PDA

View Full Version : Choke Question

Dark Water
07-16-2008, 7:57 PM
I would like to shoot some slug through my 870, which choke do I need?

Fjold
07-16-2008, 8:06 PM
Usually people will use cylinder, improved cylinder and at the most modified choke, see which one gives you the best accuracy. It is usually not recommended to use a full choke for slugs.

Dark Water
07-16-2008, 8:38 PM
I had heard somewhere that anything other than a cylinder would blow the barrel off of the gun when shooting slugs.
Also, does it matter if the slug is rifled or not?

randy
07-16-2008, 9:35 PM
I've seen many slugs come out the end of a full choke barrel. No damage no problem with accuracy.

bohoki
07-16-2008, 9:56 PM
ive never seen unrifled slugs only sabot ones

they are designed to be flexible so they will go through the tighest choke

i've never seen decent accuracy out of a slug past 25 yards

but i did shank a gallon jug of old spoiled milk with one at 35 boy i wont do that again

Dark Water
07-16-2008, 10:02 PM
ive never seen unrifled slugs only sabot ones

they are designed to be flexible so they will go through the tighest choke

i've never seen decent accuracy out of a slug past 25 yards

but i did shank a gallon jug of old spoiled milk with one at 35 boy i wont do that again

Why not?

TRAP55
07-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Shooting slugs through a Full choke is a gamble, best case and most common is you'll open the choke up, worse case you'll get a bulge right behind the choke restriction.
I say gamble because every manufacture uses different steel, different thickness of steel, and different choke constrictions that they all label Full.
Remember too that when shooting steel shot through a lead shot choke or choke tube, that a Modified choke for lead shot is a Full choke for steel shot. Shoot steel through a lead shot Full and you'll find out why!
Rifled slugs for smooth bores and sabots for Rifled slug barrels, Fjold nailed it on choke sizes.