PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the rear sight on an M1 carbine

live2offroad
07-16-2008, 5:00 PM
I'm taking my Dad's M1 Carbine to the range and I've noticed the rear sight is shifted all the way left.. I can see no method to move the rear sight, nor even a way to loosen it.

Any thoughts?

-Peter (sorry if this is dumb question, I just have next to no experience with this firearm.)

NRAhighpowershooter
07-16-2008, 5:17 PM
You'l lhave to use a drift punch to drift the rear sight. Is this one the the Italian CMP Carbines? All of mine I received came withthe rear sights drifted over to the left and I had to center them.

live2offroad
07-16-2008, 6:34 PM
You'l lhave to use a drift punch to drift the rear sight. Is this one the the Italian CMP Carbines? All of mine I received came withthe rear sights drifted over to the left and I had to center them.

This was purchased by my Father in 1958 (from the NRA I believe), I have little info on it.. He asked me to take it out and stretch it's legs a bit..

Please explain the "drift punch".. Is it a specific tool, or can I use a dowel and hammer to bump it over?

-Peter

Fate
07-16-2008, 7:12 PM
How about you actually shoot it first before you go messing with the sights? You might be trying to "fix" something that's already fixed.

live2offroad
07-16-2008, 8:04 PM
How about you actually shoot it first before you go messing with the sights? You might be trying to "fix" something that's already fixed.

Wise advice, but I was told that the last time it was fired the sights were off.. So, I said I'd look into it.. Thats when I noticed the rear sight is way left. I'm going to do my best to zero it at the range, and needed to know how to adjust the rear sight to do that..

Fate
07-16-2008, 8:23 PM
Ah, ok then. ;)

Remember to put some support beneath the receiver when you drift the sight as it will usually take some work to get it moving. You really don't want to crack the dovetail! :eek: