PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Lowers

BlackRifle313
07-14-2008, 4:45 PM
I was wondering has anyone here used a Wilson Combat lower on their CA legal rifle? I know that the one Wilson sells directly is on list but apparently J and J Armory is the CA dealer for Wilson and sells Wilson lowers that are perfectly legal. could someone explain how this all works? thanks!

IH8CALAWS
07-14-2008, 4:53 PM
Different model, so it is off list.

BONECUTTER
07-14-2008, 5:00 PM
Different model, so it is off list.

Yup doesn't say Wilson Combat (all)

Currently wilsons are Tactical Customs:
UT-15
SS-15
M4t

aplinker
07-14-2008, 5:40 PM
You really need the newbie primer.

Start here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

And here:
http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=ar15

You're asking a specific question, which has been answered, but your overall unfamiliarity with the "off list" AR stuff will be helped with those threads.

BlackRifle313
07-14-2008, 9:26 PM
Yup doesn't say Wilson Combat (all)

Currently wilsons are Tactical Customs:
UT-15
SS-15
M4t

Ok great thanks. I was looking at the lists and saw that the one listed was Wilson Combat AR-15, then i looked at the off list lowers and saw Wilson Tactical was legal so this just confused me a little, the only Wilson tactical I knew of was their knife division. Thanks for response really cleared that up for me. So now that the Wilson Combat AR-15 is on list they use the name Tactical Custom followed by the model #?

CHS
07-14-2008, 9:39 PM
Just keep in mind that a Wilson lower is about twice as expensive as any other high quality brand.

If you REALLY want a Wilson for some reason go for it. J&J has them and they are great guys, easy to deal with.

Personally, I don't find a point in buying a Wilson lower. Pretty much all lowers are to the same quality and 100-120$. Wilson's not doing anything spectacular that anyone else isn't.

BlackRifle313
07-14-2008, 9:44 PM
Just keep in mind that a Wilson lower is about twice as expensive as any other high quality brand.

If you REALLY want a Wilson for some reason go for it. J&J has them and they are great guys, easy to deal with.

Personally, I don't find a point in buying a Wilson lower. Pretty much all lowers are to the same quality and 100-120$. Wilson's not doing anything spectacular that anyone else isn't.

What would you recommend? Stag looks pretty popular and well priced

thmpr
07-14-2008, 9:50 PM
Wilson Tactical lowers are no longer made. It is a rare lower.

BlackRifle313
07-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Wilson Tactical lowers are no longer made. It is a rare lower.

You mean Wilson stopped production of those lowers entirely? What do they use on their complete rifles then?

thmpr
07-14-2008, 10:24 PM
They never made complete rifles. I am planning to install a Wilson combat upper.

BlackRifle313
07-14-2008, 10:28 PM
They never made complete rifles. I am planning to install a Wilson combat upper.

You mean Wilson Tactical never made complete rifles right, not Wilson Combat? So you're saying that just the Wilson Tactical lowers that are legal in CA are no longer being made?

thmpr
07-14-2008, 10:29 PM
From what I gathered. Need to call Wilson Tactical yourself to verify this claim. He no longer offer it on his website.

BlackRifle313
07-14-2008, 10:39 PM
From what I gathered. Need to call Wilson Tactical yourself to verify this claim. He no longer offer it on his website.

I'm still a little confused on exactly who Wilson Tactical is. is it a subdivision of Wilson Combat, or are they using the name of their knife company or what? thanks

kb1
07-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Wilson Tactical is run by the son of the guy who owns Wilson Combat. They're not on the website, but apparently availible.

CHS
07-14-2008, 11:41 PM
What would you recommend? Stag looks pretty popular and well priced

Nothing wrong with Stag. Plenty of people have built great guns on Stag lowers. I have Doublestar, CMMG, and Spikes. I'll probably buy Spikes again as my next lower only because I REALLY like their deep black anodizing. The Spikes have just a BEAUTIFUL finish. But given the opportunity, I would buy any of these lowers.

Since you mentioned J&J already, just go down there and check out what they have in stock. Like I said earlier, they really are good friendly guys. Their shop is absolutely worth it to check out, especially if you want to look at and handle the different lowers. Mostly, they all have slightly different finishes, but you'll see that they are otherwise the same.

bigthaiboy
07-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Wilson Tactical is a seperate company, but owned by the same family. Wilson Tactical was started by the son, Ryan, and Wilson Combat is owned by his father Bill.

The Wilson Tactical lowers are off-list, but I haven't seen one for sale anywhere for over a year.

randy
07-15-2008, 12:00 AM
If you want a high end top shelf lower contact www.jprifles.com.

West coast
07-15-2008, 12:31 AM
I own a wislon lower from J&J and they are GREAT lower...And J&J is a great shop for lowers and anything you need for OLL rifles...Freindly peolpe to deal with...

BONECUTTER
07-15-2008, 7:55 AM
OK...to clear some things up here.

I work at J&J (Im Nick for those who might of met me)
Wilson Combat still makes lowers and complete rifles. (they are stamped Wilson Combat on one side and Tactical Custom on the other)
Other markings have been TR, WRC, ect It has changed from time to time.

Wilson Lowers do come in stadard anodizing or Armor Tuff in muliple colors.
People like Wilson Combat so we stock it.

As for Wilson Tactical....I have not seen that stuff in a long time.

BlackRifle313
07-15-2008, 9:59 AM
OK thanks for posts and good info. I was confused for a little while because my gun shop was telling me Wilson lowers were illegal(i think whey were thinking f Wilson lowers marked AR-15) while J&J were saying they were legal. So if I understand correctly the lowers that are marked Wilson Combat can still be legal in CA because a lower needs to be specified by make and model. So if no AR-15 stamp=legal. Anyway I ordered the lower this morning. Thanks J&J, very helpful guys!

Casual Observer
07-15-2008, 10:48 AM
OK thanks for posts and good info. I was confused for a little while because my gun shop was telling me Wilson lowers were illegal(i think whey were thinking f Wilson lowers marked AR-15) while J&J were saying they were legal. So if I understand correctly the lowers that are marked Wilson Combat can still be legal in CA because a lower needs to be specified by make and model. So if no AR-15 stamp=legal. Anyway I ordered the lower this morning. Thanks J&J, very helpful guys!

You are correct sir.

Glad we could be of service :cool:

TOMBSTONE
01-18-2009, 9:57 PM
Wilson Combat made the UT-15 tactical in 3-variants , because I have their catalogs. Rock River arms lowers and uppers are very high quality and fit real tight , unlike my Colt AR's . Wilson builds real nice custom AR's and 1911's , but a huge amount of the AR lowers are manufactured near Salt Lake City, Utah and finish machined elsewhere.

Dancer
04-16-2011, 5:42 PM
Blackrifle313,
did you ever get that Wilson Combat lower?
I want to buy a friends Wilson Combat UT15 that is stamped "WRC1650" on the lower, but I haven't found confirmation that it is CA legal.
Lance