PDA

View Full Version : OLL Okay At "A Place To Shoot" Range???

m2hbvic
07-17-2008, 3:35 PM
Has anyone tested the waters and shot their OLL rifles at A Place To Shoot gun range on San Francisquito Canyon Road in the Saugus(?) area??? Just wondering. I don't want to be the first, and I don't want to catch any flak if the range master on duty happens to be one of the "undesireables".

BTW, anyone shot their OLL rifles at the private High Desert Marksman range off of Angeles Crest Highway up here near Palmdale???
THANKS,
Vic

trapshot68
07-17-2008, 3:46 PM
- Place To Shoot. Yeah, I've shot there before OLL style. Only thing they ask is that you break it open instead of bullet-buttoning the mag.

Dunno about HDM. Was going to go some weekday. A friend took his AR up there, but it's also registered.... :\

wildcard
07-17-2008, 3:48 PM
You'll be fine there. And if you want an answer straight from the horse's mouth.. send a PM to Timberwolf. He's the RO at the rifle range.

PistolPete75
07-17-2008, 4:16 PM
as long as it's legal. yes.

CHS
07-17-2008, 4:36 PM
Only thing they ask is that you break it open instead of bullet-buttoning the mag.

Out of curiosity, why do they do this?

Legal is Legal. There's no loophole, and no gray area.

BONECUTTER
07-17-2008, 4:45 PM

Ever been to a range that didn't allow double taps? Holster work? Certain guns? Some ranges even limit how many rounds you can load in a mag at a time.

Why it may be legal to do those things you have to play by the rules the set or go somewhere else. If they find out people are going elsewhere to use bullet buttons, maybe they will change policy.

trapshot68
07-17-2008, 4:52 PM
Dunno. BUt hey, I'm basically a guest there. Why piss of the host?

CHS
07-17-2008, 5:08 PM
Ever been to a range that didn't allow double taps? Holster work? Certain guns? Some ranges even limit how many rounds you can load in a mag at a time.

Why it may be legal to do those things you have to play by the rules the set or go somewhere else. If they find out people are going elsewhere to use bullet buttons, maybe they will change policy.

There are obvious safety issues at hand with double-taps and holster work, and while I don't neccesarily support it, I do respect a range restricting those actions.

I've never been to a range that banned guns outright (save for indoor ranges barring the use of rifles or rifle-calibers), and the only ranges that I've ever been to that limited rounds per mag were from years ago when certain SKS's were known for slam-firing, and they only barred you from a full 10 rounds in those guns specifically. To be fair, I don't think I've been to a single range that limited rounds-per-mag in 10 years now.

I'm not bashing the range. I'm just very curious. There don't seem to be any safety issues like double-taps or bad SKS's.

pottymouth310
07-17-2008, 5:19 PM
I shot my OLL @ Desert Marksmen they seem fine with it

fleegman
07-17-2008, 6:01 PM
I was at a place to shoot several weeks ago with my featureless AK, a guy had his OLL AR. At a cease-fire, the RO recommended to him to keep an empty mag in his bullet-button equipped rifle between sessions. So yeah, they seem pretty savvy about the whole deal.

cal_ar_shooter
07-17-2008, 10:06 PM
There are obvious safety issues at hand with double-taps and holster work, and while I don't neccesarily support it, I do respect a range restricting those actions.

I've never been to a range that banned guns outright (save for indoor ranges barring the use of rifles or rifle-calibers), and the only ranges that I've ever been to that limited rounds per mag were from years ago when certain SKS's were known for slam-firing, and they only barred you from a full 10 rounds in those guns specifically. To be fair, I don't think I've been to a single range that limited rounds-per-mag in 10 years now.

I'm not bashing the range. I'm just very curious. There don't seem to be any safety issues like double-taps or bad SKS's.

What is that all about. I hate that rule. I have had a RO come up to me asking if I was double tapping:confused:

It wasn't me....:mad:

rayra
07-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Just did this past Sunday, with someone else's new OLL. BB equipped, but we were 'playing it safe' and breaking it open to reload from the top.
Next time we'll use the BB as it is intended.
Got no inquiries or undo notice, and just a moment's passing scrutiny from the RO.
I've been shooting at that range for many years, so was able to coach the two new shooters on keeping weapons clear and staying clear of the benches during ceasefires.
THings went well, and shooting an AR again - and one with a vertical foregrip - was great fun. Looking forward to doing it again and building one of my own.

MILLITIAof1
07-17-2008, 11:55 PM
I drop mags all the time at aps

m2hbvic
07-18-2008, 1:31 AM
OK, thanks guys for the heads up. I guess I'll try them out in a week or so.
Vic

cullen
07-18-2008, 11:57 AM
ive taken my oll and they are cool with it. during ceasefire, i leave my empty mag in place with the bolt open.

Dwikkles
07-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Im sorry to be such a newbie guys,but what is OLL?

The Gunslinger
07-18-2008, 12:47 PM
DM is absolutly fine with them. I have shot several matches there with mine and a few other guys bring theirs as well....feel free to drop your mag, double tap, empty your mag as fast as you can pull the trigger, its all good as long as its legal and your safe its all good...Cheers!!

p.s.
Where else can you legally shoot from sunrise to midnight!! great place.
APS is great to, I think the rule there is no more than two shots per second(no rapidfire), but I have had no trouble droping the mag there.I used to go there until I moved to the AV.

The Gunslinger
07-18-2008, 12:53 PM

The DM is also Holster freindly as long as you follow the rules, and keep it safe. For members you can carry in your holster all over the property, but for non members you are limited to the firing line....Cheers!

BONECUTTER
07-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Im sorry to be such a newbie guys,but what is OLL?

OLL = Off List Lower.......IE....california compliant AR's/AK's ect.

Timberwolf
07-18-2008, 1:22 PM
We are OLL friendly at APS as long as they are Cal compliant in configuration. We do ask that if you have a BB etc that you not use it to change mags and keep your mag locked in the weapon. During cease fire we ask that you open the upper to show clear. If you have a BB equipped weapon and wish to clean your weapon, have a jam etc then the mag may be removed.

As to rapid fire our policy on the rifle range is one round per second.

The Gunslinger
07-18-2008, 1:33 PM
[QUOTE=

As to rapid fire our policy on the rifle range is one round per second.[/QUOTE]

My bad its been a while since I've been there......

mxpatriot51
07-18-2008, 1:35 PM
Yep, you're fine there.