PDA

View Full Version : LAWS

KateCG87
07-15-2008, 6:06 PM
I'm currently in Alaska and I had bought my husband a Stag AR-15 for his birthday. We're moving to California shortly and i was wondering if it was legal to have in California. I tried looking up laws and stuff but it didn't work out very well since I didn't understand anything from it. So any help would be appreciated. THANK YOU

CSACANNONEER
07-15-2008, 6:10 PM
Welcome to calguns. Yes, the rifle is legal to own here AS LONG AS it is configured properly.

Start by reading this: http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

Then, if you still have questions, ask away.

Blacky
07-15-2008, 6:12 PM
California, no fun allowed... well maybe just a little.

Guntech
07-15-2008, 6:16 PM
California, no fun allowed... well maybe just a little.
NFA=No Fun Allowed

Yeah just slap a mag lock on that sucker

Bowser
07-15-2008, 6:17 PM
Buy one of these (http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=265) and install it in alaska, separate the upper and lower and come to CA, then re-assemble. By separating the upper and lower, it's not considered a firearm.

xcrunner805
07-15-2008, 6:18 PM
As long as it's not full auto, it is indeed a Stag lower receiver which is considered an Off-list-lower receiver by CA standards. Hmm, you'd need a magazine lock system on it so you can maintain the collapsible stock, pistol grip etc...all the "evil features" the liberals believe cause crime in this state. The mag lock can be either a Prince-50 kit or the Bullet Button kit, very inexpensive but keeps you legal here! Before you come into CA you need the mag lock kit installed if you want everything to stay on it (minus the 30 round magazines, only 10 rounds allowed in CA for all civilian firearms, unless you owned them pre-ban etc... N/A for you guys. So get the mag lock kit online from Ten Percent Firearms in Taft, Ca ...install it; sell the 30 round mags in Alaska...oh yea must be legal length which I believe is overall lenght no less than 30" with collapsed stock..can include the flashider for those with 14.5" barrels. I think that's it. I'm sure there's something i missed, most the guys here know what's up and might be able to help more.

pwall
07-15-2008, 6:19 PM
Buy one of thesehttp://riflegear.com/p-58-prince50-bullet-button.aspx Remove the original magazine catch, and install the bullet button. Buy some 10 round magazines. Leave the 30 rounders in Alaska, and your good to go.

M. Sage
07-15-2008, 6:21 PM
By separating the upper and lower, it's not considered a firearm.

Wrong. It's not considered a semiautomatic centerfire firearm. A lower is always considered a firearm.

If they make the rifle CA-compliant in AK, there's no reason or need to disassemble it before bringing it here.

xcrunner805
07-15-2008, 6:24 PM
Wrong. It's not considered a semiautomatic centerfire firearm. A lower is always considered a firearm.

If they make the rifle CA-compliant in AK, there's no reason or need to disassemble it before bringing it here.

That's a big 10-4:D

CSACANNONEER
07-15-2008, 6:25 PM
Buy one of thesehttp://riflegear.com/p-58-prince50-bullet-button.aspx Remove the original magazine catch, and install the bullet button. Buy some 10 round magazines. Leave the 30 rounders in Alaska, and your good to go.

If your husband owned his +10 round mags and posessed them in Ca prior to 1-1-2000, he can bring them back into this state anytime. He can not bring any new +10 round mags in though.

KateCG87
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP :)
I think im going to do a lil reading first before i ask anymore questions. You guys are really helpful!

Bowser
Oh yeah, that's right. I'm mixing up stuff.

xcrunner805
Oh yea and no tracers through it in CA at least.

domokun
07-15-2008, 6:36 PM
Also be sure to check out the CA AW ID Flowchart (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf).

pwall
07-15-2008, 11:13 PM
If your husband owned his +10 round mags and posessed them in Ca prior to 1-1-2000, he can bring them back into this state anytime. He can not bring any new +10 round mags in though.

But if he's going the BB route, he is restricted from using them in his fixed mag build.

CSACANNONEER
07-16-2008, 5:34 AM
But if he's going the BB route, he is restricted from using them in his fixed mag build.

That doesn't mean that he can't bring them back to the state and store them until he finds a use for them.

Slayer
07-16-2008, 8:51 AM

Wouldn't that be importing, which is illegal?

packnrat
07-16-2008, 9:16 AM
That doesn't mean that he can't bring them back to the state and store them until he finds a use for them.

or just dissamble them and keep as spare parts for the +10 round mags he owned in ca before 1998 (was it) and moving to alaska.

i forget the year it was so long ago.....
its great getting old and get the forgetfull problem...at least now i do not have to say i am .....now what was i saying??:confused:

:TFH:

CSACANNONEER
07-16-2008, 2:53 PM
Wouldn't that be importing, which is illegal?

No! As long as the mags were in this state prior to 1-1-2000, they can be brought back here.

Blacky
07-16-2008, 3:24 PM
I was talking to a friend about this thread. He said he had several M16 mags I could have. He's had then since the early 70's. I assume they will work in my AR15 but they are 20 round. He's a bails bondsman and has a random firearm & knife collection.

Can I legally use these magazines in my new AR15? I sure wouldn't mind the extra capacity but I don't want any trouble, how can I verify that these mags are pre-ban and if they are can I use them?

I expect any response to be educated speculation not legal advice.

JagerTroop
07-16-2008, 4:59 PM
I was talking to a friend about this thread. He said he had several M16 mags I could have. He's had then since the early 70's. I assume they will work in my AR15 but they are 20 round. He's a bails bondsman and has a random firearm & knife collection.

Can I legally use these magazines in my new AR15? I sure wouldn't mind the extra capacity but I don't want any trouble, how can I verify that these mags are pre-ban and if they are can I use them?

No. He cannot give you +10 cap mags. YOU must have owned any +10 cap mags(in Ca.) prior to 1-1-2000. There is an abundance of info regarding Mags, rifle configuration, Ca. laws, etc. on this site. Do a search... it's all there :)

Eli

CSACANNONEER
07-16-2008, 5:00 PM

NO! He can not give or even lend you any mags over 10 rounds! He could take them apart and give you rebuild kits but, in no way should you break the law and assemble them into +10 round mags while you are in Ca.

Blacky
07-16-2008, 5:24 PM
I always try a search before I post. At this point in time Ill just keep all 10 rounders. Its too much trouble jumping through all the loop holes. Besides they might drop it down to 5 round mags. Then I would just move... I'm almost at that point now, it wouldn't take much more. :90:

KateCG87
07-19-2008, 2:03 PM
Alright I have another question.
How am I going to bring the rifle down? I was wondering if i could ship it down there or if thats even possible lol or if I can check it in at the airport? Thanks again for all the information. APPRECIATE IT!

CSACANNONEER
07-19-2008, 2:32 PM
Yes, you can bring it on the plane but, you should check with your airline to see if they have any requirements other than the standard TSA ones.

Mssr. Eleganté
07-19-2008, 2:34 PM
Once you get the rifle into California-legal configuration, you can ship it to yourself via UPS or the US Post Office, or you can check it with your luggage on the airplane.

CSACANNONEER
07-19-2008, 2:35 PM
Once you get the rifle into California-legal configuration, you can ship it to yourself via UPS or the US Post Office, or you can check it with your luggage on the airplane.

NO firearms through the USPS unless it's FFL to FFL!

Mssr. Eleganté
07-19-2008, 2:54 PM
NO firearms through the USPS unless it's FFL to FFL!

You are mistaken on that. The FFL (Dealer or Manufacturer) to FFL (Dealer or Manufacuterer) requirement is for handguns only. Long guns can be shipped by unlicensed people in accordance with all laws.

CSACANNONEER
07-19-2008, 3:05 PM
You are mistaken on that. The FFL (Dealer or Manufacturer) to FFL (Dealer or Manufacuterer) requirement is for handguns only. Long guns can be shipped by unlicensed people in accordance with all laws.

Then, I stand corrected! I've only delt with having to ship handguns without an FFL so, I was wrong. Although, after seeing a few flatrate boxes that I've received and pictures of one that I just shipped to another Calgunner, I'd think twice before shipping a firearm through the USPS.

sorensen440
07-25-2008, 5:22 PM
would probably be easyest to fedex or ups it to yourself

aplinker
07-25-2008, 7:36 PM
When you come PLEASE have a 10round magazine installed in the rifle. The purpose of that bullet button you installed (or are installing? looking at your other thread) is to create a rifle that is incapable of accepting detachable magazines. This is much easier to explain to someone when there's a magazine in the magwell. The reason it's not detachable is that the rifle requires a tool (a bullet or otherwise) to remove the magazine.

These are helpful for understanding what you're doing and why:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf