very inexpensive rifle that ALSO folds and fits into a backpack.....I'd pass.

Saigas are a much better alternative.

If you MUST get the kel-tec, grab the CA model with the beefier barrel, etc.

Edit to add.....
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=111392
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=111362
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=111299

cj1026
07-17-2008, 9:43 PM
What is your draw to this rifle?

Unless you need a very inexpensive rifle that ALSO folds and fits into a backpack.....I'd pass.

Saigas are a much better alternative.

If you MUST get the kel-tec, grab the CA model with the beefier barrel, etc.

Edit to add.....
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=111392
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=111362

I have my Mini-30 up for sale or trade. Have gotten a couple offers for the KelTec. Didn't even know what they were before I got a couple offers for a trade. Just curious.

1911su16b870
07-17-2008, 9:55 PM
I like my B varient very much and have had no problems with it. Others have great dislike for them. It is very light, portable, points in nicely. Its receiver is all plastic. Takes your pre-ban AR mags.

You can search the site and see that there are a bunch of threads on the board that highlight users experiences.

Fobjoe
07-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Sorry. I couldn't help it. I like to post mine at any given opportunity.

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v271/212/100/3306318/n3306318_38961019_4777.jpg

Needless to say, I like it :)

Crusader
07-17-2008, 11:13 PM
I've had the opportunity to handle one, but never fire it. It was a very handy little weapon. However, I hadn't known that the receiver was made of polymer. If that's the case, I'd be a little hesitant to get the rifle... seems a little shady to me.

KTGunner
07-18-2008, 1:32 AM
Im not sure why there is so much disdain towards the KelTec SU16. It has very little recoil, and when you add a muzzle brake its hardly noticeable. It accepts pre-ban mags without getting in trouble. Its gas operation keeps it relatively clean (except if you put some Wolf through it). Its nice and light and has never given me any problems. Plus it folds up and holds two mags in the stock so its a good one to keep in the trunk.

The one huge recommendation I have is to replace the bipod with the optional forend from KelTec. The bipod feels (and is) flimsy. The installation is a pain, but its worth it. It makes the rifle look so much more .... hmmm, whats the word? EVIL

Yes, its not an AR-15, but its not supposed to be. Just get both and you will be happy. :gunsmilie:

harlot
07-18-2008, 2:30 AM
Its kinda a niche weapon, but its the only one in its class, so if you want a light carbine that can fit in your backpack then the SU-16 is it.

There is disdain because its a new platform and like everything there were some problems after it came out. If the internet existed back in the 60s then there would have been tons of people complaining about how crappy a weapon it is and that they would never trust their life with it. I think Kel-tec has listened and done a good job making identifying and fixing issues, my B has been rock solid and done everything i expected it to do.

RW Dunn
07-18-2008, 9:33 AM
Its a fun weapon,battle weapon its not. I put 2000rds through mine at a 4 day carbine class with minium cleaning(Me bad) first 1500rd were good to go,then extractor took a crap,replaced with higher quality one and a good cleaning and put another 500 through it, no problems.

ukdkbr
07-18-2008, 10:28 AM
The CA model was my first rifle, I like it a lot. I've put about 1000 rounds through it and havn't had any issues with it. After building my first AR it's amazing how light the keltec is next to it. Take it for what it is a fun, light, folding rifle that takes AR mags.

1lostinspace
07-18-2008, 10:32 AM

I think it's junk,over priced mine broke 5 times and almost everyone that has one has had problems with FTE or FTF. I think it would be a great gun if they worked the bugs out. They customer service is great!
Why get a Keltec when you can have a Saiga for half the price?

jammer2k
07-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Have one and have no real issues with it, found it didn't like Argentinan surplus ammo but it hasn't had any other issues. As many have said it is become a rather niche item now that OLL's are better understood. Customer service from KelTec is great and if you do have issues they are very good at fixing them.

Heavy_Grinder
07-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Not another SU16 thread.:eek:

Don't listen to all the other replies stating...'the su16 is prone to failure, its flimsy, etc. etc.'

Before this whole OLL era, the only choice for the calgunner was the expensive socom 16, mini14, mini30, hi-point carbine, the sealed magwell AR, and of course....the KT Su16 and a few other rifles I can't think of at this moment.

With that said, now that everyone and their momma has an OLL Ar, the su16 has since taken a backseat.

The Su16 is a neat rifle, and it is picky about ammo. It isn't chrome lined, and you'd have to replace the extractor with an AR variant. (Mine still has the factory Extractor and it performs 100%- go figure.)

BTW. you get a lifetime warranty from Kel-tec:D

aplinker
07-18-2008, 1:50 PM
It's just ok. It's uninspiring and less than ideal in reliability. I sold mine because it stopped being used. I did like the folding feature.

Honestly, it's not a horrible rifle, it's just that, for the money, you can do better (Saiga, your Mini, AR, etc.)

sonicbuff
07-18-2008, 2:23 PM
I like it a lot for its design and purpose.

How can you beat a 5 lbs .223 rifle packed neatly in your backpack ?

The closet thing is the Bushmaster carbon-15, but it does not take-down and can't use the Pre-ban mags.

Fobjoe
07-18-2008, 3:07 PM
One more note on the kel tec: If they lightened up the trigger it would be MUCH better. I hate how heavy it is. My hand starts cramping up if I take long, smooth shots.

railroader
07-18-2008, 4:30 PM
Kel-tec trigger jobs. This guy gets get reviews for AR's too. Mark
http://www.triggerwork.net/keltec.html

1lostinspace
07-18-2008, 8:39 PM
Not another SU16 thread.:eek:

Don't listen to all the other replies stating...'the su16 is prone to failure, its flimsy, etc. etc.'

Before this whole OLL era, the only choice for the calgunner was the expensive socom 16, mini14, mini30, hi-point carbine, the sealed magwell AR, and of course....the KT Su16 and a few other rifles I can't think of at this moment.

With that said, now that everyone and their momma has an OLL Ar, the su16 has since taken a backseat.

The Su16 is a neat rifle, and it is picky about ammo. It isn't chrome lined, and you'd have to replace the extractor with an AR variant. (Mine still has the factory Extractor and it performs 100%- go figure.)

BTW. you get a lifetime warranty from Kel-tec:D

yeah right talk to me after 5,000 rounds.
They are junk bro why get some plastic POS when you can have an AK action Saiga they are Russian Built and super reliable, you can bet your life on it;)
For the money you would spend on a Kel tec you could have a Saiga or an AR

Fobjoe
07-18-2008, 9:03 PM
^ I paid more for my kel tec than my AR....$590 vs. $500 :(

weezil_boi
07-18-2008, 9:16 PM

You got an increadible deal.

1lostinspace
07-18-2008, 9:18 PM

I am sorry bro....:(

The only good thing about a kel tec you can shoot the crap out of until it blows up:eek: and they will send you a new one free of charge:D Then you turn around and sale it while still in Box as fast as possible:cool:

tenpercentfirearms
07-19-2008, 9:37 AM
I won't say anything I have heard, I will just tell you my experience with my SU15A. The front sight hood gets in the way of the cheap red dot I had on it, so I cut it in half with a Dremel.

The darn thing never extracted my reloads so it didn't seem too reliable. My AR15s shoot those reloads all day long so it wasn't the ammo's fault.

As soon as the AR craze hit, I sold it. I have never regretted selling it.

LECTRIKHED
07-19-2008, 9:51 AM
Saigas aren't sold in the stores here in northern CA. The Kel-Tec is.

It's reliable with minor tweaking. Basically a break in period. I too wish it was aluminum instead. I'd feel much better about it. I've shot about 2000-3000 rounds out of mine. I only get the occaisonal jam. I also was using super cheap ammo for most of it.

Being a paranoid person, the SU-16 is a nice alternative to an OLL. I know they're 100% legal, but I don't want to sit in the county jail for a month and lose all my money paying for a lawyer.

You won't regret buying one. They also now make a pistol grip stock. You have to live outside of CA, and order it over the phone. They are going to have a 22lr version soon which you can put the PG on.

socomIInato
07-19-2008, 11:14 AM
you get what you overpay for a light duty rifle to be carried and fired very little. IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE, SOME MEN DON`T!