PDA

View Full Version : Grendel fever.

sonicbuff
07-16-2008, 7:03 PM
I want to build a Black Grendel, and looking for a complete upper assembly. I found that ColdWarShooters has good price on a Tactical 16" assembly, but they're out of stock.

Anyone might know where I can find a complete Grendel 16" upper assembly at less than $600 ?

vet
07-16-2008, 8:10 PM
have you checked alexander arms?
http://www.alexanderarms.com/siteshopper.htm?cat=15&item=65

I'm saving my pennies for the 24" :43:

sonicbuff
07-16-2008, 9:53 PM
have you checked alexander arms?
http://www.alexanderarms.com/siteshopper.htm?cat=15&item=65

I'm saving my pennies for the 24" :43:

I can buy direct, but I think some distributors might have better discounts. ;)

novanryder
07-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Hell I've already built 2 Grendels. I have a 16" barrel running at the moment which I just added a match trigger, PRS stock, and new Leupold optics to... I was having some trouble for reason with it. Groups would kind of jump. For 3 shots you'd have lovely accuracy in one place, then the next shot would jump to someplace else like an inch away at 50yds (i was zeroing my scope at the time) then put 3 there, then do the same thing AGAIN and put 3 nicely in a different place. It was really, really weird. Since that range run I tightened down all my screws, went from a CTR stock to a PRS, put in the match trigger, blah blah blah. I was running 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips from AA... beautiful ammo, by the way. I just stopped after a triad of those jumping groups and said screw it, I'll take it home and tune it up as best I can, so I need to take the new and improved one out for a spin. Does anyone know what those jumping groups might mean? The RO at Chabot said it would normally be attributed to loose optics. I am running an American Defense Recon-X cammed scope base with 1" rings and a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm scope. I actually built this entire thing myself, so maybe I screwed up somewhere? Either way I'm confused. Aaaaaaand... which damn boresnake fits the 6.5 Grendel? Seriously!

762cavalier
07-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Aaaaaaand... which damn boresnake fits the 6.5 Grendel? Seriously!

Ummm maybe a 6.5mm boresnake?!:p:D

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=470826

capitol
07-17-2008, 9:09 AM
I was running 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips from AA... beautiful ammo, by the way.

Try different ammo

sonicbuff
07-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Groups would kind of jump. For 3 shots you'd have lovely accuracy in one place, then the next shot would jump to someplace else like an inch away at 50yds (i was zeroing my scope at the time) then put 3 there, then do the same thing AGAIN and put 3 nicely in a different place.

Logically, I'd double check the optics setup. ;)

thmpr
07-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Maybe at the last shot you got excited....:p

sb_pete
07-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I was having some trouble for reason with it. Groups would kind of jump. For 3 shots you'd have lovely accuracy in one place, then the next shot would jump to someplace else like an inch away at 50yds (i was zeroing my scope at the time) then put 3 there, then do the same thing AGAIN and put 3 nicely in a different place. It was really, really weird. ...
...I actually built this entire thing myself, so maybe I screwed up somewhere? Either way I'm confused.

First thing to check would be optics and all attachments there. I am assuming your optics are properly mounted on the upper rail only and not touching or connected to a rail on your handguard (have to ask)?

If that's not it then check for a loose barrel on the upper. This can do exactly what you are describing. Never seen it myself, but just read an article where the writer was having that same problem at a carbine class and it turned out to be a barrel not fully tightened.

After that I don't really know, just start checking every point where something touches the barrel...

-Pete

DJDace
07-17-2008, 1:12 PM
There are still days I really regret selling my Grendel :/

But, then I go and run a few stages at a CAS match and remember why I made the switch :)

One day I will build another 6.5mm long range rifle, just after I spend 10 grand or so on cowboy guns :D

Rust
07-17-2008, 3:36 PM
I'm still glad you made that sacrifice.