PDA

View Full Version : How badly did I damaged my buffer tube?

Rottentofu
09-02-2015, 3:38 PM
Before I start I just wanna say I felt stupid and I should've done more research before I put more force into what I did. I just started tinkering with my AR so please forgive my ignorance. :(

I was trying to install the Magpul ASAP sling attachment to my Colt 6940. To do so I need to remove the castle nut. What I didn't know was that the castle nut was staked (new term I learned today). I secured the lower on a vise and used the castle nut wrench and twisted with all my might. The wrench came loose a few times and my last attempt almost resulted with me faceplanting into the lower. And now my castle nut and buffer tube look like this

http://i62.tinypic.com/281c84g.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/11qlcsg.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/122ko69.jpg

How badly did I screwed up? :(

LONGRANGER777
09-02-2015, 3:46 PM
Don't feel alone....I did the same thing many moons ago when i tore down my first Bushy.

Click Boom
09-02-2015, 3:46 PM
Well, not too bad in the big scheme of things. The dinged threads may be far back enough to not matter. If you can wrench your castle nut back on it can be reused also, or you can buy a new one for 2$. New 7075 buffer tube 20-30$. End plate Is getting tossed anyway. Hard to see very well on my phone but that's the gist of it.

Click Boom
09-02-2015, 3:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if you can reuse.

P5Ret
09-02-2015, 3:48 PM
I'd replace it. Looks like you stripped some threads off the buffer tube. Just keep in mind what an old carpenter told me years ago when I was starting wood working "experience is what you get when you didn't get the result you hoped for". Take your time, ask questions, and never ever over muscle it if it sticks there is usually a reason it sticks.

VictorFranko
09-02-2015, 3:48 PM
Purely cosmetic from what I see.
If it bothers you, buy a new tube and nut, they're not expensive.

hunterb
09-02-2015, 3:49 PM
http://www.deltateamtactical.com/Mil-Spec-Buffer-Tube-Kit--Heavy-Duty_p_3582.html

whole kit with buffer, tube and spring for $25.

Don't take a chance with the threads on your lower and just buy a new buffer tube at least IMO. Too cheap a part to risk it.

larkja
09-02-2015, 3:50 PM
No biggy. I think just about everyone has done that. As long as your tube is tight, it seems as it's more of a cosmetic thing. As Click Boom stated, you can always replace the castle nut and buffer tube - they're pretty cheap. Or just run it the way it is.

DoubleTap76
09-02-2015, 3:51 PM
Honestly. I don't see much in the way of drastic damage. Clearly the Buffer threads and the castle nut look like poop. But all appear intact. I personally see no problem using this weapon.

Never heard of "staked" either. I assume the castle nut is pinned somehow?

If possible, "unstake" it and replace with a new buffer and new castle nut for a more pristine appearance.

That's the way I see it. I would only be concerned if the lower receiver threads are damaged and I see nothing to indicate that...

The world is an imperfect place. Now, so is your AR...

FeuerFrei
09-02-2015, 3:53 PM
I've seen a hell of a lot worse.
Looks easily recoverable.
Go and sin no more OP, dispensation is in the mail. ;)

Sent using a long string & 2 cans.

SkyHawk
09-02-2015, 3:56 PM
Just back the castle nut all the way to the rear of the buffer tube threads - that will chase the threads back into shape. Cleanup the notches in the castle nut with a small file. A little matte black krylon or a sharpie here and there, and you should be good to go.

And always check for the stake boss :)

LowThudd
09-02-2015, 4:05 PM
http://www.deltateamtactical.com/Mil-Spec-Buffer-Tube-Kit--Heavy-Duty_p_3582.html

whole kit with buffer, tube and spring for $25.

Don't take a chance with the threads on your lower and just buy a new buffer tube at least IMO. Too cheap a part to risk it.

Actually a better deal. A blackhawk stock with buffer kit for the same price.

This could be more an upgrade than an effup. http://www.deltateamtactical.com/Blackhawk--Adjustable-Buttstock--Polymer-Complete-Mil-Spec-Tube-Kit_p_4374.html

Rottentofu
09-02-2015, 4:07 PM
Problem is, I still can't loosen the nut. Colt double staked the nut and it is tight as hell. I'm inclined to leave it alone as long as it does not interfere with performance.

Bainter1212
09-02-2015, 4:15 PM
Problem is, I still can't loosen the nut. Colt double staked the nut and it is tight as hell. I'm inclined to leave it alone as long as it does not interfere with performance.

I have used a chisel to unstake mine before.....then again, my AR is a thrasher and I don't care what it looks like.
You can also use a mallet to tap on the wrench when it is on the castle nut. A lot of the time, a good sharp rap will work when brute force won't.

Steve G
09-02-2015, 4:18 PM
how do you remove a staked castle nut for future reference?

Zartan
09-02-2015, 4:48 PM
I've used a dremel with a thin cut-off wheel to just nick the staking and turning the nut cracked it loose. Clean up sharp burrs with a file, re-install.

russ69
09-02-2015, 5:12 PM
Not sure if I want to recommend this for everybody but if you have a good wrench, twisting off a staked nut is not hard. The steel nut will cut the aluminum tube threads without much trouble.

Rgarbarino
09-02-2015, 5:16 PM
I think I would be more concerned on how you secured the lower. If you had to put that much torque into you possibly could have damaged the lower.

essjay
09-02-2015, 5:30 PM
how do you remove a staked castle nut for future reference?

Just use the wrench and unscrew it. I removed mine (staked with an auto punch) by simply laying my lower down on my workbench, holding it in place with my left hand, and torquing on the wrench with my right. Took minimal effort.

Rottentofu
09-02-2015, 5:37 PM
I think I would be more concerned on how you secured the lower. If you had to put that much torque into you possibly could have damaged the lower.

I used a magwell vise block to secure the lower.

Bainter1212
09-02-2015, 5:46 PM
Like I said before.....put your lower back in the vise, put your wrench on that nut and give the end of the wrench a good rap with a mallet. Might need a few raps. That's how I had to take mine off last night....bugger wasn't even staked but weight wouldn't do the trick, it was on too tight. Needed a sharp shock.
And do I need to say it? Righty tighty, lefty loosy. Something gives me the feeling you were doing it wrong in some very elementary way.

Noonanda
09-02-2015, 7:26 PM
Did you drop it on the Carpet after you did it? If so it is definitely Junk

Mossy Man
09-02-2015, 7:29 PM
its fine

M1NM
09-02-2015, 8:16 PM
Never heard of "staked" either. I assume the castle nut is pinned somehow?...
Not pinned. In staking the threads are intenionaly damaged (hammer & punch) so the nut can't come loose.

SkyHawk
09-02-2015, 8:53 PM
Not pinned. In staking the threads are intenionaly damaged (hammer & punch) so the nut can't come loose.

I have never seen a castle nut staked that had anything to do with the threads. Usually the nut is staked by peening the end plate into the small notch in the nut. OP jacked up his threads with the wrench slipping off. As he has stated, he hasn't even budged the nut yet :eek:

Just use a small punch to tap the peened metal back into the end plate and out of the notch.

http://thearmsguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/staked.jpg

bohoki
09-02-2015, 9:30 PM
if its staked you want to use more than a 1 hook spanner
use one that grabs 3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enhanced-Modle15-Armorer-Stock-Wrench-Spanner-Tool-w-Handle-223-/221804694259

also relax if your gun doesn't have dings you are not using it enough

Rottentofu
09-02-2015, 9:33 PM
I gave it another try. Followed some of your advices by sharply tapping the nut wrench with a mallet and also unstaking the nuts (although not completely). The nut still refuses to move.

davidb
09-02-2015, 9:44 PM
Take a dremel with a cutting wheel to it to cut along the line between end plate and castlenut at the staking, you won't even have to cut through the staking completely just enough to weaken it so you can break it off

SkyHawk
09-02-2015, 9:52 PM
I gave it another try. Followed some of your advices by sharply tapping the nut wrench with a mallet and also unstaking the nuts (although not completely). The nut still refuses to move.

Show us a pic of the stakes if you can

Sicarius
09-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Looks like it has some character now. It is fine.
Kevin

Parker2020
09-03-2015, 3:45 AM
On my Colt it's staked in two places between the end plate/castle nut with what looks like a square tipped punch . It's very slight but if you look close you can see it .

Zartan
09-03-2015, 4:40 AM

Just so we're all on the same page...Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey?

bkz81
09-03-2015, 5:01 AM
Take the cutting wheel just forward of the grip and saw up, that should take care of the issue.

Rottentofu
09-03-2015, 6:13 AM
Show us a pic of the stakes if you can

http://i58.tinypic.com/2znnyax.jpg

SkyHawk
09-03-2015, 8:20 AM
That doesn't look deeply staked now that you have tapped it back in. I would try tapping the stake back into the end plate some more, but at this point it looks like you might need a better castle nut wrench and a cheater bar on the end of it.

Rottentofu
09-03-2015, 8:26 AM
That doesn't look deeply staked now that you have tapped it back in. I would try tapping the stake back into the end plate some more, but at this point it looks like you might need a better castle nut wrench and a cheater bar on the end of it.

I ordered the hammerhead tool

http://hammerheadrifletool.com/

just for this. The multitool wrench is not sturdy enough to take on this job.

CK_32
09-03-2015, 9:02 AM
If think that's bad you should have seen me and my friends on our first builds.

All I can say is, screw drivers and hammers. Wasn't pretty lol

Now we all know better and have the proper tooling. But that's not bad. I've seen BAD.

thegamettt
09-03-2015, 9:08 AM
don't feel bad until you start hacksawing front sight posts off.

Mossy Man
09-03-2015, 9:42 AM
Go with a rifle stock next time

Avoid all this staking and castle nutnonsense

a308garand
09-03-2015, 10:09 AM
1-Pad the jaws of your vise.
2-Insert the receiver extension and clamp into the vise.
3-Turn wrench with enough force to break the staking on the nut.

Since the receiver extension is clamped, there is no force applied to the receiver.

Don't try breaking your receiver just to loosen the castle nut on your receiver extension.

DJMenace
09-03-2015, 10:41 AM
thats exactly what i did when i was removing mine of my LWRC rifle. I didn't even have a vise.. i just used the floor a my foot lol i ended up finally removing it that hardly and ruined the whole thing.. (facepalm)
i didn't need it anyways because i installed a UBR stock lol i did mess up the little spring thats inside (don't know what its called) but i just snipped the damaged portion off and back it went.