PDA

View Full Version : mossberg 500/590 bolt disassembly help

Ballistic043
07-14-2008, 4:58 PM
i have given up on local gun shops. so far i have spent 85 dollars to have my shotgun fixed and they gave it back to me broken every single time. (FYI< do not go to bolsa gunsmithing) i am not going to go back and demand bunk service when its obvious they are not competent enough to fix such a small freaking problem.

the problem it seems is that the spring around my firing pin is catching on the pin itself. as if a few coils have been bent and its causing the pin to jam. this actually concerns me because with the protrusion of the pin outside the bolt face, could cause a discharge out-of-battery. its very similar to having a huge piece of sand jamming things up..

now i am pretty sure i can fix this by myself but i dont know how to disassemble the bolt assembly at all. and there is no decent info on the web. at this point i only trust myself to work on this gun. and since i really dont want to send my 590 back to mossberg and not have a shotgun for 3 months, i was wondering if anyone could help.

the stupid gun shop even replaced the firing pin telling me that was the problem. gun is now sitting with a new firing pin and still no bang. i have had to borrow my LEO friends 870 just to get by and for such a small but potentially significant problem.. is really embarrassing.

fleegman
07-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Go to this link, then scroll down to two links dated " November 14" for videos that show how:
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx

sloguy
07-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Go to this link, then scroll down to two links dated " November 14" for videos that show how:
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx

unless i missed it, that video didnt show bolt disassembly. it showed how to disassemble the larger parts but not the bolt.

why not make the gunsmith fix it? dont they stand behind their work?

sloguy
07-15-2008, 12:10 AM
by he way, why does this sound familiar? has this story been posted before?

Ballistic043
07-15-2008, 9:46 AM
thanks for the link! those life liberty guys make some nice videos..

unfortunately the link only details basic field stripping. after all the searching ive done for such basic information, it is leading me to believe that nobody has ever detail stripped their mossberg shotgun before! i mean cripes, is this why our shotgun forum is nearly dead!

i am just about ready to start punching out roll pins and hope for the best...

oh, and yes i did post this story before. it was a big long thread about how bolsa gunsmithing sucks. but its my own fault, for not listening to all the bad rumors.

i really didnt want to travel all around socal just to have a stupid problem serviced. so, i bit the bullet and now im paying

sloguy
07-15-2008, 9:54 AM
i say punch out the rollpins and check it out. worst case you will have to have a gunsmith reassemble it if you cant get it back together. no better way to learn than taking apart something that is broken already.

another idea for this is to just buy a new mossberg of the same model. that way you have spare parts for if the new one breaks.

Guntech
07-15-2008, 11:59 AM
or get an 870

Ballistic043
07-15-2008, 2:10 PM
have one need working mossberg

swifty
07-18-2008, 10:42 PM
It sounds as if you have the gun field stripped. There is only one pin at the back end of the bolt that holds the firing pin in place. Drive it out.

The locking block is held in by one pin. Drive it out.

Ballistic043
08-18-2008, 12:49 PM
um,

care to explain why the locking nut pin wont move a milimeter in either direction? might want to mention that KEY important piece of the puzzle... so someone doesnt damage their shotgun?

luckily i am not going to sit here and bang the hell out of my bolt and possibly break something else. but if your going to give advise on a firearm, please give full descriptions of what your talking about. if it was as simple as driving out a few pins, i probably wouldnt still be asking how to disassemble the bolt.

i must be the first owner of a mossberg who has ever dared to 'field strip' their shotgun before. thats kind of pathetic

ojisan
08-18-2008, 2:37 PM
Mossberg does not sell any bolt parts separate. So even if you get the bolt apart there are no replacement parts unless you make them yourself. I did spend the time to research this answer for you in the previous thread.
Here's where to find the Mossberg 500 owner's manual pdf w/ parts breakdown...pg 28.
http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?ID=520&section=service
Just get a new bolt assy and be done.

-hanko
08-18-2008, 4:57 PM
Mossberg does not sell any bolt parts separate. So even if you get the bolt apart there are no replacement parts unless you make them yourself.
Which is strange because I received 2 extractors and a few roll pins from them yesterday.:confused:

-hanko

Ballistic043
08-18-2008, 7:48 PM
you my friend are on crack. i have a brand new firing pin sitting right in front of me that was purchased from mossberg... you can buy mossberg parts ALL over the internet. how in the world do you expect gunsmiths to work on mossbergs if the parts arent obtainable? we'd all be sitting with broken mossy's...

i really hate to be rude. but lately the responses have seem quite indictive that people dont even read. or they do, but they intentionally spew FUD knowingly just to make themselves look credible in the face of question

ojisan
08-18-2008, 8:53 PM
My regrets. My Mossbergs have never broken or failed even once. I took the time to look into the problem for you...if Mossberg does not list the parts in their catalog then how can you get them? Many spare parts are sold only as sub-assemblies in many industries, sometimes because parts are welded or permanently pinned together. Apparently they do sell them separate...why unlisted I do not know. I guess I should have called them for you first to find out.
Have fun getting the pins out.

swifty
08-18-2008, 9:03 PM
um,

1) care to explain why the locking nut pin wont move a milimeter in either direction? might want to mention that KEY important piece of the puzzle

2) i am not going to sit here and bang the hell out of my bolt and possibly break something else.

3) but if your going to give advise on a firearm, please give full descriptions of what your talking about. if it was as simple as driving out a few pins, i probably wouldnt still be asking how to disassemble the bolt.

4) thats kind of pathetic

1) There is no "nut". Use proper tools: Steel bench block, short pin punch, hammer, work bench. The pin is enlarged in the center to prevent it from falling out. Most American made guns have parts intended to be removed from left to right. This pin can be driven either way. The other pin is splined on one end.

As no photos were included and you stated that several people worked on this firearm, including yourself, there is no way of knowing which parts are in correct or incorrect. Use a magnifying glass to view the parts and make a decision, (note: the big end comes out first, the small end goes in first).

2) Use proper tools: See #1 above. Learn before you "...bang the hell...".

3) Sorry to trouble you. It is simple.

4) I agree, your attitude towards those trying to help you IS pathetic.

redneckshootist
08-18-2008, 9:37 PM
http://e-gunparts.com/schemzoom.asp?schem=0840z500
theres a break down of the bolt there.
looks like you just need to remove two pins to dissamble it
#30 and #31
Im gonna try it just for kicks, Ill let you know how it turns out.