PDA

View Full Version : First Semi rifle for lefty

hollowpoint331
07-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Hello this is my first time posting on this site so want to say hello my name is Tony from San Diego, also I am so glad to find a place to talk about guns were there are people who I can relate to on important information about guns in California.
So with out wasting anymore of your time...
I am in the market for a semi-auto rifle . I am left handed so I really want a true left handed rifle, I believe if I am going to fork over $1000 of hard earned cash I should have one that is fit for me. 2 of my friends (right handed) just purchased sig 556 swat and I really like the look. Unfortunately they don't make it in left handed. I heard some lefties have one with no problems but I don't want to take a chance. So my question is if I want a rifle that looks almost exactly like it but for lefty what should I get? I am willing to spend up to $1500 with gadgets (flash light, optics etc..). Quality, performance, reliability is important. I will be shooting brass reloads (picked up from gun show) I don't want to build it either. AK or AR platform I could go for both.
Any help would be great and sorry for the long post
Thank you in advanced

TurboFall
07-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Stag makes left-handed rifles AR-15's IIRC. Check them out.

Saigon1965
07-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Welcome.

AR uppers are available in both, just slap an ambi safety and you're gtg.

USN CHIEF
07-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Check with one of the vendors here on Cal Guns. Fort Courage Armory.

zcktomcat
07-15-2008, 11:55 PM
if you really want to go crazy i think armalite makes a lower with both ambi bolt and mag releases.

krby
07-16-2008, 7:01 AM
Welcome fellow lefty!

Think about why you really want/need a semi-auto left handed gun. The usual reasons:

1) The cases ejecting across your field of vision (also, if there's a problem in theory your face is protected more by being on the other side of the gun from the ejecction port

2) Manipulating the controls

I have no problems with #1 on semi auto shotguns or semi-auto rifles from friends. Your mileage may vary. Try it. For #2, some leftys can use a right-handed bolt action well, I can't (well I haven't spent more than 20 rounds trying, but all 20 rounds sucked). For semi-autos, this should be much less of a problem, but you should try out the right handed version of the exact gun you want to buy to see how it work for you. Small differences in safety selector placement or magazine (well bullet button or whatever) placement might make all the difference in usability.

Why "make it work" with a right-handed gun? More choices. Unless the exact gun you want to buy comes in a left-handed model that you can actually get your hands on (even if a company says they make it, finding one can be tough), you may be settling for a different gun when the right handed model is completely usable for you.

Seriously spend some time on this and try your friends rifles if you can. I eventually decided that I while I can make a right-handed safety work on a pistol, I don't like it and it's never quick. So, ambi-safeties on all my pistols. For shotguns, I don't mind the right-handed models at all (semi or pump) either because I decided I don't use the safety switch or I can manipulate it just fine. For bolt action rifles, I want a left-handed bolt. The right-handed bolt didn't work. For many semi-auto rifles, I don't have a problem, but I'll revisit this more before I buy my first.

packnrat
07-16-2008, 9:53 AM
if you ever make it up to reno, check out cabals as they have a good (in stock) number of lefteys.

but check out the links on this site for a better number of leftys to choose from.

Darklyte27
07-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Stag arms is the way to go! check out my toys in my sig.

Guntech
07-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Stag AR is fully left handed as the lower receivers are the same on all of them. Making the mag release on the right hand side. And the bolt release is on the left side and you cant reach it with your hand thats on the pistol grip. Other than that the shells eject out the left side and the fire selector is ambi. Stags are great guns, I have never shot the lefty only handled it as I am a righty, but I have several Stags and CMMG and others and Stags can keep up with the best of em. Sometimes the keys are staked improperly but its an easy fix.

t0kie
07-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Unless you know how to build one you can buy the parts, otherwise like others said: Stag Arms also makes rifles for lefty.
________
Live sex webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Jason762
07-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Just so you know, a Stag AR-15 isn't your only choice.

http://www.lefthandrifles.com/ Noveske made AR15's are available here (bolt guns too if that's what you're looking for)

Ballistic043
07-16-2008, 11:18 AM
i will have to agree. my first AR was a lefty and it was kind of a pain to operate it. brass deflecting across my face, the spray of lubricants and cordite getting in my eyes :), bolt catch was also a pain to use.

it was cool to see the reactions at the range though. it is nice when mr south side gangster to your left is ejecting AK brass into your face. gives you a reason to throw some back with your lefty AR !

"yo, fool! That M16 is backwardsz!"

hybridatsun350
07-16-2008, 11:27 AM
brass deflecting across my face, the spray of lubricants and cordite getting in my eyes :)

Your shooting cordite through an AR? Are you hand-loading? haha, j/k

To the OP: I would suggest building yourself a bada*s left handed AR. You need to jump right into the OLL (off-list lower) scene and start running with it!:43:

hollowpoint331
07-16-2008, 11:29 AM
i will have to agree. my first AR was a lefty and it was kind of a pain to operate it. brass deflecting across my face, the spray of lubricants and cordite getting in my eyes :), bolt catch was also a pain to use.

it was cool to see the reactions at the range though. it is nice when mr south side gangster to your left is ejecting AK brass into your face. gives you a reason to throw some back with your lefty AR !

"yo, fool! That M16 is backwardsz!"

So you had a problem with your lefty AR but wouldn't the brass eject from the left side?

USN CHIEF
07-16-2008, 2:04 PM
Someone is selling an upper lefty here..

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=111133

Ballistic043
07-16-2008, 2:26 PM
i meant across my eye. even with glasses id still get some blowback and a bit of dirt in the ol socket..

its bad when i shoot wolf ammo. the gun spits out dirt so thick its almost like sand :P