PDA

View Full Version : binoculars or spotting scope?

trinydex
07-14-2008, 3:47 PM
i got to use a spotting scope this weekend. the view was incredibly small.

are there spotting scopes that have more field of view or like a bigger eye picture? i don't quite know how to describe this.... it's like i felt like i wasn't looking at something that was magnified many times.

or should i just get binoculars? 10x isn't really enough to see hits at 150 or 200 yards is it?

LibertyOptics
07-14-2008, 7:30 PM
Generally speaking, FOV shrinks the higher in magnification you go. On average, spotters have about 70-85% less FOV than the average 8-10x binoculars. You can go 12-15x on a bino, and see your hits on high contrast medium, but you tend to see the "shakes" in your image by holding them in your hand, which adds to your frustration. You can always tripod mount a large set of binos.

A quality spotter can be more than sufficient at magnification in the mid 20's for all your spotting needs, but have a decent FOV, about 100 feet per 1000 yards, or 10-20 feet per 100-200 yards. For example like the Kowa with 25x or 27x LER eyepiece.

It's important to understand your expectations, spotters are made to see fine details at very long range, and that performance comes at a price in terms of higher cost and smaller FOV.

Scott

glockman19
07-14-2008, 7:33 PM
Spotting Scope for the range. Binoculars for hunting.

LibertyOptics
07-15-2008, 9:30 AM
Spotting Scope for the range. Binoculars for hunting.

Hard to argue with this brief, but concise, summary :D