PDA

View Full Version : Introduction + My Work in Progress

LewDog
07-14-2008, 5:30 PM
Well, this is one of my first posts but I have been lurking around for some time now getting advice, which this site has plenty of. Thanks to everyone who share their experiences and knowledge since it helps a lot of people even though they may not actually post here.

I'm sure I'll be posting a lot more so just to get the intro out of the way, my name is Nick and live in Tustin, CA. Been around guns my entire life but this is my first time being stricken with the notorious BRD (already been pricing out my next build :eek:) If there's anyone local that ever wants to meet up and go shooting sometime just let me know.

Here's my work in progress. Turning out perfect so far!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/LewDog13/STA70960.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/LewDog13/STA70964.jpg

^Had to take that one to help visualize :)

-Stag Lower
-CMMG LPK
-Bullet-Button
-Ergo Pistol Grip
-Ergo Vertical Foregrip
-Magpul CTR Mil-Spec Stock
-Magpul 10/30 PMAG
-Magpul Trigger Guard (Going on tomorrow)

In about 2 weeks I should be able to get the Stag 2HT Upper Assembly then it's time to hit the range!

Hope to see some of you around!

-Nick

jester
07-14-2008, 6:09 PM
Welcome Nick!
Nice rifle!

gcvt
07-14-2008, 6:11 PM
Welcome aboard Nick http://calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon14.gif

USN CHIEF
07-14-2008, 6:18 PM
It looks like you are in the right track Nick, Congrats and welcome to Cal Guns.
Mario

Saigon1965
07-14-2008, 6:19 PM
LewDoggy, I can see the completed work already. Keep it up.

LewDog
07-14-2008, 6:27 PM
:) thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Saigon1965
07-14-2008, 6:32 PM
Save money for ammo - hope you reload.

LewDog
07-14-2008, 6:35 PM
I've been thinking about getting into reloading but not quite sure where to start. I guess that might end up being my next endeavor, however, for now I'm probably going to just buy about 1000 rounds of 5.56 and save the brass. any advice on where to begin as far as reloading would be appreciated. also, how much should I expect to spend on the initial purchase of the equipment?

Saigon1965
07-14-2008, 6:40 PM
I don't know a damm thing about reloading - Head over to that forum and start poking your nose around. I do have a boat load of brass, lol.

07-14-2008, 6:48 PM
Welcome to the forum Nick. Glad to hear to that you are feeling the afflictions of BRD.

scfast
07-14-2008, 7:45 PM
I've been thinking about getting into reloading but not quite sure where to start. I guess that might end up being my next endeavor, however, for now I'm probably going to just buy about 1000 rounds of 5.56 and save the brass. any advice on where to begin as far as reloading would be appreciated. also, how much should I expect to spend on the initial purchase of the equipment?Nice setup your well on your way ...on reloading you could start with lee type stuff and get everything for about $250-$300 or go dillon with everything need for about $600 i like lee though for the beginning loader great and priced right all depends on the volume you want to reload check out handloaders bench forum or the reloading section here...have fun

DodgeThis
07-14-2008, 8:03 PM
Welcome to the club!

BroncoBob
07-14-2008, 8:30 PM
Nick: Welcome and by the way your build is taking nice shape. Looks like she'll be a stunner when you're done.

Frijolito1988
07-14-2008, 8:34 PM
Welcome nick , that is pretty much gonna be identical to my build ! lol

and something tells me your a sublime fan?! :)

LewDog
07-14-2008, 9:07 PM
Welcome nick , that is pretty much gonna be identical to my build ! lol

and something tells me your a sublime fan?! :)

You've got good taste then :cool:

in regards to the name... I actually took on that nickname in my years playing baseball in highschool. stemmed from my last name which has just kinda stuck. I've listened to my share of Sublime though. Not a "huge" fan but I do still like a few songs.

workinwifdakids
07-14-2008, 9:24 PM
Nick, that is an absolutely fabulous build, in every respect! I put the Ergo Suregrip (pistol grip) on my build list for my first AR, but this is the first time I've actually seen it mated to a lower. BOY does it look good! So far, I only have the lower, but the LPK will be here on the 1st of September or so. My money says I have to move slowly.

So, regarding the upper: what do you plan on using to attach your vertical grip?

MrNiceGuy
07-14-2008, 9:25 PM
You sure didn't skimp on your rig.
All top shelf stuff.
I like it!

Welcome to CalGuns.

LewDog
07-14-2008, 9:59 PM
Nick, that is an absolutely fabulous build, in every respect! I put the Ergo Suregrip (pistol grip) on my build list for my first AR, but this is the first time I've actually seen it mated to a lower. BOY does it look good! So far, I only have the lower, but the LPK will be here on the 1st of September or so. My money says I have to move slowly.

So, regarding the upper: what do you plan on using to attach your vertical grip?

The grip is awesome! very comfortable and very glad I went with it.

In regards to mounting the vertical foregrip... that will be going on the Stag 2HT, which my girlfriend just told me tonight she would lend the money for me to buy it so I can have the build finished by next weekend. we're planning to do a little shooting camp-out somewhere in the desert. She's awesome and definitely a keeper! :D

Frijolito1988
07-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Awsome lol !

My gf just let me borrow some cash for an rpk on Thursday , that same day i let my cousin borrow $500 bucks!! so i had to borrow some cash and she more than willing let me borrow some, and im paying her tomorow

Frijolito1988
07-14-2008, 10:07 PM
EDIT'

What part in the desert are you going too? how far?

LewDog
07-15-2008, 7:33 AM
Not too sure at this point. Thinking about possibly going up to Willow Springs area or a little further out near Dove Springs. Know of any good spots? I haven't done any desert shooting in a good 10 years.

Edit: Care to join? :) Thinking about heading out Saturday the 26th. Probably leave early Saturday morning and head back Sunday evening. Possibly even leave Friday night.

LewDog
07-15-2008, 1:42 PM
:jump:

I BOUGHT MY UPPER!!! :D

Finally get to finish up my build tonight. Still going to get a couple little things for it but with the push of 2 little pins my gun will be ready to go! More pics to come tonight!

:jump:

Saigon1965
07-15-2008, 1:47 PM
:popcorn: for pics

LewDog
07-15-2008, 7:32 PM
Here she is! Sorry for the crappy pics. Lighting this time of night is terrible (shows a lot of the fingerprints I haven't gotten around to wiping off). My girlfriend is anxious to shoot it so we might end up going to one of the local ranges to pop off a few rounds before we head out to the desert next weekend. Next purchase will be an Aimpoint ML3 but for now its gonna be iron sights for us. Hope you guys like it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/LewDog13/1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/LewDog13/2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/LewDog13/3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/LewDog13/4.jpg

Saigon1965
07-15-2008, 8:08 PM
That was a fast two weeks. lol. Looks great, what kind of rail is it? Not a bad idea to pop off a few before heading out - That way you can dial things in. Have fun.

Frijolito1988
07-15-2008, 8:09 PM
Awsome!!!

Do you mind if i ask how much that set you back ? I picked up my lower today from ammo bros!! but they did not have any lpk's in stock :(

Saigon1965
07-15-2008, 8:11 PM
but they did not have any lpk's in stock :(

I've heard of this problem lately.

Frijolito1988
07-15-2008, 10:19 PM
I've heard of this problem lately.

In general of other gunshops or just ammo bros ?

Saigon1965
07-15-2008, 10:21 PM
In general of other gunshops or just ammo bros ?

In general. A LPK was listed here in the FS and was sold in something like 12 minutes.

Frijolito1988
07-15-2008, 10:40 PM
In general. A LPK was listed here in the FS and was sold in something like 12 minutes.

damn i need to order one online ...but i gotta wait a few weeks..other priorities :eek::(..plus im gonn have to shell out $80 bucks to dros my RPK when ever henderson defense decides to ship it :rolleyes:

Sry for the highjack!

Take that thing out to the range asap!

LewDog
07-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Awsome!!!

Do you mind if i ask how much that set you back ? I picked up my lower today from ammo bros!! but they did not have any lpk's in stock :(

I don't mind. I added everything up and it came out to be about $1370. That's including the mag, the DPMS Multi-Tool, and everything else (minus ammo). It came out to about double what I initially wanted to spend but I'm glad I got what I did. It's great though, the girlfriend is about as excited about it as I am :D

Sorry about the wait on the LPK. You should check out J&J Armory. They seemed to have a decent supply when I was in their shop the other day.

Oh, and thanks for making me feel welcome everyone. Makes this whole experience even more worth it! Can't wait to meet some of you face to face.

jeffyboy
07-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Nice build Nick...now it's time to start on your second :D

LewDog
07-15-2008, 10:54 PM
That was a fast two weeks. lol. Looks great, what kind of rail is it? Not a bad idea to pop off a few before heading out - That way you can dial things in. Have fun.

lol yeah, it was a fast 2 weeks! BRD hit pretty hard this week and I couldn't let her sit incomplete for much longer! The upper is the Stag 2HT 1/9 with the factory installed RIS. Very solid and good looking assembly.

LewDog
07-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Nice build Nick...now it's time to start on your second :D

:eek: Don't tempt me more than I already am!!! haha. Seriously though, I'm going to take care of some other priorities and we'll see what happens. My girlfriend tonight was all excited so I jokingly asked her when we're starting on hers. She said she wants to try mine out first and then we'll see (that means soon!) :D

I think next time I go in I'm going to DROS 2 more (1 for her and 1 for my long range rifle) :43:

Eric_Oh
07-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Nick, did you used to roll in a civic or del sol way back?

LewDog
07-16-2008, 7:25 AM
Nick, did you used to roll in a civic or del sol way back?

I'm not quite sure how to interpret that. If it was an attempt at an insult I'm sorry if you prefer the KISS builds but to each their own. I personally love how it turned out so that's all that matters.

In a literal interpretation of your question, no, I have never/will never own a Honda. No offense to those who do but I'm a German car guy. Always have been, always will be.

:rolleyes:

Eric_Oh
07-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm not quite sure how to interpret that. If it was an attempt at an insult I'm sorry if you prefer the KISS builds but to each their own. I personally love how it turned out so that's all that matters.

In a literal interpretation of your question, no, I have never/will never own a Honda. No offense to those who do but I'm a German car guy. Always have been, always will be.

:rolleyes:

ah... ic ... i asked because i had some friends in college that were real close with a guy name nick in your area. Thought you were him.

Eric_Oh
07-16-2008, 10:51 AM
As for your rifle, i actually think it came out nice. HOw do you like the Ergo VFG? Does it stay mounted pretty solidly?

LewDog
07-16-2008, 11:08 AM
ah... ic ... i asked because i had some friends in college that were real close with a guy name nick in your area. Thought you were him.

Ah, gotcha :) Sorry, I'm used to forums where people try to throw out insults like that if they think something is "ricey". Didn't mean to take it out of context.

Thank you for the compliment though. As far as the VFG goes... I was actually quite frustrated with it at first but after about half-a-dozen times of punching the pin out of the lever to tighten the clamping strength I finally got it to fit snug. I was initially skeptical of this style of release and if I were to do it over again I would have just saved the extra money and gotten the thumb-screw type. Oh well, I made it work so I'm content.