PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster Carbon-15

cj1026
07-14-2008, 3:07 PM
So after my wife shooting my OLL, she now wants her own. The only thing she didn't like was the wait of it. She thinks they are to heavy. :confused:
So anyways
I Was talking about it with a buddy of mine that lives in Arizona (free state). He said his wife has a Bushmaster Carbon-15 that she doen't want. Could he ship that here to Kalifornia (FFL)? Wouldn't he just have to remove the pistol grip?

dfletcher
07-14-2008, 3:16 PM
Can't speak to the legality, but I've handled the carbon and of course aluminium receivers. Comparing stripped receivers only side by side the BM seems much, much lighter. But when assembled into a functioning AR it doesn't seem to me the few ounces are noticeable. Just may take on it.

bohoki
07-14-2008, 3:18 PM
yea the wait is always a problem

cj1026
07-14-2008, 3:21 PM
I've held his and I think it is considerably lighter. Its just funny looking. Stupid S.S. barrel w/ removable comp, dumb stock and cheesy forearm.

aplinker
07-14-2008, 3:21 PM
It's off-list.

It won't save but a few ounces. The #1 way to drop weight is by choosing a lightweight profile barrel.

Also, keep in mind, dropping the weight will increase the felt recoil. I'd suggest a 14.5" lightweight barrel with a good permanent compensator.

heycorey
07-14-2008, 3:24 PM
Send your buddy a bullet-button and have him install it; that should eliminate any legality concerns for an OLL-friendly shop.

The difference in weight between a Carbon-15 and aluminum AR isn't huge, but it might be enough to make a difference for your wife. It also helps if you don't hang a bunch of furniture on the rail.

BroncoBob
07-14-2008, 3:25 PM
If the Carbon 15 your buddy has is a top loading model it is a completely CA legal AR. My son has one which I gave to him and they are very light compared to a regular AR with the same size barrel. (I have 5 other AR'sto compare to) It would have to ship from his FFL to your FFL and of course I pretty sure that the CFLC will be required. Ship as it is, pistol grip attached. If you do the transfer, contact Bushmaster and request a copy of the CA DOJ approval letter. Keep this letter in your gun case. If there are any questions by a LEO just pull out the copy of the DOJ approval letter. She'll enjoy it!

cj1026
07-14-2008, 3:28 PM
My buddy and his wife are comeing up next month. Could I ship him a BB and have him bring it with him?

heycorey
07-14-2008, 3:37 PM
I don't see why he couldn't bring it with him, but you'll still have to go through an FFL to do a transfer.

Make sure he doesn't bring any hi-caps with him if he does bring it in.

cj1026
07-14-2008, 3:40 PM
I don't see why he couldn't bring it with him, but you'll still have to go through an FFL to do a transfer.

Make sure he doesn't bring any hi-caps with him if he does bring it in.

What no hi-caps and FFL. Crap. ;)

Yeah just easier for both of us if he bring it with him instead of shipping through an FFL to my FFL.

BroncoBob
07-14-2008, 3:48 PM
My buddy and his wife are comeing up next month. Could I ship him a BB and have him bring it with him?

Is this model a CA Carbon 15? If it is you don't need a BB as the mag well is sealed and the mag is internal.
Here's a photo of my sons CA Legal Carbon 15 Top Loader

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-021S.jpg

cj1026
07-14-2008, 3:53 PM
No its the funky looking one with the S.S. barrel, oval forearm and sold 1 piece butt stock. It does have an open mag well.
http://www.gunshopfinder.com/bushmaster/bushmastertype21rifle.asp

BroncoBob
07-14-2008, 8:00 PM
No its the funky looking one with the S.S. barrel, oval forearm and sold 1 piece butt stock. It does have an open mag well.
http://www.gunshopfinder.com/bushmaster/bushmastertype21rifle.asp

Make sure it is not on the named list. If not treat it like a regular OLL and have it go from your buddies FFL to your FFL and install the BB to the rifle before it comes into the state. Make sure that the mag is a 10 rd mag. Don't bring in any hi cap mags.

heycorey
07-15-2008, 5:34 AM
Carbon-15's are not on the list. I've got one ... or two ... or ...

BroncoBob
07-15-2008, 6:33 AM
Carbon-15's are not on the list. I've got one ... or two ... or ...

heycorey: So it looks like cj1026 should be good to go if he treats it just like any other OLL and does the FFL to FFL xfer since it was registered in AZ. Since I'm not an expert on this do you agree with this?

heycorey
07-15-2008, 7:26 AM
heycorey: So it looks like cj1026 should be good to go if he treats it just like any other OLL and does the FFL to FFL xfer since it was registered in AZ. Since I'm not an expert on this do you agree with this?

It's definitely an OLL. Install a BB in it and all is well. But I'm not sure how to handle a PPT (while his buddy is IN California) if one person and/or the rifle is from out-of-state. All I've done is out-of-state direct to my FFL or PPT with both parties from CA.