PDA

View Full Version : Reloading equipment is expensive.

Solidsnake87
07-16-2008, 9:40 PM
Just finished placing my order for most of my reloading equipment. Just dropped $1k. :( Just need to get the Giraude trimmer and Denver Instruments scale--another $700 :( I'm sure its will be worth it in the end though. I'm kinda going by the philosophy of buy once, buy nice.

StraightShooter
07-16-2008, 9:43 PM
Just finished placing my order for most of my reloading equipment. Just dropped $1k. :( Just need to get the Giraude trimmer and Denver Instruments scale--another $700 :( I'm sure its will be worth it in the end though. I'm kinda going by the philosophy of buy once, buy nice.

End? What end? There is never an end to buying reloading stuff. Its a freaking black hole! But its fun with good rewards. ;)

Synergy
07-16-2008, 9:44 PM
Use this fun little page to find out your future cost savings
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

dfletcher
07-16-2008, 9:46 PM
Reloading is a very expensive way to save money.

Mikeb
07-16-2008, 9:50 PM
someone here laughed at me when I said you don't save any money reloading... you just get to shoot more.

jandmtv
07-16-2008, 9:51 PM
End? What end? There is never an end to buying reloading stuff. Its a freaking black hole! But its fun with good rewards. ;)

LOL, hahahahahahaha, Both very true comments :D

rayra
07-16-2008, 11:12 PM
"Reloading equipment is expensive"

Only when you buy it all at once. It's pretty affordable when you start out with basic equipment and add to it as you go.

You didn't mention what you got? How many calibers? Accessories?

$700 for a trimmer and a scale??

mltrading
07-16-2008, 11:15 PM

I love your thoughts. You're the man!:D

Full Clip
07-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah, you're spending some dough there. I bought my entire setup for $1K (plus bullets, primer and powder).

Here's my data on some cheap 185grn HPs in .45ACP:
0.158 per round
$7.91 per 50
$158.1 per 1K

185grn Speer Gold Dot HPs in fancy nickel cases:
0.315 per round
$15.73 per 50
$314.6 per 1K
(They retail in boxes of 20 for $23.99, or $1,199.50 per 1K, shipped, from Grafs)

Oh, and the 185grn Nosler JHP Customs I made last night?
0.195 per round
$9.76 per 50
$195.1 per 1K

Reloading may pay for itself in the long run, but in the shorter term, I can shoot MUCH better ammo for a fraction of the price.

Fjold
07-17-2008, 7:11 AM
I don't reload for cost.

I can make much more accurate ammunition than I can buy. The very worst of my bulk reloading for 223 will outshoot factory loads in my guns.

rksimple
07-17-2008, 7:50 AM
"Reloading equipment is expensive"

Only when you buy it all at once. It's pretty affordable when you start out with basic equipment and add to it as you go.

You didn't mention what you got? How many calibers? Accessories?

$700 for a trimmer and a scale??

The Giraud is worth it. The scale, well, I've been doing great with a chargemaster. Its easier as well. Maybe if I were doing BR, I'd look into it. But there are plenty of BR guys using chargemasters, DPS, etc.

Ravenslair
07-17-2008, 9:36 AM
I got this some time ago from someone on glocktalk. It is quite a useful little spreadsheet to see what your reloading costs are as they relate to your initial investment and material used in each reloading thereafter.

USN CHIEF
07-17-2008, 9:52 AM
Use this fun little page to find out your future cost savings
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

Great freaking page Synergy. Thank you soooo much for posting this.:)

Timberwolf
07-17-2008, 9:58 AM
Did we happen to mention that now that you have all the expensive tools to roll your own that it will become an obessession and you will spend twice or three times as much time reloading, experimenting, etc etc as you do shooting.

Sheldon
07-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I got my neighbor into buying and shooting guns recently. I have even offered him use of my reloading equipment....a nice Dillon 1050 and 550 setup for everything he shoots for, so far anyway. He doesn't want to bother.

Everytime we head to Burro he will go through a 100 count box of 45 ACP WWB ($30), a 100 ct. box of 9mm WWB ($20), 2 boxes of 20 ct. .223 Rem ($20), and a bulk box of .22 rimfire Federal ($12). That's over $80 worth of ammo. I know when I first got into firearms I tried to go every week for about the first 10 years. I have dropped that down to once a month or so for the most part, unless the kids are out of school then maybe twice a month. I went through a LOT of ammo...better part of 10K a year in the early years. You make up the costs of the reloading equipment really quick with that volume of shooting.

I was also very fortunate to have gotten most of my high end reloading equipment at a time when there wasn't as high a demand for it, like right now. I have gotten plent of Dillon stuff for a small fraction of what it sells for new. It's very hard to find that nowadays.

Event reloading components have gone up along with loaded ammo prices, but the savings is still there in the same percentage. I do miss the days of cast lead bullets of the past, when in bulk you could get 1K of 9mm/38 caliber bullets for less than $30, and less than $40 for the 45 calibered stuff.

dfletcher
07-17-2008, 11:44 AM
I've been reloading since 1973, currently have dies for about 50 cartridges and I'll bet there are alot of guys who have many more than that. I think for reloaders who use a narrow list of calibers - 38 Special, 45 ACP, 223, 308 & such - reloading alot of ammo for thos limited choices saves $$$ and allows them to tailor ammo to their gun. Smart move.

I've always used reloading as an excuse to buy odd calibers, have even on occasion bought the brass first because I wanted to reload before I had any intention of getting the gun. Or, with the knowledge I can reload cheaper than factory bought a gun I probably would not otherwise have bought - such as a 416 Rigby, 458 Win Mag. $35.00 for a box of reloaded ammo I can handle, $199.00 for factory - no thanks. That's where the "this is expensive" comes in because reloading gives more options, it removes the barrier of limited or expensive factory ammo.

Right on about the cost of supplies going up. I spend more time at gun shows looking for reloading deals than gun deals.

Jicko
07-17-2008, 11:54 AM

1 round of commerical match grade .308 (eg. FGMM) cost about $1 each.

1 round of comparable match grade hand-reload cost about $.33 each.

You save $.66 per round.

Therefore, you will get your $1k back in 1500 rounds. But at ANYTIME, you are likely to get back at least $500(up to $750) for these equipments that you have purchased, so that drop your "even out" point to about 500 to 750 rounds of .308

I think, that's not a bad deal at all!!

The Giraud is worth it. The scale, well, I've been doing great with a chargemaster. Its easier as well. Maybe if I were doing BR, I'd look into it. But there are plenty of BR guys using chargemasters, DPS, etc.

+1 for the Giraud.

The scale, I think you should pass for now.

A electronic scale + dispenser combo... you may want tho... $200 something.... PACT or DPS or RCBS Chargemaster... all good...

capitol
07-17-2008, 12:03 PM

This is the flat out truth, but I still enjoy handloading. Never saved so much going for broke.

grammaton76
07-17-2008, 6:55 PM
Not sure if you've placed your order yet, but if you're looking at Dillon stuff, check out the dealer section of grafs.com. They're the only place I know that sells Dillon gear for less than MSRP.

Of course, I must thank Nefarious for pointing this out to me.

jandmtv
07-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Not sure if you've placed your order yet, but if you're looking at Dillon stuff, check out the dealer section of grafs.com. They're the only place I know that sells Dillon gear for less than MSRP.

Of course, I must thank Nefarious for pointing this out to me.

Shhhhhhhhh! you are giving away all the secrets! :D ;)

ar15barrels
07-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Unless you are really patient, I would pass on the denver instrument scale for now.
I have a denver instrument scale.
It's an amazing thing.
I can cut a single kernel of varget into 3 pieces and weigh each one.
That's far more accurate than you need for match grade loads.
I recently loaded about 150 rounds and it took an average of 1.5 minutes per round to trickle to the exact charge and seat a bullet.
I've been reloading for 12 years, but I just started weighing charges for my precision match ammo this month.
I may break down and get an RCBS chargemaster instead.
While weighing charges down to the single kernel is neat, my patience wears thin quickly.

Pthfndr
07-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Unless you are really patient, I would pass on the denver instrument scale for now.
I have a denver instrument scale.
It's an amazing thing.
I can cut a single kernel of varget into 3 pieces and weigh each one.
That's far more accurate than you need for match grade loads.
I recently loaded about 150 rounds and it took an average of 1.5 minutes per round to trickle to the exact charge and seat a bullet.
I've been reloading for 12 years, but I just started weighing charges for my precision match ammo this month.
While weighing charges down to the single kernel is neat, my patience wears thin quickly.

I would agree with the above. Since I know you're going to be shooting the majority of your rounds inside 800 yards, probably inside 600, I would recommend the Chargemaster. You'll always be using it. Once your skill level gets up there and you shoot a lot of 800, 900, 1000 in a better rifle than the FN, then the better scale can make a difference.

With all due respect to Ahhnother8, I think the Denver scale will slow down your development. At his level of competition, every little bit extra counts. When you can hold sub moa, and shoot a rifle that holds sub 1/2 moa, at 1000 yards, you will too.

Buy the Giraud and get cranking out rounds.

Full Clip
07-18-2008, 5:34 AM

That's what I got. It's great.

mxpatriot51
07-18-2008, 9:48 AM
It hurts now, but when you're loading .223 for $.15 a round (or cheaper if you're like me and have stocked up on components) and everyone else is paying $.30 a round you'll be happy.

Except you won't save any money. You'll just shoot twice as much.