PDA

View Full Version : RPK and 922r compliance

munkeeboi
07-17-2008, 1:43 PM
I've searched and I think I'm confused more than ever as I'm new to AK's. Since the RPK can be considered a heavy barrel AK, I'll need to change out some parts for 922r compliance, right?

I plan on using a MMG with prebans and haven't seen any threads on the RPK specifically. What parts can you guys suggest to make this compliant, Do the Ak parts kits fit the RPK? that's 4 parts down including the MMG. What 2 other things can I change easily. Us made followers is an option, but I can't think of anything else.

If I stayed with a mag lock, I wouldn't have this issue, right?

Someone please school me on the subject. I already tried the search and it is almost all relating to Saigas or kit builds. Nothing specifically with the MMG and prebans.

bigthaiboy
07-17-2008, 3:13 PM
We need more info. You haven't mention if this is a RPK you are building, or buying factory built, and whether it is built on a US made receiver (that's 1 compliant part), Yugo or Romanian RPK. If you've bought your RPK, it should already be 922(r) compliant, unless of course you plan to make changes to it.

I have a Yugo M72, and can tell you that the stock trunion and handguards are different from AKs. The handguard is much wider. A US made AK gas piston will fit. Tapco G2 fire control group is 3 parts. Muzzle brake is another, so yes, US made AK compliant parts will fit an RPK.

munkeeboi
07-17-2008, 3:59 PM
It's a fully assembled (except grip) Century Arms Romanian RPK AES-10B from the group buy at Henderson Defense. The only thing I plan to add is a MMG since it doesn't ship with a pistol grip and I want to use pre-bans

Thanks

bigthaiboy
07-17-2008, 5:24 PM
That's correct, it is already compliant. Installing the MMG is the same as having the pistol grip removed. The MMG is NOT a pistol grip. Also, don't forget that the rifle came from Century with a (US made) pistol grip for the rest of the country, and was 922(r) compliant at a federal level. The PG was removed to be CA compliant. Either having a US made PG or removing it, counts as the same as one less imported part in the 10 parts or less game.

Only worry about 922(r), if you were going to add, for example, a folding stock or some other feature which would change the status of your RPK, as a semi-auto rifle which is prohibited from importation under 178.39. For future reference, check out : http://www.922r.com/ concerning parts counts.

munkeeboi
07-17-2008, 5:41 PM
Thanks Jeffm and bigthaiboy.