PDA

View Full Version : Saiga to AK-103 conversion

HendersonDefense
07-16-2008, 9:38 PM
Hi folks,

We just got in relatively small shipment of twelve Saiga 7.62x39 rifles. I couldn't resist today and we already converted one over to an AK-103 configuration. Here is what we did to convert it...

- installed a standard handguard retainer
- installed the FSB with 24.5mm threads
- installed K-Var black furniture (stock, handguards and pistol grip)
- installed and plug welded a new factory bullet guide
- relocated the trigger group and installed a G2 set
- removed the "lug" from the left side of the trunion (inside and out)
- move the trigger guard forward and rivet the rear portion to the receiver
- cut and threaded the cleaning rod
- installed a new upper gas tube and K-Var upper handguard
- installed Bulgarian military-issue 24.5mm muzzle brake
- TIG welded the holes where the old trigger pins and trunion "lug" were located
- removed the ridge in the rear of the magazine well to use standard magazines

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9927/ak103saiga22jw9.jpg

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7858/ak103saiga11st9.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5634/ak103bulletguidewc6.jpg

thanks,
Ron

bmaksdad
07-16-2008, 9:57 PM
Ron, that rifle looks awesome. Are you guys thinking of doing this conversion for customers who send their own Saigas to you? If so, I'm sure they would be lots of interested customers. A conversion with your Russian red laminate furniture would look really good. Keep us posted if you guys are going to start offering this service. I just ordered an AK-101 from you guys which shipped yesterday, I can't wait to pick it up. I have heard nothing but positive reviews on all of your products. One more thing, thanks for continuing to support us here in CA even though we have horrible gun laws, we really appreciate it.

Mike

natedogg1777
07-16-2008, 9:58 PM
Wow that looks great! I'm in the market for a new AK and this was more the route I was thinking of taking anyways. Are you going to be selling these, and if so how much? PM me the particulars...what would this cost, shipped without the PG, and maybe an option to go with wood furniture instead of polymer. Thanks!

bahazero
07-16-2008, 10:17 PM
I am very interested as well. Please provide us with details if you do decide to sell.

Flat Broke
07-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Ron,

You touched on a Saiga mystery that I've been trying to unravel. The lug or extra rivet on the left side has been a source of confusion for me. I'm getting ready to build a Saiga parts kit on an NDS 3, and I was wondering what the deal with the "lug" was. I talked to Bob at KVAR about it, and he did some checking and came back with the following response. "It is a rivet that does the same function as a bullet guide. The bolt hits it and rotates. I will see if I can find anything close to that. Have a nice day.
Bob"

Will the Saiga action cycle properly without the lug in place? I'll be installing a Dinzag bullet guide when I build the kit up, but I'd love whatever information you have on this topic. I had heard from a gentlemen on the Saiga 12 forums that when they tooled the AK100 front trunnion, they removed a shoulder that was there in previous versions. The lug replaced it as a means to use one trunnion accross multiple calibers.

Any insight as to whether or not I need it, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

jumbopanda
07-16-2008, 11:17 PM
The real AK-103 has a side folding polymer stock, although that might require more effort than it's worth.

HendersonDefense
07-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Ron,

Any insight as to whether or not I need it, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

A member in another forum posted some photos demonstrating that the lug is indeed used on current-issue rifles. I thought that it was part of the "sterlizing" of the rifle prior to shipping. I didn't know there was a need for it until I tried to close the bolt group and had no luck. The original bullet guide has the lug which rectified the problem. So, as long as you install a factory bullet guide on your NDS receiver you won't have any problems. If it's already in a parts kit, you can also rivet the bullet guide in place (or weld it) instead of using a screw and Loctite.

As far as offering them, we will convert these rifles and offer them in a California-compliant version like our other rifles. The price is going to be in the mid to upper $700's (in this configuration) because of the cost of the parts and labor involved. I already figured you guys would want some of the Russian-style red furniture and have a couple sets put aside until I make another order. We will also tig weld the trigger guard to the magazine release housing as advised by a member from another forum as well.

As far as side-folding receiver/stock assembly, it might be too expensive and labor intensive to make it worth the extra effort.

thanks,
Ron

Flat Broke
07-17-2008, 9:43 AM
Ron, Thanks for the heads up. I found the guide at K-VAR, so I could go that route, or re-create the lug which Bob at K-VAR is looking into. I don't want to derail this thread any further, so I'll just say that the attention to detail on your builds is nice. The tig filled holes etc are a very nice touch.

Chris

TurboFall
07-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Question: how difficult was it to press out the front sight and gas block to install the standard handguard retainer? I heard the barrel on the saiga needs to be cut to install the retainer? Any truth to that?

HendersonDefense
07-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Question: how difficult was it to press out the front sight and gas block to install the standard handguard retainer? I heard the barrel on the saiga needs to be cut to install the retainer? Any truth to that?

It wasn't too hard because Jim made some holding fixtures for the 20-ton press. It might be difficult for a home conversion without scratching or possibly damaging the crown but as long as you take the time you can get it done.

As far as cutting the barrel, you can mill out the rails on the inside of the retainer because the notch (you have to cut one) on the barrel will keep you in alignment.

thanks,
Ron

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-17-2008, 12:01 PM
What is the advantage of this over a normal AK?

aplinker
07-17-2008, 12:09 PM
What is the advantage of this over a normal AK?

uhhhh... what's a "normal" AK? :)

The point of this is it's available new and Russian. Two things you can no longer get (especially in CA).

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-17-2008, 12:27 PM
The point of this is it's available new and Russian. Two things you can no longer get (especially in CA).

Ah ha. ;)

automatico
07-17-2008, 5:06 PM
That's a great looking rifle! I have an unmodified Saiga 223 right now but if I convert it I'd want it to look like that.

larain60
07-17-2008, 5:39 PM
Henderson you guys do some damn fine work. I need to buy something from you guys.

I just did a Saiga 762 to 103 conversion, and I had a lot of trouble getting the FSB off. I wound up cutting the thing off with a dremel! The key would be having a jig (like you said you guys made) to do both the FSB and the lower retainer.

To avoid the retainer issue after the disaster with the fsb I just used Dinzags retainer (along with his bullet guide to take standard doublestack ak mags).

Oh and after an hour of fiddling with it I got the BHO to work too (thanks youtube video from anonymous guy).

Only thing left to do (which has to be done on any of these conversions) is to feather in some Krylon High Heat BBQ paint on the bottom of the receiver where the original trigger plate was).

All in all the conversion was fun, but frankly if I could have bought one from you guys b4 I did it I probably would have!!

Pic:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/Larain60/arfcom/Saigacomplete.jpg

shooterdave
07-17-2008, 5:49 PM
i'd take one or two!

HendersonDefense
07-23-2008, 7:16 PM
Here are some more pics of the rifle with ALL the holes welded up and the trigger guard trimmed, welded and then blended into the magazine catch assembly.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/9577/ak10323julsideag2.jpg

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1391/ak10323jul08xj6.jpg

thanks,
Ron

Richy
07-23-2008, 7:24 PM
Beautiful! I need one!

Will you guys be at the show next week?

KimberDriven
07-23-2008, 11:47 PM
That is AWESOME!! When you do decide to sell them, let me know because I will buy one in a heartbeat!!

motorhead
07-24-2008, 7:10 AM
very nice.

Vic
09-04-2008, 7:01 PM
Did you start selling any yet? :D