PDA

View Full Version : My first long gun

Vorais
09-10-2015, 8:15 PM
Well, finally decided to get a long gun. Always have dealt with handguns, and currently own several, but figured I should get something with a little more usable range than 100 yards. Haven't fired a long gun since shooting my dads 30-06 when I was kid out hunting, some 30+ years ago.

Went in to Gun Vault, and was shown a Sig MCX piston driven AR. After some talking, and looking though I ended up buying a basic DI AR; a Noveske Gen III 16" stainless NSR in 5.56. I get to take it home on the 21st (they are closed on Sunday). I ordered a EoTech EXPS-3 with G33 mag, but can change my optics order before next Wednesday. I believe the EoTech should give me something decent for now while I practice with the rifle and decide what I actually like. Also ordered 2000 rounds of Black Hills 77 grain ammo to hit the range with to get in some practice. I'll start if a small range at first, likely Stevens Creek Rifle Range since it's close.

Wondering if an one has any good advice for me on this (e.g. a better set of optics for this gun, different range in the area, did I f up and should have gotten the piston driven instead of the DI, etc...) I can still exchange if I made a bad choice, just need to drop a little extra on the restocking fee.

Chameleon Loco
09-10-2015, 8:31 PM
Great first rifle, can't go wrong with a quality ar. Others will say it and will too you need a nice rifle case and a quality sling. I'd suggest ammo too but you already bought a good amount to get you going

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Steve_In_29
09-10-2015, 8:31 PM
The EOTech XPS2 with 3x on my wife's SU16CA is good for quick reaction shots and on man sized targets out to 400+ yards. If you are looking to shoot tiny little groups on paper then you are going to want an actual scope in the 3x12 or 14 range.

Vorais
09-10-2015, 8:41 PM
Thanks :). My understanding is the 556 is effective to about 500 yards, so man sized accuracy at that range is good enough. If I decide to go longer, I'll likely get a gun/caliber designed for it. (That might be my next hobby)

BrokerB
09-10-2015, 9:23 PM
First rifle?.... you should be using iron sites.

davidb
09-10-2015, 9:30 PM
di is the way to go with ar's, and a noveske is one hell of a first rifle, you did good.

I agree with Brokerb though, learning how to use an optic is fine but grab a nice set of irons because that is something you're going to want to know well.

Vorais
09-10-2015, 10:18 PM
Familiar with iron sights, shot my first dear at 10 yrs old with a nonscoped 30-06. Grew up in western oregon SE of Eugene in the woods so had a lot of opportunities as a kid. I also use irons on all my handguns (just never personally owned my own or used one since leaving my parents. However, as the Noveske comes with a set of iron sights, might take some time getting reacquainted with them.

Click Boom
09-11-2015, 12:56 AM

This this this this

jeffrice6
09-11-2015, 1:43 AM

+100

Vorais
09-11-2015, 12:25 PM
So guess no one thinks I made a bad choice picking the Noveske over the Sig MCX. I'll take the advice and see how well I do with the irons the first round at the range and make the decision at that point on when to install the optics. (If half as good as when I was a kid will be that night)

Vorais
09-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Others will say it and will too you need a nice rifle case and a quality sling.

Thanks, took your advice and ordered a nice pelican storm case for it. With custom molded insert (Use pelican's for all my various pistols and like the quality.). Will try out a couple slings to see what I like. Appreciate the advice.

Crazycomic
09-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Damn, you went all out on this $$$. Good for you! Definitely agree with irons first.

KING_PALM
09-11-2015, 1:12 PM
So guess no one thinks I made a bad choice picking the Noveske over the Sig MCX. I'll take the advice and see how well I do with the irons the first round at the range and make the decision at that point on when to install the optics. (If half as good as when I was a kid will be that night)

you couldnt go wrong with either rifle. keep in mind alot of shops dont even have MCX's yet. I had one for about 4 days before i sold it and im still tying to find another one to replace it.

Canucky
09-11-2015, 1:23 PM
Gun Vault Rocklin?

kozumasbullitt
09-11-2015, 1:37 PM
"I ended up buying a basic DI AR; a Noveske Gen III 16" stainless NSR in 5.56."
Lol, nothing basic about a Noveske. I think a nice 1-4 or 1-6 scope will work well with your Noveske. Great choice on ammo, you really spared no expense.

m850168
09-11-2015, 3:16 PM
I'd look at a 1-4x or 1-6x. A Leupold with a firedot will feel a lot like a red dot at the low end (but without the unlimited eye relief). The magnification will be nice to have past 300 yards. You can shot further without magnification, sure, but it's nice to have. The Leupolds are pretty lightweight, which is also nice.

An ACOG would also be a great choice; spendy but durable and clear. The 3x tends to get the nod for eye relief and weight while the 4x wins on FOV.

Your Noveske plus the Black Hills ammo should be good for more than 500 yards. I have a chrome-lined 16" that's pretty good at 600 yards with the CBC version of those 77gr loads.

Vorais
09-11-2015, 3:43 PM
Bay Area Gun Vault, they had a couple MCXs last night. (Mountain View)

russ69
09-11-2015, 3:52 PM
Well, finally decided to get a long gun...a Noveske Gen III 16" stainless NSR in 5.56...

16 inch carbines are OK for close work but if you want to learn how to shot a rifle, you'll need a rifle. (OK, even I started with an AR15 CAR but the shortest I own now is an 18 inch).

Vorais
09-11-2015, 5:26 PM
16 inch carbines are OK for close work but if you want to learn how to shot a rifle, you'll need a rifle.

If I get as good as the AR currently in jail and/or decide to move to longer range shooting, I'll probably get something in bolt action. I've heard that the Sako TRG-42s are decent.

glock7
09-11-2015, 6:25 PM
You did well. Ar's can shoot out to a pretty good distance.

Rosamond
09-11-2015, 6:29 PM
Nice choice, co-witness, practice with both.;)

pluke the 2
09-11-2015, 6:36 PM
Definitely a good rifle you got. I agree with the iron sites. On my tacticool ARs I run acogs with flip swing mounts and 3x and 6x magnifiers depending on the ar. Works good close range and up to a couple hundred yards.

Canucky
09-11-2015, 6:47 PM
Bay Area Gun Vault, they had a couple MCXs last night. (Mountain View)

Thanks I'm guessing their the same ownership group?
Driven by 1000 times (Rocklin) will stop by sometimes.:)

3lixer
09-11-2015, 8:33 PM
So you just dropped $5k on an AR, optic and ammo? God bless you. As for your post, you made a great choice in all 3 categories (although I'm an Aimpoint fanboy). You may want to pick up some wolf gold or something cheap to plink with instead of sending match bullets that cost 3x more down range to practice.

3lixer
09-11-2015, 8:35 PM
16 inch carbines are OK for close work but if you want to learn how to shot a rifle, you'll need a rifle. (OK, even I started with an AR15 CAR but the shortest I own now is an 18 inch).

16" is more than enough.

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/barrel6.jpg

Vorais
09-12-2015, 11:41 AM
So you just dropped $5k on an AR, optic and ammo? God bless you. . Actually a little bit more than that. And to think, I only went in to pick up a 22lb recoil spring for my Kimber 10mm... First long gun, and was kind of a spontaneous purchase. (I've thought about it some in the race, but wasn't planned). Started off with the owner saying "see the cool MCX we got.." :P

jsigone
09-12-2015, 12:26 PM
I'd gone 14 or 1-6 scope with mildot or mrad scope. Lets you shoot farther...easier. Plus saved over half a pound on the rifle vs a EOtech/Mag combo. Not to mention better balance. I like the vortex pst retical as it's similar to a Acog for quick run n guns desert fun but half the price.

Vortex HD or US Optics 1-4/6/8 sounds like it would be in your price range you spent on the Eotech/mag. Add a larue or ADM mount and would be slick all around setup. Those expensive 77g bullets can reach 700-800 yards....if you can see that far with magnified red dot.

Nice rifle, can't wait to see the pics!!

Vorais
09-22-2015, 12:12 AM
well, picked it up today. So nothing special, just a very simple rifle with irons. After a couple weekends as is will add an optic.

https://goo.gl/photos/8L4BP9nhFMLcjJFB6
https://goo.gl/photos/nSmgB4eKDZ6BpPL7A

geoint
09-22-2015, 11:45 AM

Ive had multiple issues with every Sig I've owned that wasn't made by their custom shop. They were all handguns but that left a VERY sour taste in my mouth that will never go away now.

With that said, Piston is more user friendly than DI in the AR platform. Reliability wise, with a quality maker there is probably little difference (but if there is, pistons are the winners). Since you had the money to go with quality, DI is fine but if you do ever look for another AR, check out PWS, LWRC or LMT and look at their piston lines. As someone who appreciates quality, I think you will be very impressed.

And to be fair, piston ARs have cons too. Namely increased weight, proprietary parts and higher cost. Those don't bother me so Im a piston guy :)

onelonehorseman
09-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Congrats on your new long gun! Did you get any pics of your new rig OP?

dtrump
09-22-2015, 8:42 PM
Dang 2000 rounds black hills? What did that run? About 1500$?

Vorais
11-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Well, finally took it to the range with only irons and was able to keep a 3 inch spread at 100 yards from rest. Just put on the scope and will try again over the weekend. See if the pic attaches this time

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/Vorais/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg (http://s203.photobucket.com/user/Vorais/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg.html)

Randomnamerealquick
11-06-2015, 6:39 AM
Lol I wish I had your wallet, you made a very good choice. IMO noveske is near the top of the list for quality ARs, excellent ammo choice although unless you're made of money I'd get some cheaper ammo it you plan on blasting around <100. That atlas bipod and kahles scope are very nice additions

Click Boom
11-06-2015, 8:02 AM
If you're only shooting 3" groups with the black hills, might as well buy some cheap m193 30cpr to practice with until the 77'S can really shine.

Not that 3" is bad, persay, especially with irons/red dot, but you could shoot 3" groups with ammo costing 40% as much.

sigstroker
11-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Thanks :). My understanding is the 556 is effective to about 500 yards, so man sized accuracy at that range is good enough. If I decide to go longer, I'll likely get a gun/caliber designed for it. (That might be my next hobby)

With a 16" barrel? More like 250 to 300.

Randomnamerealquick
11-06-2015, 10:58 PM

No he's right, 500 is most certainly realistic with black hills 77gr

Doesn't go subsonic in my 18" till 750 yards

kozumasbullitt
11-07-2015, 6:48 AM

Maximum effective range on a man sized target for an M4 (14.5" barrel) is 500 meters; this is with mi-spec ammo. A quality commercial AR with match grade ammo is good to ranges much further than 500 meters.

Seaweed02
11-07-2015, 9:07 AM
That is a sweet looking AR you have there. I am looking forward to seeing the range report after this weekend. What scope and mount did you put on it?

Vorais
11-07-2015, 6:44 PM
I have the Kahles K16i on it (1-6 optics) with Bobro quick release mount. Went up to Sunnyvale R&G today, and I did much better than my first outing. Maybe either more familiar with the rifle this time or the daylight helped (last time was a night shoot), or the scope let me center on target better.

Had a best of 5 rounds at .78"@100 yards with the scope set to 6x and bipod, and a best of 10 rounds at 1.5"@100 yards at 1x (basically a red dot). I didn't try irons today as I was mostly playing around with the scope today. Next round though will play with both irons and scope. (reason for the Bobro was for return to zero capabilities). Still got a bit more practicing to do though, especially on the 10 round groups. I always seemed to have a really good group except for 1 or 2 flyers near the end.

Anyway, enjoying it rifle a lot, a good change of pace from the handguns. I think I need to go pick up a few more different styles now....

Vorais
11-17-2015, 7:30 PM
Update:
Went back to Sunnyvale R&G again for my 3rd visit, this time using IMI military ammo. Ran 10 shots at each target at 100 yards using IMI My 10 shot spread improved, but still not great. I'm having troubles keeping my shots equal through all 10. My best first 4 shots were all same hole with 0.375" spread between centers of impact, but 5th shot pushed that out to 1.44" out. My best 10 shot group was 1.75" spread.

Full group (Notice top left and middle left 1 really bad flyer) I was playing with scope settings on top 2 targets as well, fine tuning as I was a little left from aim:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/Vorais/IMG_1105.jpg

Top Left, wouldn't have been too bad if not for a really bad flyer:http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/Vorais/IMG_1103.jpg

Bottom Left, as mentioned, first 4 were really good, but all downhill from there:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/Vorais/IMG_1102.jpg

Middle, was okay, but nothing great...
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/Vorais/IMG_1104.jpg

Really do like the gun though, enough so that I have recently picked up a 10/22 for form practice and looking at adding either a Barrett 98B or Desert Tactic SRS for long range/math practice.

major burnout
11-17-2015, 9:22 PM
Good shooting.

You're ready for the 500m line.

Rosamond
11-18-2015, 6:52 PM
That is not bad, especially for ten round groups. Barrel heating up is causing the groups to open up, only shoot five round groups and let your barrel cool in between.:oji:

Vorais
11-18-2015, 11:03 PM
That is not bad, especially for ten round groups. Barrel heating up is causing the groups to open up, only shoot five round groups and let your barrel cool in between.:oji:

Thanks, I'll try taking a break after five rounds next time. Haven't handled a long gun since I was 12, some 30 years ago so don't really have a lot of experience doing this (first time to fire one again was last month). I appreciate all the advice.

liber
11-18-2015, 11:11 PM
Nice rifle. Gary and Scott are good people over at Gun Vault.

I haven't been to Sunnyvale R&G (even though it's in Cupertino, close to where I live), but I've been meaning to get over there. I usually shoot at Metcalf as they have a 200 yard range. I think Sunnyvale is only 100 yards.

Vorais
11-19-2015, 9:46 AM
Nice rifle. Gary and Scott are good people over at Gun Vault.

I haven't been to Sunnyvale R&G (even though it's in Cupertino, close to where I live), but I've been meaning to get over there. I usually shoot at Metcalf as they have a 200 yard range. I think Sunnyvale is only 100 yards.

That's correct, 100 yard max at Sunnyvale. However, for me it's close enough to my regular work that I can take a long lunch break and go over there when they aren't busy. I was looking at Chabot's as well as I know they have a longer range available. I'll have to take a look at Metcalf too... Thanks!

Kun
11-19-2015, 10:36 AM
That's correct, 100 yard max at Sunnyvale. However, for me it's close enough to my regular work that I can take a long lunch break and go over there when they aren't busy. I was looking at Chabot's as well as I know they have a longer range available. I'll have to take a look at Metcalf too... Thanks!

I picked up my first AR(MCX) at Gun Vault too, they are all nice people there,
bought some Black Hill 69g, went to Chabot's, only tried 100y and 50y, got about 1-1.5" group via MRO red dot, like to go to Sunnyvale RG too.

Kun
11-19-2015, 10:49 AM
I also bought a muzzle device from Amazon, it has less muzzle rise, unlike many muzzle brakes/compensators, this is also less noise, prefer it to the MCX's flash hider.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L73O4FQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00