PDA

View Full Version : weaver to pictany adapter

norcal-ar
07-14-2008, 4:04 PM
so i picked my g22 and had a rim fire .22 cheap red dot laying around and i want to mount it to the g22. problem is the rail mounts on the red dot are built in and are pictany style (short width) and the g22 has the weaver style (wide width) does anyone out there make some sort of inexpensive piece to go from the weaver to the pictany basically down size it. thanx in advance for everyones help.

rksimple
07-14-2008, 4:17 PM
Can you trim down the crossbolt on the red dot? How is it set up?

norcal-ar
07-14-2008, 7:06 PM
the red dot mount is smaller and i really dont want to trim the mount on the rifle cause its part of the stock. there is a fellow member that has this same exact red dot mounted on his g22 and im waiting for him to get back to me.

eviioiive
07-14-2008, 8:11 PM
dovetail or picatinny?

bigthaiboy
07-14-2008, 11:57 PM
An inexpensive AR picatinny riser like this one should solve your problem: http://www.centerfiresystems.com/MNTTR-R.aspx

norcal-ar
07-15-2008, 6:47 AM
i need something to go from the bottom of this to the top of this to give u an idea of the width difference.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FASRResults?catalog=NSBA&seltype=sb&model=Model&family=10%2f22+Autoloading+Rifles&store=y

and the only way i could attach it would be to use those through bolts for attaching to a rail system.

norcal-ar
07-15-2008, 6:48 AM
im a newb so i dont know the difference. whats the diff?

dovetail or picatinny?

maxicon
07-15-2008, 7:02 AM
I'm not visualizing the problem - is the red dot mount too narrow to fit on the G22?

In the Ruger mount adapter you linked to, there are 2 widths on the rail - the entire rail is Weaver width, while the stepped top rail appears to be a .22 tip-off or dovetail rail. The naming conventions aren't always clear (some vendors even call the Picatinny rail dovetail).

The G22 is pretty close to Picatinny spec, I believe - I haven't measured it, but I've mounted several AR optics with Picatinny mounts on mine with no problems. Weaver is generally compatible with Picatinny except for the slot width (front to back, not side to side width). That is, a Picatinny mount will fit on a Weaver rail, unless the recoil lug or cross-slot screw is too wide front to back to fit into the slot.

If the red dot mount is too narrow for the G22 rail, what you've probably got is a .22 dovetail or tip-off mount, as eviioiive suggested.

I'm not aware of any adapters that would let you mount a .22 dovetail sight on a Weaver/Picatinny rail, but there's got to be something like that out there...

If you've got pics, that would help.

bohoki
07-15-2008, 10:17 AM
i bought a simmons that was designed pretty spiffy

if you flip the clamp it changed 3/4 dovetail and weaver

but the weaverness fits picatinny

so i dont know what kind of tolerance you are seeing ive always used weaver stuff on picatinny 1919 bases

norcal-ar
07-15-2008, 1:05 PM
I'm not visualizing the problem - is the red dot mount too narrow to fit on the G22?

that is exactly it!! i'll try and post pics. but yeah its too narrow for the g22!

bigthaiboy
07-15-2008, 3:07 PM
im a newb so i dont know the difference. whats the diff?

A dovetiail is a 3/8" scope mount usually on found on .22s and air rifles. The G22 comes standard with a 5/8" (20mm) Weaver rail, so 3/8" dovetails are not applicable in this case.

It sounds like your red dot sight is designed to fit onto a M1913 Picatinny rail. In this case, you will need to adapt your weaver rail to a Picatinny rail.

The only difference between the Picatinny rail and the Weaver rail is the size of its slots, although many rail-grabber-mounted accessories can be used on either type of rail. Weaver rails have a slot width of .180", but are not necessarily consistent in the spacing of slot centers. The Picatinny locking slot width is 0.206"(5.2324mm) and the spacing of slot centers is 0.394"(10.0076mm). Because of this, Weaver devices will fit on Picatinny rails, but Picatinny devices will not always fit on Weaver rails.

As I previously posted, an easy and inexpensive solution would be to use a picatinny riser, like those used on flat-top AR-15s.