PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question about umbrella policies

chunger
07-17-2008, 7:33 PM
The issue came up while attending a training course about umbrella policies and civil suites resulting from a presumably "good" shooting in your home. Not that the chances of that are very high, but as I look at the average cost for competent legal defense even if the defendant is absolutely innocent of any violations, it seemed prudent to take some common sense precautions.

I had a meeting with my insurance agent today to update/upgrade my family's coverage as our situation has changed significantly and we wanted to update all of our policies to actually cover replacement cost for the home, etc. I also inquired about additional liability coverage particularly as it relates to firearms, and the agent was not too up to speed on the particulars. I heard that coverage varies considerably between the various insurers.

I was wondering if anyone had some leads or information. We are currently with Farmers and have been happy with their policy pricing so far in regards to home and cars. I'm not opposed to changing to a different company if they have a more favorable policy as it relates to firearms in particular.

Does NRA or other organization have any programs tailored specifically to this issue?

SchooBaka
07-17-2008, 8:00 PM
LOL, for a minute I thought you we're talking about one of these:
Self defense umbrellas (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=110889&highlight=defense+umbrella)

Now that you mention it, I still need to make a claim on my slightly singed 4runner; I think I'll bring this up when I talk with him.
Thanks.

jerryballs
07-17-2008, 9:40 PM
I am a Farmers insurance agent. Farmers insurance umbrella's are unique and cover legal defense outside the policy limit (meaning over the specified contract amount).

I assume you mean that in the event of a home assault you use your gun in self defense...if the attacker sues you would you have coverage? The short answer would be yes..as there are many independent variables...But simply if you are being sued for injuring an attacker while defending your home...farmers would go to bat for you.
Thanks!

Jerry

hoffmang
07-17-2008, 9:48 PM
Most PLUP/Umbrellas are going to cover your civil liability in a home defense or other self defense related civil suit.

I've certainly not heard anything bad about Farmers.

The other nice thing you get with a PLUP/Umbrella is protection from speech/internet posting related liability including copyright and trademark violations. Just a note of caution that if you blog or run a website, you may want to think twice about running ads as that could be considered a business and therefor not covered under your umbrella.

-Gene

chunger
07-17-2008, 10:47 PM
So, a good umbrella policy would also cover legal fees in a self-defense related incident outside of the home? For me, possession of a firearm here would be very very slim unless it is acquired on the scene from the attacker.

Does the umbrella policy give any protection against OLL related charges or felony charges in general? (assuming the items possessed are all legally configured) Should I be talking to a lawyer about all of these things to have somewhat of a safety net and emergency plan in place?

jb7706
07-17-2008, 10:50 PM
NRA has coverage specifically for self defense. Not sure if the limits are high enough for we Left Coasters. http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/selfdefense.asp

hoffmang
07-17-2008, 11:11 PM
So, a good umbrella policy would also cover legal fees in a self-defense related incident outside of the home? For me, possession of a firearm here would be very very slim unless it is acquired on the scene from the attacker.

Does the umbrella policy give any protection against OLL related charges or felony charges in general? (assuming the items possessed are all legally configured) Should I be talking to a lawyer about all of these things to have somewhat of a safety net and emergency plan in place?

You are confusing criminal charges with civil charges. If the police arrest you, your Umbrella will do nothing for that part of it. If the person you got into a fight sues you for money damages, your Umbrella will generally defend you.

-Gene

chunger
07-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Ahh. . . I see. Civil liabilities are covered. Criminal liabilities are not.