PDA

View Full Version : WTS NEWCON Night Vision Scope $600 shipped!!!

criminalpoet
07-15-2008, 7:23 PM
Up for sale is a new NEWCON Night Vision Scope for $600 shipped to your front door! I am located in Albuquerque NM, if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at criminalpoet@msn.com . Thanks for lookin!!

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee184/criminal-poet/001-10.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee184/criminal-poet/002-9.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee184/criminal-poet/003-12.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee184/criminal-poet/004-9.jpg

tyrist
07-15-2008, 8:11 PM
This is illegal in california. It falls under the sniper scope prohibition.

468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.

bigmike82
07-15-2008, 8:27 PM
ouch. Suckage.

Thanks for that info, Tyrist.

thedrickel
07-15-2008, 8:45 PM
Does it project infrared?

tyrist
07-15-2008, 8:47 PM
I don't see how it could be night vision without infrared light unless it projects ultraviolet light. Of course it could be thermal but I doubt it.

jandmtv
07-15-2008, 9:07 PM
Does it project infrared?

notice the switch......off, on, "IR"

bigmike82
07-15-2008, 9:40 PM
Yeah. It looks like it comes with an IR illuminator.

Remove that illuminator and it should be legal, right?

bigmike82
07-15-2008, 9:43 PM
Actually, this model doesn't have a removable illuminator.

Unfortunate.

draconianruler
07-16-2008, 12:06 AM
I don't see how it could be night vision without infrared light unless it projects ultraviolet light. Of course it could be thermal but I doubt it.

A thermal scope would be legal right :confused:

chuck762
07-16-2008, 1:57 AM
You can't just unscrew the IR head from the scope?

criminalpoet
07-16-2008, 4:20 AM
Well thanks for enlightening me on this! It doesnt use the IR all of the time, the night vision works outdoors by itself using star and moonlight but it is an option so I guess that would make it illegal. Again, thanks for bringing me up to part on this matter! NO LONGER FOR SALE!!!

bigmike82
07-16-2008, 6:08 AM
Yeah, because it's built in, you'd be opening a huge can of worms.

lehn20
07-16-2008, 9:44 AM
Has ANYONE ever gotten in trouble over IR in CA?...........

jandmtv
07-16-2008, 10:04 AM

Doubt it, but its still not worth taking a chance.

XDshooter
07-16-2008, 7:28 PM
I think there is a HUGE hole in this law.

So that means it has to have 'IR' and 'magnification'.

Does this have any magnification? Okay it does, checked the spec sheet, magnifies 2.8x.

Still, has to have both. Eh, eh.

468. Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.

tyrist
07-16-2008, 8:01 PM

Yes...that is how I knew of this law.

to the other question I believe a thermal scope would be perfectly legal and the reason is it does'nt give enough clarity to the target during the night. The way the section reads and I copy/pasted it right off the Cal DOJ BOF it would appear it needs to be magnified and project IR light.

TRAP55
07-16-2008, 11:28 PM
The law breaks it down into passive and aggressive light gathering optics. IR is agressive (illegal), Thermal and Starlight are passive (legal). IR has to emit light, Thermal and Starlight don't. It's a loophole, but it works for me.;) Coyotes really hate it though.:D

vet
07-17-2008, 6:52 AM
The law breaks it down into passive and aggressive light gathering optics. IR is agressive (illegal), Thermal and Starlight are passive (legal). IR has to emit light, Thermal and Starlight don't. It's a loophole, but it works for me.;) Coyotes really hate it though.:D

What kind of starlight scopes are available these days? where would one find said scope? and what would one expect to pay?
thanks

smokingloon
07-17-2008, 8:13 AM
This is illegal in california. It falls under the sniper scope prohibition.

What if you said that you were studying the effectiveness of IR scopes on your rifle?

AJAX22
07-17-2008, 8:44 AM
What kind of starlight scopes are available these days? where would one find said scope? and what would one expect to pay?
thanks

I dunno, I got mine for free from a buddy who had it in his closet.

I think I saw one for $500 ish at a swapmeet once though.

motorhead
07-17-2008, 8:57 AM
image intensifier(starlight) scopes are legal. that ridiculous law was passed years ago to outlaw the korean war era i.r. scopes. oldtimers will remember the thrush guns on the man from u.n.c.l.e. . may be applicable to i.r. illuminators.