PDA

View Full Version : Really dumb upper Q: help a newbie?

workinwifdakids
07-16-2008, 12:14 AM
I want an upper with a 20" barrel, and I want the removeable carry handle/sight mounted on a flat top, with forward regular iron sights. I also want to be able to mount a forward pistol grip.

Am I going to have to order this all separately, or is there an upper that fits my bill?

Stanze
07-16-2008, 12:17 AM
How much do you plan on spending?

Whatever upper you decide, I'd suggest the government profile 20" barrel to keep the weight down.

heycorey
07-16-2008, 4:21 AM
An AR15 is just like a Whopper ... you can have it your way. The reason the AR15 is so popular is that it's very modular. You're basically describing a standard A4 upper (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=267). I linked to RRA just because they have lots of options on their site for you to compare. You can order an upper straight from any one of the major manufacturers; RRA, Bushmaster, DPMS, CMMG, etcetera, etcetera ... and have it shipped to your door. Check them all out and find one with the options you like. Many of the major mfg's will have an option to add a railed forearm (for that tacticool forward grip - better yet, get a bipod ... they make for a nice forward grip when circumstances call for it and ... it's a bipod too :cool2:). Since you're going with a 20" barrel, you should probably go with a free-floated forend to gain more accuracy.

If I were in the market for what you're looking for, I'd go to the ARFCOM Equipment Exchange (http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=7) and look for a Colt take-off upper (make sure it includes the BCG).

aplinker
07-16-2008, 1:51 PM
Heycorey is on the money.

Personally, I feel a 20" barrel is too long for anything but a bench gun, as barrel whip decreases accuracy with a gov't profile to keep the weight down. If you're putting a VFG on it I'm assuming you're planning on shooting from other positions and running/gunning.

You're really not doing anything out of the realm of normal, though. CMMG will have what you need, as well as dozens of others.

mltrading
07-16-2008, 3:46 PM
How about a custom build with 18" CMMG SPR BBL + MEGA flat-top receiver + YHM light-weight rifle-length free-float HG ?

workinwifdakids
07-16-2008, 7:52 PM
Yeah, mltrading! That sounds outstanding, as 18" isn't beyond the realm of what I'd do, especially with ucla plinker's comment about inaccuracy. The problem is someone here told me I really shouldn't buy the upper/barrel assembly in pieces for my 1st AR build. I'm kind of nervous.

aplinker
07-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah, mltrading! That sounds outstanding, as 18" isn't beyond the realm of what I'd do, especially with ucla plinker's comment about inaccuracy. The problem is someone here told me I really shouldn't buy the upper/barrel assembly in pieces for my 1st AR build. I'm kind of nervous.

I think he has it built up. MLTrading is a very nice vendor here.

My comment about accuracy is simply that there's really a diminishing return for a .223 rifle as you go longer and try to keep it a manageable weight for carrying around. Length adds velocity which adds to accuracy at distance, but you have to stiffen as you go longer to keep it accurate - which adds weight.

PS - If possible get a rifle length gas with the 18" barrel a-la SPR, rather than the midlength that seems to crop up a lot now. An SPR profile would be about perfect, too (though my personal choice would be a RECCE 16" :D )

mltrading
07-16-2008, 11:26 PM

You'd have "first time" on everything.

My own AR upper halves are never came-in-completed since the first one, even I was a newbie to AR platform. If you are not the DIY type of person, it's better to get an already-built one. However, there are still chances that you need to de-bug/fix/tweak on the already-built ones.:p

mltrading
07-16-2008, 11:28 PM
I think he has it built up. MLTrading is a very nice vendor here.

My comment about accuracy is simply that there's really a diminishing return for a .223 rifle as you go longer and try to keep it a manageable weight for carrying around. Length adds velocity which adds to accuracy at distance, but you have to stiffen as you go longer to keep it accurate - which adds weight.

PS - If possible get a rifle length gas with the 18" barrel a-la SPR, rather than the midlength that seems to crop up a lot now. An SPR profile would be about perfect, too (though my personal choice would be a RECCE 16" :D )

Thanks for your compromises! It's my pleasure to serve the community.

My current inventory is CMMG 18" SPR BBL with rifle-length gas port. :D
It has not been built yet. Who wants it?