PDA

View Full Version : RRA vs Stags upper assembly.

sonicbuff
07-17-2008, 4:54 PM
I'm debating myself on the RRA and Stags complete uppers.

Which one would you choose if they're about the same price ? Reasons ?

Thanks.

domokun
07-17-2008, 4:59 PM
I'd get a Stag because I'm a lefty and RRA doesn't make a lefty rifle upper to my knowledge.

tenpercentfirearms
07-17-2008, 5:00 PM
They shouldn't be the same price. If they are the same price, then the Stag is over priced or the RRA does not have a chrome lined barrel.

I have never had to send back a RRA upper. I have had to send back Stag. The Stag has more features for your dollar, the RRA might be a little more reliable.

Same price? RRA all the way. I would tell you to expect to pay more for the same features on a RRA as you would a Stag.

Surfdog
07-17-2008, 5:04 PM
I have both, and I belive they are both fine uppers( I will confine my opinion to the basic 16"). My stag doesn't like wolf ammo, or at least doesn't like to spit the cases back out. RRA seems to eat everything. For a standard carbine my RRA is quite accurate. If I had to get just one it would be the RRA.

sonicbuff
07-17-2008, 5:18 PM
the RRA does not have a chrome lined barrel.

I don't shoot auto or rapid firing.

Should I pay extra $50 for the chrome-lined barrel ?

aplinker
07-17-2008, 5:20 PM
I'd pick RRA > Stag

RRA also gives you a LOT more choices and options to get just what you want.

ABSOLUTELY

Chrome lining improves extraction, reduces cleaning effort and enhances barrel life. It is the #1 AR required enhancement (if you don't get a stainless barrel)

PIRATE14
07-17-2008, 5:25 PM
GO CHROME OR GO HOME:chris:

sonicbuff
07-17-2008, 5:48 PM
I'd pick RRA > Stag

RRA also gives you a LOT more choices and options to get just what you want.

ABSOLUTELY

Chrome lining improves extraction, reduces cleaning effort and enhances barrel life. It is the #1 AR required enhancement (if you don't get a stainless barrel)

If that's the case, I might go with the Stags 'cause the barrel is chrome-lined. :D

BroncoBob
07-17-2008, 5:59 PM
RRA much better workmanship and proper staking of the bolt carrier screws.
I own both and must admit Stags are good but RRA are much better.

CHS
07-17-2008, 6:28 PM
CMMG!!

Heh, sorry. Had to.

JagerTroop
07-17-2008, 6:37 PM
RRA all the way. I don't own a stag, but I was in your shoes about 10 mos. ago. A lot of people complained about Stag's not liking wolf ammo. I do own 2 RRA uppers and the perform very well. Check out ADCO for RRA stuff. Steve has good pricing.

s2000news
07-17-2008, 7:46 PM
I have both, and I belive they are both fine uppers( I will confine my opinion to the basic 16"). My stag doesn't like wolf ammo, or at least doesn't like to spit the cases back out. RRA seems to eat everything. For a standard carbine my RRA is quite accurate. If I had to get just one it would be the RRA.

My Stag (16 Carbine) upper has the same wolf issue. Won't eject after 150 rounds, must be cleaned then good for another 150. No issues on any other ammo.

My RRA and LMT shoot it all without issue. My new CMMG will be tested next! :)

veeklog
07-17-2008, 7:57 PM
I own two RRA and the workmanship is great, but I no longer buy complete uppers. After buying the tools, vise, headspace guage, etc, and reading the appropriate literature (ie the Colt Armorers manual given to me by a friend from work and AR15.com) I now assemble the uppers for my friends and myself. Way too easy and uncomplicated is all I can say, and after assembling six uppers with quality parts from reputable manufacturers such as Colt, RRA, CMMG, and Larue I have not had a problem.

Satex
07-17-2008, 8:00 PM
Never owned an RRA so I can't really compare. My 16" Stag upper had feeding issues which Stag repaired quickly (bolt carrier). After that it has been flawless, and it shoots Wolf just fine.

cal_ar_shooter
07-17-2008, 8:38 PM

Yes!!!!!!!:D

The $50.00 is well worth it. You wont be sorry.

jandmtv
07-17-2008, 9:04 PM
CMMG!!

Heh, sorry. Had to.

+1!!!!!!!

CMMG > RRA > Stag.

IMHO, Stag is not much better than Model1 or Del-Ton.

(I have my flame suit on :D, bring it)

Casual Observer
07-17-2008, 10:02 PM
If you're looking for a serious upper, check the HKPro boards. A 416 upper occasionally comes up for sale, usually in the $3,500 range :D

doughboy334
07-17-2008, 10:03 PM
I went with Stag for my first build last month, doesn't give me any problems with steel cased brown bear ammo. pretty accurate, but i bet all AR-15s are.

CHS
07-17-2008, 10:04 PM
If you're looking for a serious upper, check the HKPro boards. A 416 upper occasionally comes up for sale, usually in the $3,500 range :D

Frankly, that's retarded. I don't care how awesome it is, it's not worth half that.

HK, because you suck, and we hate you.

ar15barrels
07-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Stag does not offer a mid-length.
RRA does.
Since you should never choose a carbine gassed barrel over a mid-length barrel, that makes the choice obvious, RRA...

sonicbuff
07-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Stag does not offer a mid-length.
RRA does.
Since you should never choose a carbine gassed barrel over a mid-length barrel, that makes the choice obvious, RRA...

I forgot to mention that I'm looking at the 6.8 SPC, not the more popular 5.6/.223. I read that the 6.8 was designed for carbines and can be very effective at carbine length barrels.

jandmtv
07-18-2008, 12:02 AM
RRA does not offer the 6.8 SPC upper with a chrome bore. But the CMMG 6.8 uppers do have a chrome bore http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=1184366&cat=73&

jandmtv
07-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Also, you should still consider getting a mid-length upper. Even though the car with work, there are obvious advantages to a middy, like less felt recoil for one.

aplinker
07-18-2008, 1:50 AM
I forgot to mention that I'm looking at the 6.8 SPC, not the more popular 5.6/.223. I read that the 6.8 was designed for carbines and can be very effective at carbine length barrels.

He's referring to the gas system not the barrel length. The gas system is what operates the bolt. A mid-length system will be much smoother operating and less harsh on the components.

Definitely go mid-length.

ar15barrels
07-18-2008, 6:51 AM

Read this:

www.ar15barrels.com/prod/operation.shtml

Chrome lining is not nearly as important in a 6.8 as the 6.8 runs at lower pressures and therefore lower flame temperatures.
I have RRA mid-length 6.8 uppers in stock for immediate sale.