PDA

View Full Version : Ordering AR today...Need Help

Dwikkles
07-16-2008, 3:40 PM
My Girlfriend is ordering an AR Lower half today to an FFL.

What all do we need to make it legal?

As far as i know we just need the bullet button add on.

She's getting a Stag Arms Tactical lower complete.

Jicko
07-16-2008, 3:53 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/faq.php

"As far as i know we just need the bullet button add on." <- and this need to be installed BEFORE the weapon comes into the state of CA.

AND =< 10 ROUNDS MAGAZINE.

And, longer than 30" OAL.

And, longer than 16" barrel.

bigmike82
07-16-2008, 3:54 PM
Look at the CA AW ID Flowchart in the upper right.

To fix your magazine, you can use either a bullet button or a prince 50 kit.

If you'd like to go with a featureless build, the monsterman grips of the U-15 stocks are also an option.

Dwikkles
07-16-2008, 4:01 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/faq.php

"As far as i know we just need the bullet button add on." <- and this need to be installed BEFORE the weapon comes into the state of CA.

AND =< 10 ROUNDS MAGAZINE.

And, longer than 30" OAL.

And, longer than 16" barrel.

Whats 30" OAL?

doctor_vals
07-16-2008, 4:05 PM
Whats 30" OAL?

OverAll Length

383green
07-16-2008, 4:20 PM

If the lower will arrive fully assembled, then it will need to have either a magazine lock (such as the Bullet Button) or a non-pistol-grip (such as the Monster Man) installed before it enters the state.

If you cannot order it pre-configured in a wacky California-legal configuration, then you should instead order a stripped lower, and then assemble it with suitable California-legal parts after you take possession of it.

Assembling a stripped lower can be a bit tricky the first time, particularly if you don't have a few special tools (which can be bought and/or fabricated). If neither you nor your girlfriend feels comfortable assembling the lower, don't despair. Lots of folks have built these things before, and you should have no trouble finding help here on the board. It's not rocket science, but there are several tiny little springs and pins that are easy to lose, and a couple of things like installing the front detent pin spring/plunger and driving in the bolt hold-open roll pin which are much easier with some special tools (which happen to be cheap to buy and/or easy to make). Also, if you will be mounting a collapsable stock, then you'll need a special wrench (again, they're commonly available, and there's a good chance that there's somebody near you who has one).

So, how does she want to configure her new rifle?

Nose Nuggets
07-16-2008, 4:28 PM
just to confirm, even with a non detachable mag, you still need to be OAL 30" and minimum 16" barrel?

i am also planing on an AR purchase this month so im sorry to toss my hat in on your thread here.

383green
07-16-2008, 4:39 PM
just to confirm, even with a non detachable mag, you still need to be OAL 30" and minimum 16" barrel?

Yes, you need to meet those length requirements no matter what. A barrel shorter than 16" would make it a Short-Barreled Rifle (SBR), which violates federal and/or state law unless you jump through all of the required hoops for NFA weapons.

CA and the feds treat the overall length of rifles a bit differently, but here in CA it needs to be at least 30" long in its shortest configuration (i.e., with the stock folded if it has a folding or telescopic stock).

Rifles like the Kel-Tec SU-16CA get to be shorter than 30" when folded only because they cannot be fired when they're folded. The AR doesn't get this benefit.

Somebody please yell at me if I got any details wrong here! :p

i am also planing on an AR purchase this month so im sorry to toss my hat in on your thread here.

I think your question is entirely appropriate to this particular thread.

KDOFisch
07-16-2008, 4:41 PM

That's correct.

And from a practical standpoint, I can tell you that some lowers and uppers don't always have the same tolerances for your pivot pins, or even the two gals fitting together. If you can, stick with the same brand upper and lower.

383green
07-16-2008, 4:46 PM
As a data point, I didn't have any problems putting Bushmaster uppers onto LCW lowers.

Nose Nuggets
07-16-2008, 5:08 PM
good to know, thanks guys. i plan on going the prince 50 route with an 18" barrel and a telescoping stock. have not cornered any particular manufacturers but im not one to skimp on quality.

18" is good to about 600 yards eh? give or take?

6172crew
07-16-2008, 5:20 PM
good to know, thanks guys. i plan on going the prince 50 route with an 18" barrel and a telescoping stock. have not cornered any particular manufacturers but im not one to skimp on quality.

18" is good to about 600 yards eh? give or take?

With the right ammo and a high end barrel, Id say yea.

Look at SPR barrels, Noveski and White Oak.

BroncoBob
07-16-2008, 6:29 PM
Make it easy on yourself and contact Chris at www.Lanworldinc.com and order the lower CA. legal and ship it to your local friendly OLL FFL. You can get the whole package from Lanworld for just around $851.00 + CA Kit ($50.00) + $20.00 shipping for a total of $921.00 without dros. Then you can dress it your way.

Stag Model 3
Caliber: 5.56 Nato Chamber
Upper: Forged and Mil Spec.
Sights: None
Barrel: 16" Chrome Lined 1/9 Twist
Magazine: 30 Round (10 Round for California)
Stock: 6 Position Collapsible
Includes life-time warranty and hard case

Right Handed $851.00: SA3

Left Handed $874.00: SA3L

Nose Nuggets
07-17-2008, 9:12 AM
Bronco, does that stag model in your last post meet the 30" total length requirements?

BroncoBob
07-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Bronco, does that stag model in your last post meet the 30" total length requirements?

Yes sir, it does. I have bought a complete model 3 Stag from Chris and 1 Stag lower that I mated with a DPMS upper. The nice thing about the model 3 is that it is a flat top and has no front sight so it is great for a nice set of optics.

My Model 3 Stag with 6 position adjustable stock, scope, Prince 50 mag lock and 10rd mag
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-015S.jpg

My Stag lower with A2 stock with DPMS 16" bull barrel upper, scope, BB and 10/20rd mag
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-014S.jpg

BONECUTTER
07-17-2008, 11:02 AM
My Girlfriend is ordering an AR Lower half today to an FFL.

What all do we need to make it legal?

As far as i know we just need the bullet button add on.

Hmmmmmm......I pretty sure I sold her a gun yesterday and met you.

You two go to J&J and buy from a guy named Nick (me)???

Nose Nuggets
07-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Yes sir, it does. I have bought a complete model 3 Stag from Chris and 1 Stag lower that I mated with a DPMS upper. The nice thing about the model 3 is that it is a flat top and has no front sight so it is great for a nice set of optics.

My Model 3 Stag with 6 position adjustable stock, scope, Prince 50 mag lock and 10rd mag

thats nice. i dont think i will be getting any glass like you have, which looks quite exceptional, but i am planning to go with some mid-distance sights like an EoTech or equivalent, so the no front sight is nice.

Ironchef
07-17-2008, 1:00 PM
I thought a lower could go without a mag locking device as long as it didn't have the "semi-auto" or "centerfire" characteristics of a .223 upper with a functioning gas port? At least that's what's needed to apply 12276.1, right?