PDA

View Full Version : Scratched my OLL

ukdkbr
07-15-2008, 1:50 PM
So I built up my Mega Lower 2 weeks ago and it was my first build. I thought I was prepared with all the tape and what not to prevent scratches when pressing in some of the pins. I managed to still get a few dings and scratches :-( They are small but has anyone found a good way to cover up or hide scratches to a reciever?

The second lower I have I will take my time and make sure it doesn't happen again :-)

mike452
07-15-2008, 1:56 PM
Aluminum Black from Turner's should hide those scratches.

GenLee
07-15-2008, 1:58 PM
I use a marks-alot pen on one of mine, not bad.

domokun
07-15-2008, 2:06 PM
Flat Super Black Touch Up Pen from Birchwood Casey:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=379148&t=11082005

Gloss Super Black Touch Up Pen from Birchwood Casey:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=306272&t=11082005

Frijolito1988
07-15-2008, 2:08 PM
Any tips on how to prevent scratching ? I just picked up my OLL so i tink ima cover it all in black electric tape and do it all on a matress. and put electric tape on the tip of all the tools ima use

Bruce3
07-15-2008, 2:12 PM
Any tips on how to prevent scratching ? I just picked up my OLL so i tink ima cover it all in black electric tape and do it all on a matress. and put electric tape on the tip of all the tools ima use

use brass punches, work on a wood boards, use a layer of blue painters tape then duct tape, use the tape and vise grip method to drive the roll pins in, grease the roll pins and holes, and work slowly! if all else fails you can use touch up flat black paint pens rifle gear carries them.

Hopi
07-15-2008, 2:12 PM
They are small but has anyone found a good way to cover up or hide scratches to a reciever?

A good combo of CLP, Sweat, and Dirt works great to 'hide' the scratches on my rifles.

Scratches are superficial, more so they give your tool character.....

draconianruler
07-15-2008, 2:14 PM
The lower is ruined. You better send it to me for proper disposal :D

I've used a black Sharpie before. It works but is off color. It at least hides the shinny aluminum. Try what the others recommended.

One Shot, One Dropped
07-15-2008, 2:17 PM
I don't really see why people worry about scratching up their ARs. As I recall, they were originally designed as battle rifles. I don't think the guys in Iraq avoid chips and scuffs so that other people don't look down on them. Then again, we do spend a lot of money on them, so it's kind of understandable for people to be attached. I, personally, don't worry about it. Mine aren't scratched up, but it wouldn't upset me.

FlyingPen
07-15-2008, 2:32 PM
Use flat black car paint from Autozone or Pepboys in the touch up aisle. It is way more permanent if properly applied than the gun touch up crap that goes away after the first application of cleaner.

I personally don't mind the scratches though, I use the paint to protect the metal, it can be a different shade from the rest of the finish though.

MrLogan
07-15-2008, 2:32 PM
Don't worry about the scratches. They give your rifle character. ;)

Besides, they're gonna get scruffed up with regular use. You should see my issue rifle. :D

ironcross
07-15-2008, 2:36 PM
:useless:

How not to scrach it is to take your time. I didnt have all the right tools and I took my time and not a single scrach/dent/ding etc...

They do get scrached over time of use. Who cares, dont like it, I use a sharpie...

pTa
07-15-2008, 2:43 PM
I never feel comfie driving a new car. Its a wsorry in my head. Butt he minute it gets a ding I start worrying less.

Ist a rifle scratch it up some MORE

Guntech
07-15-2008, 2:53 PM
Best advise I can give is Painters tape and work on a wood surface you don't care about messing up, I didn't scratch anything on my first AR build except on the end of one of the roll pins after using a hammer and punch to put em in( didn't think of the vise grip method at the time)

J_Rock
07-15-2008, 3:09 PM
Suck it up, rifles are meant to be used

Raystonn
07-15-2008, 3:53 PM
"Stop throwing the Constitution in my face. It's just a g*dd*m**d piece of paper!" --George W. Bush

Never happened.
http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/did_president_bush_call_the_constitution_a.html

-Raystonn

Toolbox X
07-15-2008, 3:56 PM
Flat Super Black Touch Up Pen from Birchwood Casey:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=379148&t=11082005

Gloss Super Black Touch Up Pen from Birchwood Casey:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=306272&t=11082005

Flat Black touch-up pen from Birchwood Casey. It does amazing things.

Mikeb
07-15-2008, 6:23 PM
I feel your pain and know the embareassed feelings you have. Please I want to help and will send you a dollar and cover the ffl expenses so that you can remove this embarrassment from your collection.
your buddy
Mike

xcrunner805
07-15-2008, 6:30 PM
You could duracoat it! :cool2: Advice to new builders...a few layers of duct tape work really well. Take your time. If you mess up fix it with a black sharpie, who cares that much anyways.