PDA

View Full Version : Hellers future in lower courts...

24thMED
07-17-2008, 1:08 PM
Interesting read...

Too large to post the entire article so here is the link...

http://colloquy.law.northwestern.edu/main/2008/07/hellers-future.html

24thMED
07-17-2008, 10:24 PM
I re-read this and with everything I've been reading about what's going on in DC and elsewhere, this just "chaps my hide".

Politicians, judges, Law enforcement, are basically ignoring the ruling of the Supreme Court of the United States... WTF! Are we no longer a nation of laws but a nation of politcal correctness?

This makes me physically ill... :mad:

hoffmang
07-17-2008, 10:28 PM
The Federal Court system is decent at the District Court level. Decent however means that there is a pretty wide area of competence at the first level. However, jurisprudence, interpretation, and the law really get decided at the appellate court level - basically round 2. At that level, Federal Courts are really surprisingly capable and competent. To get to the second level and hear back takes 12-24 months and that's really where the actual guts of Heller will start to take shape and be enforced.

Sadly its a patience issue and requires a tolerance for losing a couple of stupid cases at the lower court level.

-Gene

Ford8N
07-18-2008, 5:11 AM
The Federal Court system is decent at the District Court level. Decent however means that there is a pretty wide area of competence at the first level. However, jurisprudence, interpretation, and the law really get decided at the appellate court level - basically round 2. At that level, Federal Courts are really surprisingly capable and competent. To get to the second level and hear back takes 12-24 months and that's really where the actual guts of Heller will start to take shape and be enforced.

Sadly its a patience issue and requires a tolerance for losing a couple of stupid cases at the lower court level.

-Gene

Will we have enough time after Obama takes office? I suspect after he wins, his true colors will show and the Brady's will expect swift action to counter the SCOTUS ruling.

hoffmang
07-18-2008, 9:35 AM
Will we have enough time after Obama takes office? I suspect after he wins, his true colors will show and the Brady's will expect swift action to counter the SCOTUS ruling.

It takes a while for new appointments to be made to the various levels. Also, as long as we're careful about what we bring to SCOTUS, we have 5 votes. Our 5 are pretty healthy absent hunting with Dick Cheney or something...

-Gene