PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion on M14SA Federal Ordnance

spex
07-16-2008, 8:03 PM
Hello,

I happen to see at a local pawnshop an M14SA made by Federal Ordnance Inc. It was in decent shape, but bolt was kinda dirty, the barrel apperared to be okay. The serial number was #22709. My search reveals that it was put together with Chinese parts. My question is, what price is acceptable for this rifle? And what is the reliabilty of this particular make of M14. Thanks for your input.

OCArmory
07-16-2008, 9:56 PM
I paid $800 for mine. Runs like a top and is just as accurate as my preban Springfield. I love mine and am always looking to pick them up because they offer an affordable alternative.
Mike

OCArmory
07-16-2008, 9:58 PM
Oh by the way. You might want to take it apart and check all the parts mine had a much higher serial number and the only thing that was chinese left in it was the bolt.
Mike

30Cal
07-17-2008, 9:09 AM
My question is, what price is acceptable for this rifle? And what is the reliabilty of this particular make of M14. Thanks for your input.

Depends on the parts. Fed Ord has an extremely spotty reputation. The Kuhnhausen manual uses them as examples of to illustrate various reasons why a receiver might be unservicible. My M14 smith won't touch them.

Some are OK. Some are worth only the value of whatever USGI parts that they might have.

Without seeing it, I wouldn't pay more than say $600.

socomIInato
07-17-2008, 11:16 AM
I`ve got one, shoots allright after fed ord. change op rod. as i recall these rifles were made from ex israeli rifle kits. bought mine back in the day directly from fed ord. paid about 600.00. I agree 600.00 good price.

spex
07-17-2008, 7:04 PM
Thanks alot for your input gents.. they are asking $850 for it out the door with DROS. However, as I've never owned an M14 before I'm not certain what parts to inspect aside from the obvious parts. As I've mentioned the bolt seems to be in decent shape (albeit dirty) and the barrel still has prominent rifling. Do you think perhaps I should hold off and save a couple more hundred to pick up a Springfield Armory M1A. I was also thinking the
800+ asking price was a bit much.

1919A4
07-17-2008, 7:18 PM
Save a couple hundred more and get a Springfield Armory M1A. There out there for around 1000 bucks. Just have to look around and catch the deals.

Edited to add:
I spent 5 minutes looking around. The cheapest I could find out there was $1150 out on ar15.com. Its a scout

spex
07-17-2008, 8:32 PM
Thanks! I'm now leaning towards saving up for a Springfield!
BTW if anyone can assess the condition of that M14SA and would like to check it out, it's in the central valley, PM if your interested and I can point you in the right direction.

socomIInato
07-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Smart move spex, save your coin and buy a springfield. there many models to choose from. Don`t forget about the warrany you get from springfield. With used rifle from Fed Ord. zero! That would be a bad move!

Prc329
07-19-2008, 5:12 PM
My Fed runs like a champ. I've put 750 rounds threw it so far without a problem. I got it used and haven't done anything to it yet besides switch the stock.

Cypriss32
07-19-2008, 5:26 PM
Buy anything but springfield. Ive had nothing but problems with it. On its 2nd time back. I guess when you use your rifles they break. I was warned about a new Springfield and didnt listen. Now im stuck with a 2,000 POS that doesnt fire. That LRB is looking mighty good!

spex
07-19-2008, 8:06 PM
Thanks again friends, I've decided to stay on the course for a Standard Springfield M1A, with wooden stock for $1703, I was informed by one of the sales staff that they'll have a 20% off all guns in october 08', I figured that will be just right in time. The shop is at Herb Bauer's in Fresno, just a head's up.

jtv3062
07-19-2008, 8:24 PM
For $1703 I would save a little more for a LRB. Hammer forged and way more within USGI specs than sainc, and built with more USGI parts.

With sainc if you want to run a scope you may have trouble with mounting a scope mount to it.

spex
07-20-2008, 9:08 PM
Oh Man! More options to consider:) Well, i'll have to look into LRB as i'm not familiar with them to make any informed decision. Well the quest continues...
thanks for the input

jtv3062
07-20-2008, 9:16 PM
heres the link to LRB http://www.lrbarms.com/

Pvt. Cowboy
07-20-2008, 10:26 PM
A pal of mine had an El Monte CA FedOrd M14SA years ago. It seemed alright, but I found a warning about various critical parts being wildly out of spec on Fulton's site. I warned him about it, but he brushed me off.

Later, he ordered a National Match rear sight assembly for his FedOrd, and we found that it required max left windage just to make center hits at 100 yards. He put the old FedOrd sights back on, and the point of aim returned to normal.

Piece of trash if you ask me. Decent wood furniture though. I heard that FedOrd's 'Tanker' Garands are questionable hack jobs too.

ricknadine1111
07-21-2008, 5:30 PM
Spex where are you at. I have gotten mine back from Springfield with a new trigger and if you want I'll let you shoot it, it's running great right now and I have new cloths for it also. Looks kind of cool in the camo.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/camorifle003.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/latestupdateonriflewithoutmount003.jpg

spex
07-22-2008, 8:27 PM
WOW! That is One Sweet looking rifle... Man, I wish I was impulsive and just do some damage with my Credit Card, but I'm practicing good restraint and just slowly saving up for it instead. One day, I'll have one. But thanks for the offer to shoot your M14, I bet it shoots well. I reside in Fresno... I had the chance to shoot my friends SOCOM 16 and remember how resounding it is to shoot. Very distinct muzzle blast. Hey thanks again for the offer....

Prc329
07-22-2008, 9:55 PM
A pal of mine had an El Monte CA FedOrd M14SA years ago. It seemed alright, but I found a warning about various critical parts being wildly out of spec on Fulton's site. I warned him about it, but he brushed me off.

Later, he ordered a National Match rear sight assembly for his FedOrd, and we found that it required max left windage just to make center hits at 100 yards. He put the old FedOrd sights back on, and the point of aim returned to normal.

Piece of trash if you ask me. Decent wood furniture though. I heard that FedOrd's 'Tanker' Garands are questionable hack jobs too.

Not all of them are bad. If you buy one have it checked by a smith that specializes in M14/M1As. Mine works flawless and wears a set of NM sights. Zeroed just fine and shots better than I can with iron sights.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/naytwan/Guns/_MG_0760.jpg

That is before I removed the rail and went back to ironsights.

spex
07-23-2008, 1:04 PM
Hey PRC239, is that a Fed ord rifle? Nice custom stock job, looks solid!
It's good that you have had good luck with it, does your Fed ord have a low serial number?

Prc329
07-23-2008, 9:36 PM
Its a high number. Supposed to be Chinese parts with a us made receiver with a chrome lined barrel from my research. I haven't checked all the parts to see if they are all Chinese but from my reading it is Chinese parts kit rifle.