PDA

View Full Version : Disassembly of the Firearm Action?

XDshooter
07-15-2008, 11:16 PM
What does this mean exactly in regards to an AR?

Thanks

packnrat
07-15-2008, 11:34 PM
i would say taking the gun apart.

like in removing a couple pins and taking the sear, trigger and other parts out of the reciver.
taking the bolt carrier out of the upper and taking it apart
all in the name of a good cleaning.

or in short just removing the upper from the lower.

talking ar here right.

XDshooter
07-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Yes, in regards to an AR.

This is in the context of the law regarding what is a detachable magazine.

tgriffin
07-16-2008, 7:09 AM
Yes, in regards to an AR.

This is in the context of the law regarding what is a detachable magazine.

Still not quite sure what you are getting at here, but I would have to imagine its been covered here at some point.

XDshooter
07-16-2008, 8:24 AM
Still not quite sure what you are getting at here, but I would have to imagine its been covered here at some point.

That's what I thought too, but I couldn't find anything. It's all regarding the tool part of the law.

It's simple. What is the minimum in regards to an AR to satisfy this requirement of the law?

At what point does this part of the law become satisfied?

-Rear take down pin out and upper tilted away from lower?
-Upper completely separated from lower?
-Trigger group removed?

For example one version of the Kel-tec SU-16 can fold, but cannot be fired from the folded position. Would this comply with the law?

sorensen440
07-16-2008, 8:30 AM
not sure what law your referring to

shonc99
07-16-2008, 9:32 AM

As far as AR's are concerned this HAS to be acceptable as the fixed magazine rifles which the DOJ signed off on are reloaded like this. The FAB-10 and Bushmaster come to mind

If you had to remove the rear pin to change magazines, it should still also apply as you have disassembled the action

dfletcher
07-16-2008, 12:14 PM
A very vague memory on this - but as regards AW laws (proposed, not adopted?) a semi auto can have a detacheable magazine if the action must be disassembled to switch out the magazine by hand? Something along those lines, as in to remove an AR or FAL magazine you'd have to separate top from bottom?

M. Sage
07-16-2008, 1:37 PM
That's what I thought too, but I couldn't find anything. It's all regarding the tool part of the law.

It's simple. What is the minimum in regards to an AR to satisfy this requirement of the law?

At what point does this part of the law become satisfied?

-Upper completely separated from lower?
-Trigger group removed?

For example one version of the Kel-tec SU-16 can fold, but cannot be fired from the folded position. Would this comply with the law?

All it takes for a magazine to not be considered "detachable" is for a tool to be needed to remove the magazine. A tool is pretty much anything that isn't a person's finger.

The Bullet Button magazine lock kit fits the definition just fine. Disassembling the action is not needed for legality, since it says "disassemble" nowhere in the law.

I have no idea what you mean by the Kel-Tec example...

ETA: The Bullet Button is this: http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=265&zenid=5fbfd266f07c85a20e12c9d8394b6fe9

XDshooter
07-16-2008, 7:46 PM
I'm no noob to BB's. :) All of my AR's have them.

I would like this discussion to stay on track and not take a wrong turn down the "tool" road. We all know the tool part of the law;however, I specifically would like to hear some discussion regarding the other part of the definition of what constitutes a detachable magazine.

Thanks M Sage

Oh, what I mean by the Kel-tec example was whether it would satisfy disassembly of the firearm action.

All it takes for a magazine to not be considered "detachable" is for a tool to be needed to remove the magazine. A tool is pretty much anything that isn't a person's finger.

The Bullet Button magazine lock kit fits the definition just fine. Disassembling the action is not needed for legality, since it says "disassemble" nowhere in the law.

I have no idea what you mean by the Kel-Tec example...

ETA: The Bullet Button is this: http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=265&zenid=5fbfd266f07c85a20e12c9d8394b6fe9

XDshooter
07-16-2008, 7:48 PM
As far as AR's are concerned this HAS to be acceptable as the fixed magazine rifles which the DOJ signed off on are reloaded like this. The FAB-10 and Bushmaster come to mind

If you had to remove the rear pin to change magazines, it should still also apply as you have disassembled the action

I thought about the Bushy Carbon-15 and I thought the mag was epoxied in there.

So it can be removed? Cause that would suck if it couldn't.