PDA

View Full Version : I need help replacing front bead on Mossberg 500

bigdave1121
07-15-2008, 5:17 PM
I want to replace the front bead on my Mossberg 500 28" Modified Choke barrel (part of the 'Big 5 Combo'). It's one of the replacement fiber-optic sights that just screws into the hole where the existing bead is. I got the little white plastic bead off, but I can't get the screw that is was attached to out, so I can screw in the new sight.

Anyone know how I might go about getting this screw out?

Salty
07-15-2008, 9:06 PM
In situations like that I usually take a die grinder / dremel type tool and try to cut a slot in the broken screw. Once the slot is cut, you just get a small flat blade screw driver and back the screw out.

sfwdiy
07-16-2008, 5:19 PM
That could be a bad scene. If the screw won't come out the only option left may be to drill and re-tap. If you need to restore the original diameter and thread pitch of the hole you might need something like this: http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp That is, if the hole isn't too small. Hopefully you can back the screw out of the hole as is. Try to find a small screw extractor, that might work too.

--Benny

wilit
07-16-2008, 6:15 PM
My bead came off my 500A without the stud in tow as well. There's no way to really remove it without using vicegrips. Wrap the jaws in electrical tape and it'll keep them from marring the threads on the stud.