PDA

View Full Version : Getting Colt AR's in CA

whomper
07-14-2008, 8:52 PM
So I was thinking, Colt AR15 are listed. So No Go there.
However, the factory SBR models are not. Granted, you cannot get a NON C&R semi SBR.
HOWEVER, I have read reports of people de-SBRing the receiver, ie having it removed from the NFA registry. You would have to find an NFA dealer willing to do it, and another one here in CA willing to do the transfer.
Any thoughts?
The Colt 6921 has a 14.5 in barrel. And the model number does not say AR15...
Just saying, if you want a Colt bad enough.
http://www.onlythebestfirearms.com/images/6933-2.JPG

bwiese
07-14-2008, 8:54 PM
Jeez, lotta grief for a less-than-worthwhile result

whomper
07-14-2008, 8:55 PM
I agree whole heartedly. A poster in another thread was complaining about not being able to get a Colt.

PIRATE14
07-14-2008, 9:39 PM
Just hangout out at ARFCOMM......the 6921 lowers go for sale every now and than......roughly 1200-1600 for a complete lower.........

To some it's worth it others not so much......your $$$$$ buy what ya want.......:chris::43:

So I was thinking, Colt AR15 are listed. So No Go there.
However, the factory SBR models are not. Granted, you cannot get a NON C&R semi SBR.
HOWEVER, I have read reports of people de-SBRing the receiver, ie having it removed from the NFA registry. You would have to find an NFA dealer willing to do it, and another one here in CA willing to do the transfer.
Any thoughts?
The Colt 6921 has a 14.5 in barrel. And the model number does not say AR15...
Just saying, if you want a Colt bad enough.
http://www.onlythebestfirearms.com/images/6933-2.JPG

lehn20
07-14-2008, 10:59 PM
forget about the lower. It is all about the uppers. 6920:)

CHS
07-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Just hangout out at ARFCOMM......the 6921 lowers go for sale every now and than......roughly 1200-1600 for a complete lower.........

SHEEEESH!!!! 1200 Should buy you a whole damn gun!

I'm all for having a good name, but wow.... Just wow. Some people are just a little crazy for a name if they're actually paying that much.

whomper
07-15-2008, 12:47 AM

To some it's worth it others not so much......your $$$$$ buy what ya want.......:chris::43:

That's dumb. I've seen them on Sturm for 1300-1500 complete rifle.
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=108549

I was just seeing if this was a possible route for the do or die Colt fans.

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-15-2008, 7:06 AM
Jeez, lotta grief for a less-than-worthwhile result

Bill and I have been down this road before. I don't think Bill's a Colt fan. :p

Technically the 6921 receivers are off list amongst others, but for the price and the pain trying to get one, you can almost buy a complete rifle. That's not including the price of the Colt upper receiver, and bolt carrier. (I know I've researched this.)

In another thread, Bill brought up this point and I'm glad I listened to the advice. I now have three Rock River rifles and all function flawless.

We all want what we can't have, and I think that's the driving force behind people wanting Colt brand products in California. If you visit other firearm boards like arf.com you'll notice that the majority of people on those boards build the hybrid brand rifles like us here. Saves a ton of money.

IMHO (now that I've seen the light, lol) if you REALLY want a Colt lower, wait for the Coalition to use Heller to tear down the assult weapon law in California and order a complete 6920 for $1200. ;)

domokun
07-15-2008, 9:58 AM
There are two Colt ARs that aren't listed on the banned lists and I believe they are the following:

COLT CAR-A3 H-BAR ELITE
COLT CARBINE

Good luck on getting one. Be prepared to spend lots of money to get your hands on such a lower/rifle.

joe_sun
07-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Even the most hard core of the Milspec AR Guys will tell you that the lower receiver is one of the most non critical items in an AR.

As others have said the upper, specificaly the BCG and barrel are the most critical items.

bwiese
07-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Bill and I have been down this road before. I don't think Bill's a Colt fan. :p

Actually I do recognize Colt for their overall quality in uppers.

But I just think most all AR receivers (other than Vulcan/Hesse and specialty items like the Carbon15 lower) will serve everyone fine and there's no need to pay extra for a given brand.

This ain't Dec 2005 anymore where folks were looking for certain lowers that had "Alison approval letters".

The Colt 6921HB 14.5" HB M4 upper is phenomenally accurate for a shorty combat rifle. Barrels are generally a 'cut above'. Colt bolt/carrier assemblies are top-notch reference standard.

I was disappointed that their 'commercial' or sporting rifles in late 1990s were issued often without chrome-lined barrels (sometimes w/chromed chambers) and their A2 stocks had bent plastic material not too far removed from colored milk-jug plastic for trap doors. Most everyone buying a Colt Sporter/HBar in late 1990s was throwing out the Colt buttpad/trapdoor assembly and dropping a metal one from Bushmaster (or surplus) on. Some Colt commercial rifles during that period also seem to have had plastic triggerguards.

CHS
07-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Even the most hard core of the Milspec AR Guys will tell you that the lower receiver is one of the most non critical items in an AR.

As others have said the upper, specificaly the BCG and barrel are the most critical items.

Absolutely. Just look at a lot of the home gunsmith guys on the Roderus forums, and what they are building lowers out of.

Buy a lower for its pretty finish, not the name stamped on it.

383green
07-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Some Colt commercial rifles during that period also seem to have had plastic triggerguards.

If I recall correctly, my Bushmaster that I bought back before the ban had a plastic trigger guard. I replaced it with a metal surplus one.

Centurion_D
07-15-2008, 1:06 PM
There are two Colt ARs that aren't listed on the banned lists and I believe they are the following:

COLT CAR-A3 H-BAR ELITE
COLT CARBINE

Good luck on getting one. Be prepared to spend lots of money to get your hands on such a lower/rifle.

Ain't that the truth. I was looking at a Colt A4 upper and delivered it would have run $1200 and change. Plus the fact finding someone willing to ship one to the PRK would be a PITA.

AJAX22
07-15-2008, 1:41 PM
If anyone does decide to purchase the SBR to have it removed from the list and imported, I'd be interested in buying the upper from them to use on one of my AR pistols.

I know this whole thing doesn't seem all that practical, and you could get something similar for much less money/time/hassle.

But its good to keep pushing the envelope (staying legal of course)

6172crew
07-15-2008, 3:27 PM
My 6920 isnt listed.

Ding126
07-16-2008, 12:07 PM
My 6920 isnt listed.

Sorry, but it is listed

AR-15 Series Weapons
American Spirit
ASA Model
Armalite
AR 10 (all)
Golden Eagle
M15 (all)
Bushmaster
XM15 (all)
Colt
* AR-15 (all)
Law Enforcement (6920)
Match Target (all)
Sporter (all)
Dalphon
B.F.D.
DPMS
Panther (all)
* Required to be registered on
or before March 31, 1992
Eagle Arms
EA-15 A2 H-BAR
EA-15 E1
M15 (all)
Frankford Arsenal
AR-15 (all)
Hesse Arms
HAR 15A2 (all)
Knights
RAS (all)
SR-15 (all)
SR-25 (all)
Les Baer
Ultimate AR (all)
Olympic Arms
AR-15
Car-97
PCR (all)
Ordnance, Inc.
AR-15
Palmetto
SGA (all)
Professional Ordnance, Inc.
Carbon 15 Pistol
Carbon 15 Rifle
PWA
All Models
Rock River Arms, Inc.
Car A2
Car A4 Flattop
LE Tactical Carbine
NM A2 - DCM Legal
Standard A-2
Standard A-4 Flattop
Wilson Combat
AR-15

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Sorry, but it is listed

I think that was a joke. I seriously hope a moderator here knows the difference. ;)

Perhaps what he means is lower receiver on the Colt 6920 is not marked with a "6920" so it may lie in a grey area of legality.

Ding126
07-16-2008, 1:35 PM
Doh!! I just saw where he is located

AYEAREFIFTEEN
07-16-2008, 2:34 PM
Doh!! I just saw where he is located

LOL! Thanks for pointing that out.

6172crew
07-16-2008, 2:43 PM
I think that was a joke. I seriously hope a moderator here knows the difference. ;)

Perhaps what he means is lower receiver on the Colt 6920 is not marked with a "6920" so it may lie in a grey area of legality.

Yes your right, it is marked like the 6921, LE carbine or something like that.

6172crew
07-18-2008, 8:00 AM
OK I looked @ my 6920 last night and it isnt marked by model and looks like the one posted above.

"Colt LE carbine"

Regulus
08-31-2008, 3:18 PM
Sorry, but it is listed

Colt
* AR-15 (all)
Law Enforcement (6920)
Match Target (all)
Sporter (all)

New guy trying to see if 'Colt *AR-15 (all)' includes the "COLT CAR-A3 H-BAR ELITE" (6724)? domokun stated that this is one of two Colt's not on the list. This may be old news, but my local gun shops are telling me any lower that says Colt is a NoNo and needs to go away (Purchased '97 by CFD with DROS, and added mag lock). Any clarification would be appreciated.

superhondaz50
08-31-2008, 4:22 PM
The above stated CAR-A3 HBAR elite is not listed it is off-list so B.B. or no features is A-ok

Regulus
08-31-2008, 4:33 PM
Thanks superhondaz50. So, my final question on this topic is: if it is not on the list, registration of this particular rifle as an AW is/was not required, and I am good to possess, take out and fire without registration papers?

Thanks again.

superhondaz50
08-31-2008, 4:39 PM
yes, as long as it meets the features requirements or has a fixed mag

fmlyman
08-31-2008, 5:22 PM
I waited 12 months for a 6921 lower to be removed from NFA registry. Finaly got tired of waiting and received a refund from vendor. I own a 6724 (Hbar Elite) @ a 6521 green label pre-ban ( Gov't Carbine). Wanted to complete collection with 6921 but wasn't meant to be. If someone has a complete 6921 lower for sale let me know....Thanks