PDA

View Full Version : Getting Bored - New OLL Calling

emc002
07-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Ok so here's what I have or am building:

AR15 - 5.56 16" CMMG Midlength MedCon w/Magpul CTR, ERGO Grip, detachable carry handle, GG&G VFG, GG&G Flashlight Mount w/Surefire P6, BB.
AR15 - .223 24" SS RRA Varmint Upper w/A2 Stock, MMG, Armalite Scope Mount & 4-12x40 Bushnell 3200, Hogue FF Handguard, Harris Bipod
AR10 - .308 16" Armalite Upper CQB Style Rifle w/LMT SOPMOD, Magpul MIAD, Aimpoint ML3 2MOA, rails TBD, GG&G front & rear BUIS, Tango Down VFG, BB15
AR10 - .260 Rem 24" DPMS Upper w/Magpul PRS, DPMS Tacticalgrip, Nightforce NXS, Badger Ordnance FF Handguard, Harris Bipod, BB15

So I have another Spikes OLL and figure these are my choices:

Big Bore:
.450 Bushmaster
.458 SOCOM
.50 Beowulf
Do I really need any of these with a .308 CQB rifle? Ammo's going to cost more, so what's the benefit?

Cheap to Shoot:
.22 LR - I have a GSG-5, so this doesn't really appeal to me at all.
9 mm - I have no 9mm guns, but the wife just picked one up so I'll start reloading 9mm soon.

Other Calibers:
5.45x39 – Why not just a 5.56 or get another AK?
7.62x39 – I'm getting a RPK, so why?
6.5 Grendel – Flat, what does it do my .260 Rem won’t? I guess it could replace my AR15 with the 24" SS bullbarrel...
6.8 SPC – Why? Again the .308 CQB I already have is a better choice I think.

Ok, thoughts?

RobG
07-16-2008, 10:49 AM
I say .50 Beo. Big boom, big holes, and you can say you have a 50 cal :D

aplinker
07-16-2008, 12:40 PM
5.45x39 is about the cheapest rifle ammo out there. It's about 1/2 the price of .223. If you have a local range that allows steel jacketed ammo it's a bargain. But I'd much rather shoot it out of an AK.

Also, while ballistics of the grendel won't really allow anything more than the .260, you'd be shooting it out of a much more friendly platform that's lighter weight, cheaper and more compact than the AR10.

I like the big bore guys, but to me... I'd rather have something else right now.

here are some things you might consider........

- 18" SPR .223 (or grendel)

- Ultra-light carbine fighter (something in the sub-6lb range with a lightweight 14.5" barrel) .223

Personally, if I were to have a rifle for a pistol caliber, I'd go with the HK USC - it's lightweight and such a smooth shooter.

mltrading
07-16-2008, 2:51 PM
I'd say 9mm and/or 6.8 SPC. For 6.8 SPC, you can use existing AR15 lower receivers. The 308 build will need a 308 receiver.

emc002
07-16-2008, 3:07 PM
here are some things you might consider........

- 18" SPR .223 (or grendel)

- Ultra-light carbine fighter (something in the sub-6lb range with a lightweight 14.5" barrel) .223

Can you provide specs of what would go with each of these builds?

Stock
Upper Type & Brands if appropriate
Handguards
Sights
Grips

Thanks!

Josh3239
07-16-2008, 4:08 PM
The big bores all seem expensive; expensive uppers, expensive ammo.

I tend to like small, lightweight carbines so I love the 5.56 AR15. I have owned a 9mm AR15 and that was also really nice. 5.45 is extremely cheap right now and don't see it ever going up or drying up anytime soon.

Since you already own rifles that fire the 5.56, .22lr, 7.62x39, and the 308, if you get another AR that takes one of those cartidges that means when you buy more ammo you can keep the different types to a minimum. I like to do that (a little OCD thing I guess), just makes restocking on ammo easier.

saber
07-16-2008, 4:14 PM
Instead of some different calibers, have you thought about doing some different styles of rifles. Besides those mentioned, you could do:

- A retro AR-15 build to match the M16 look. That seems kind of popular with others.
- A stock AR-15 without rails, optics, forward grip, etc (iron sights, gasp!!)
- An XM-177 clone (the cool AR carbine before the M4)

I would agree that a 9mm would be good. I think you have all the other calibers covered with what you have now and adding a bunch more calibers would just be overkill.

I'm so jealous of all your toys, by the way.

apbrian112
07-16-2008, 4:25 PM
510dtc... just cause :jump:

sb_pete
07-16-2008, 4:56 PM
How about an SDM-R in either 6.5 Grendal with 18" fluted SPR barrel or 5.56 in one of those fluted 20" SS 1/8twist, polygonal rifled Lothar Walther SDM barrels.
Free float it in one of those beefy Alexander Arms side charging handle uppers. Or use a gas piston system.... mmm tasty:chris:

6.5 Grendal doesn't really do anything that .260 won't... except fit in an AR15 that is. AR-10's are great, but they are much larger and heavier. They also have less of an aftermarket.

-Big bores are cool and would be great for pig hunting, but I don't honestly see any practical, civilian advantages over a 12Ga. If you do it though, I think it was .450 BM that has the largest bullet choice selection.
-6.8 SPC is somewhat pointless IMO, given the options of mk262 5.56 or 6.5 grendal.
-Russian calibers belong in Russian guns.
-.22lr is cool just for the ability to make a cheap, fun tacticool plinker with a pistol grip AND normal mag release. But you already have a GSG5...
-9mm, why?

Like saber said, you could go for something you don't have style-wise. It seems you have either carbines or giant varmint guns. So how about an SDM-R rifle?

BTW, I too am extremely friggin jealous.

xcrunner805
07-16-2008, 7:26 PM
Build a CA legal Sig 556, those are badass!

xcrunner805
07-16-2008, 7:43 PM
Or try a OLL with a gas piston upper by Patriot Ordnance Factory ! (you might go broke though)

aplinker
07-16-2008, 10:37 PM
ha ha... the Gas Piston bandwagonners are out in force.

A piston adds ZERO capability for the AR (not the TRUE M4, though) with some significant defects added.

I never have cheap advice, so I would personally build for the SPR:
- Compass Lake SPR Barrel
- GG&G or PRI gas block/sight
- PRI or VTAC free float tube
- Quality upper (Daniel Defense, LaRue or VLTOR MUR)
- SOPMOD or EMOD stock (whichever you prefer - I like the SOPMOD)
- Gesseile DMR trigger (or RRA NM)
- LaRue scope mount (rather than the traditional Mod 0 rail)
- OPS Inc brake
- KAC 600m BUIS rear

Will look a bit like this
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/TriChrome/Mk12_MOD0_SPR3.jpg

For the lightweight fighter it's hard to beat the N4 lightweight from Noveske. You might consider the VTAC version
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u-lc-vtac&cat=68&page=1&search=&since=&status=
I'd ask them to swap for an AAC Blackout over the YHM....

You could also DIY...

For this I might consider the Magpul CTR, but the EMOD or SOPMOD are good too. The CTR saves a few ounces. A nice light T1 micro aimpoint would make a good addition (or a Burris Fastfire).

emc002
07-17-2008, 8:48 AM
First, thanks everybody for the great suggestions.

I never have cheap advice
I have yet to have an AR-15 build come in under $1000 and most of the components you listed are one at least one of my rifles! I guess I could cannibalize :eek: them...

I guess at this point I'm just more interested in trying something new and that hopefully fills a niche I don't have.

While historically accurate firearms are novel, they wouldn't do anything my others don't do. And, BTW, my AR-15 CQB uses a detachable carry handle for now (yes iron sights).

If I did decide to build a 6.5 Grendel, I'd just sell off the 24" SS .223 RRA Varmint upper and slap a new upper on that build.

So I guess that takes me to:
Lightweight
SPR
9mm

aplinker
07-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Honestly... there are an infinite number of niches for ARs at the same time there are only really two.

If you neglect price (for both ammo and rifles) there's really no rifle you could build that couldn't be covered by a AR-15 carbine (say a 16" midlength lightweight in .223) and a 20" precision AR-308. Everything else just modifies the needs and trades off - less weight for less power & distance, etc.

What 9mm did the wife get? You might consider a magwell that can take the same mags and build up the pistol caliber carbine. I'd still rather have a rifle built as a pistol caliber carbine, but you could do worse than a 9mm AR :)

emc002
07-17-2008, 1:42 PM
Honestly... there are an infinite number of niches for ARs at the same time there are only really two.

If you neglect price (for both ammo and rifles) there's really no rifle you could build that couldn't be covered by a AR-15 carbine (say a 16" midlength lightweight in .223) and a 20" precision AR-308. Everything else just modifies the needs and trades off - less weight for less power & distance, etc.

What 9mm did the wife get? You might consider a magwell that can take the same mags and build up the pistol caliber carbine. I'd still rather have a rifle built as a pistol caliber carbine, but you could do worse than a 9mm AR :)

You're right, really there are only two niches - close & far in the grossest terms. I used be lazy so I kept all my rifles in just a few calibers for reloading purposes. But I'm getting bored and have been adding new calibers lately (.260 rem for example) to spice things up.
I'm really heading towards my last AR build here, I'm going to change tracks and focus more on my shooting and try some competitions soon.

Oh and for the wife, we're picking up that XD SC 9mm that was for sale on here this Saturday.