PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding registration

popjohnson
07-15-2008, 11:11 AM
I was under the assumption that all guns had to be registered. But someone just told me that, that isn't true and pointed me to this

"There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers. However, you may submit a Firearm Ownership Record to the DOJ for any firearm you own. Having a Firearm Ownership Record on file with the DOJ may help in the return of your firearm if it is lost or stolen. With very few and specific exceptions, all firearm transactions must be conducted through a firearms dealer."

Well is this is true why is it that if your get caught with an unregistered gun LEO's charge you with possession of an unregistered gun? Im not sure but I believe that it's a felony

Librarian
07-15-2008, 12:12 PM
I was under the assumption that all guns had to be registered. But someone just told me that, that isn't true and pointed me to this

"There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers. However, you may submit a Firearm Ownership Record to the DOJ for any firearm you own. Having a Firearm Ownership Record on file with the DOJ may help in the return of your firearm if it is lost or stolen. With very few and specific exceptions, all firearm transactions must be conducted through a firearms dealer."

Well is this is true why is it that if your get caught with an unregistered gun LEO's charge you with possession of an unregistered gun? Im not sure but I believe that it's a felony

No reasonable way to search for this one.

NO, your guns do not need to be registered.

Transfers through FFL holders started to be required in 1991. Any gun sold before that could go face to face, and no record would exist so far as California is concerned. Long guns more than 50 years old can still go FTF, and parents and grandparents can still swap long guns to their children and grandchildren with no paper.

People moving here from out of state can bring in any non-'assault weapon' long guns with no paper to CA, but as of 1998, handguns must be voluntarily registered by 'personal handgun importers'. Prior to 1998, if you moved here with handguns, you didn't have to tell CA.

The unregistered bit triggers an offense change IF you are carrying concealed without CCW AND the gun is not registered to you - PC 12025 (b) Carrying a concealed firearm in violation of this section is
punishable, as follows: ...

(6) By imprisonment in the state prison, or by imprisonment in a
county jail not to exceed one year, by a fine not to exceed one
thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment if
both of the following conditions are met:

(A) Both the pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being
concealed upon the person and the unexpended ammunition capable of
being discharged from that firearm are either in the immediate
possession of the person or readily accessible to that person, or the
pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon
the person is loaded as defined in subdivision (g) of Section 12031.

(B) The person is not listed with the Department of Justice
pursuant to paragraph (1) of subdivision (c) of Section 11106, as the
registered owner of that pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable
of being concealed upon the person.

Decoligny
07-15-2008, 2:34 PM
No reasonable way to search for this one.

NO, your guns do not need to be registered.

Transfers through FFL holders started to be required in 1991. Any gun sold before that could go face to face, and no record would exist so far as California is concerned. Long guns more than 50 years old can still go FTF, and parents and grandparents can still swap long guns to their children and grandchildren with no paper.

People moving here from out of state can bring in any non-'assault weapon' long guns with no paper to CA, but as of 1998, handguns must be voluntarily registered by 'personal handgun importers'. Prior to 1998, if you moved here with handguns, you didn't have to tell CA.

The unregistered bit triggers an offense change IF you are carrying concealed without CCW AND the gun is not registered to you - PC 12025

They must be ex-military. I remember many time being told "It is MANDATORY that you VOLUNTEER for this detail!"

You either "must" register, or you can "voluntarily" register, it's one or the other, it can't be both.

Librarian
07-15-2008, 4:46 PM
They must be ex-military. I remember many time being told "It is MANDATORY that you VOLUNTEER for this detail!"

You either "must" register, or you can "voluntarily" register, it's one or the other, it can't be both.
Since they don't check all vehicles at the state border, it is not something enforceable; new residents are expected to learn about the law, get the form(s) on their own, and send in the $19 for each handgun.

It's the law that one must.

It's voluntary whether you actually will.