PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Open Carrier catches Law Enforcement on Audio during encounter

Liberty1
07-15-2008, 4:53 PM
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/13159.html

6172crew
07-15-2008, 5:08 PM
The cops dont sound that bad imo...but I guess Im used to hearing the stuff fromm CA. Not that all LE in CA are dumb about OC or gun laws in general but if they knew what they were talking about they wouldnt have questioned them in the first place.

Liberty1
07-15-2008, 5:12 PM
It was for the most part a consentual encounter. They were just giving bad information about having to have ID while walking in public and proving that you're over 21 not a felon. Funny that they suggested that he just put it back in his car when he wouldn't produce ID.

That poster has had several non-consentual encounters in the past. Two of them resulting in unlawful arrests. He's still open carrying and spreading the good word!:)

gn3hz3ku1*
07-15-2008, 5:29 PM
when i lived in va 1.5 years ago i could have sworn open carry was legal except in certain locations... if not then i sure saw lots of guys break the law at wallymart... one guy had 2 glock 19s.. one on each side :)

trashman
07-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Depends on the city/county. (Virginia is a Commonwealth, so the Counties are treated a bit differently than in the rest of the country).

In Southwestern Virginia, where I grew up, OC wouldn't be illegal or noticed, even. But in Alexandria, near DC, where I lived for a couple years, the cops would certainly snag you for "brandishing" if you were to OC.

--Neill

Gray Peterson
07-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Actually no. Virginia has had statewide preemption of gun laws since 2004 (when they finally repealed all grandfathered ordinances by state law). Disorderly Conduct and Brandishing cannot be applied to open carry and there were several court decisions stating so. Virginia, along with Arizona, where literally the "Mother and Father" of the open carry movement.

Also, this particular poster is African-American. That probably has something to do with the LOTS of stops he's been subjected to.

ryno066
07-16-2008, 6:54 AM
I just like the line "I wear a seatbelt but I don’t expect to get into an accident."
As for all the people saying that OCing will turn into the old west, or that cops will freak out. They couldn’t be more wrong. I have had some really pissed off cops around me and the gun was never brought up. I wasn’t doing anything illegal so they didn’t even talk to me about it. This has happened on 4-5 occasions.

PatriotnMore
07-16-2008, 7:57 AM
I give the LEO points for being professional and freindly, as to the specifics of what was required to open carry? I think it would behove those who choose to open carry, to have a copy of the laws on them to share and educate.

Just as a side note, I would remind all to use the proper mindset and tone when sharing with LEO's, it is equally important that you be professional, and friendly when sharing laws concerning OC, the last thing an LEO wants is a lecture on law, from a civillian.

trashman
07-16-2008, 8:06 AM
Actually no. Virginia has had statewide preemption of gun laws since 2004 (when they finally repealed all grandfathered ordinances by state law). Disorderly Conduct and Brandishing cannot be applied to open carry and there were several court decisions stating so. Virginia, along with Arizona, where literally the "Mother and Father" of the open carry movement.

I stand corrected -- haven't lived there since the 90's and totally missed the statewide preemption. Thanks for the clarification.

--Neill

Decoligny
07-16-2008, 8:15 AM

Also, this particular poster is African-American. That probably has something to do with the LOTS of stops he's been subjected to.

And you gotta love his hat......"BLACK MAN WITH A GUN"!

XDshooter
07-16-2008, 8:18 AM
HAHAHAHA

"I can't carry you guys in my pocket"