PDA

View Full Version : My 1st AR from Irvington Arms

Dmitri76
07-14-2008, 12:58 PM
I have gotten into shooting / collecting guns after the CA AWB so i thought i'd never be able to own an AR type rifle unless i moved out of state .. Well after reading this forum for a while, i finally decided to bite the bullet ( A .223 of course :D) and DROSed one at Irvington Arms yesterday ! It's built on a CMMG lower w/ bullet button, a fixed stock and 20'' upper w/ carry handle. I'm really new to ARs so can't even say what upper is is, until the 7/22 at least - the waiting period s@cks :mad:
The people at Irvington Arms were really great, answering all my newbie questions and they had one in stock in just the configuration i wanted !

Having never dealt with AR's i didn't feel like building my 1st one myself starting with just the lower, but now i think i should have put an extra lower or 2 on the same dros :rolleyes: .. How dificult is it to assemble one starting with just the lower and parts kit, than adding stock and an upper ? I guess putting the trigger and all the small parts into the lower is the scariest part - putting on the stock and complete upper should be easier ?
Also what are the differences between the OLL's that we can buy, like CMMG, Stag etc ? Are some better than others or is it just the preference thing ? Since they are not that expensive compared to a built rifle, i'm thinking of putting 1 or 2 on the bottom of the safe, perhaps to built up sometime later as collapsible stock / 16'' barrel (M4 style ) rifle...

07-14-2008, 1:02 PM
Give Irvington Arms a call, they might be willing to add on some lowers to your DROS. Putting together a lower is really easy. Here is a website that will explain it all. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782
Enjoy your new rifle and welcome to the forum.

scubamark13
07-14-2008, 1:06 PM
You can also watch this video on the assembly of the lower
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx

Buy any lower you like except vulcan I personally prefer Mega Gators but it is up to you just pick the logo you want and order it.

Good Luck

gcvt
07-14-2008, 1:11 PM
Sounds like you had the typical Irvington Arms experience. Great bunch of folks down there! Congrats on your rifle.

GTXR390
07-14-2008, 1:13 PM
You can also watch this video on the assembly of the lower
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx

Buy any lower you like except vulcan I personally prefer Mega Gators but it is up to you just pick the logo you want and order it.

Good Luck

Congrats, Dimitri76, on ur AR purchase...i love both of mine. Post some pix when u get it.

Irvington Arms Rocks!!!! :D

cool, i've been looking for how to video...unfortunately, i can't get it to work...anyone have a copy of this video to DL? I'd like to archive these videos.

Thanks,
GT

BlackRifle313
07-14-2008, 1:18 PM
Putting together a lower is super easy. I was just like you and was kind of nervous about the trigger and hammer group but when you take it apart you realize how simple it is. If you are just assembling a lower and just popping on a complete upper you could do it in 20 mins. you need some good punches, a hammer, and some screwdrivers to assemble the lower. I would also recommend a lower receiver vise block so you can clamp it in a vise. you can get all the necessary tools at brownells. i wold also recommend this book it walks you through every step of assembling the AR-15 http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Assembly-Guide-AR-15-Vol/dp/1888722126/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216066669&sr=8-1

AR152be
07-14-2008, 1:39 PM
I have Found That Gun Exchange offer more of a selection on Build kits, uppers, and best lower you can find on the market { NOVESKE } for AR- 15..And they are freindly customer service...I buy all my AR rifle, and part at Gun Exchange @ 2902 Almaden Expy, San Jose..GReat Price's too, Better than anyone here in the Bay Area!!!!

Dmitri76
07-14-2008, 1:43 PM
Thanks for replies, guys, hopefully by the end of 10 days i'll know more about AR's ! Now i'm thinking about getting a lower already complete with parts from a kit, is it a good idea to buy complete lower vs. stripped or its not worth it ? Also how does it work with adding something to an already submitted DROS ? Does it restart the waiting period, and you have to pay another $25 ?

AR152be
07-14-2008, 1:48 PM
I know if you buy the lower at Gun Exchange, they will build it for free..

AR152be
07-14-2008, 1:51 PM
All you need is the Strip lower to run DROS, after that everything is just Furniture for your rifle..Only need DROS on Strip or not Strip lower Once for each lower you buy...

AC Gould
07-14-2008, 1:55 PM
When you decide to build your own, be sure to get a couple of extra detent springs and detent points for the pins. You are likely to loose one or two sooner or later. Save some gas and get them when you pick your stuff up. Heck, you ought to get some even for the built action, as you'll likely take it apart sometime...saves a lot of time crawling around on the floor searching. :D

AR152be
07-14-2008, 1:57 PM
Those great People at GUN EXCHANGE really gave me alote info on all you need to know about AR-15 building, and service of your AR...Hope it works out for you DMitri76...Good Luck

Dmitri76
07-14-2008, 2:13 PM
Yeah i had been to Gun Exchange the day before, but wasn't ready to built one myself and they only had one .223 AR in stock i believe .. About $100 or $150 more than what i spent but it had a collapsable stock and perhaps more, so it was probably well worth it.

AR152be
07-14-2008, 2:21 PM
They have many upper fro .223 and 6.8, plus there lowers are NOVESKE you cant get a more better or reliable lower than that..I always learn that you always get foe what you pay for..I want the best, even if that mean paying a few more extra dolloars to get it...

bigdave1121
07-14-2008, 3:19 PM
Is it blatently obvious to anyone else that "AR15be" is a shill for The Gun Exchange?

Seriously who is that? Technique? The One? :D

ETA: Do you guys really have Noveske lowers in stock?

ETA2: Welcome to the BRD Dmitri :D

One Shot, One Dropped
07-14-2008, 3:37 PM
They do seem to have Noveske much more often than anywhere else. The price is kind of steep (compared to online), but there isn't a long wait.

That just reminds me that I have to get going on this new build this week...

One Shot, One Dropped
07-14-2008, 3:41 PM
And, AR152be, you keep talking about your AR that they built, but I can't find any note of you posting any pictures of it on these forums (yet). Where is it, man?

technique
07-14-2008, 3:50 PM
I know AR152BE,...His brother and him come in often...as a matter of fact, his brother just got Sig 226 yesterday at a smokin deal...must be why I earned all the plugs:D!!! If I remember correctly...he has a Noveske lower and a STAG 2H upper cut at 14.5 with perm PWS break. Rock on brother man!!!! And it is true, I will not charge you for an install. All you have to do is ask any questions you may have, and I always try to make it happen.

technique
07-14-2008, 3:51 PM
P.S. Irvington Arms rocks!!!!!

domokun
07-14-2008, 3:55 PM
Congrats on your purchase. You are now officially a carrier of Black Rifle Disease (BRD)! :43:

Dmitri76
07-14-2008, 3:59 PM
I knew it must be some kind of a desease :) I mean not even half way into the waiting period to get the first rifle and i already want to have 1-2 extra lowers in my safe, just in case i want to build a different one, CA pulls some more AW crap or whatever ..

One Shot, One Dropped
07-14-2008, 4:36 PM
I know AR152BE,...His brother and him come in often...as a matter of fact, his brother just got Sig 226 yesterday at a smokin deal...must be why I earned all the plugs:D!!! If I remember correctly...he has a Noveske lower and a STAG 2H upper cut at 14.5 with perm PWS break. Rock on brother man!!!! And it is true, I will not charge you for an install. All you have to do is ask any questions you may have, and I always try to make it happen.

That is true; you guys do make it happen. I'm pretty satisfied with the last two ARs you guys built for me.

Sounds like a pretty cool build too.

mltrading
07-14-2008, 4:56 PM
Sounds like another typical Irvington Arms experience.

Well, congratulations on your black rifle. Also you are welcome to the BRD club!!! Wait for several days then enjoy!

AR152be
07-14-2008, 7:20 PM
I am a very happy with what Gun Exchange has done for me,and my brother. They have the best AR-15 stuff you get around here. All I am saying is Irvington Arms good, but Gun Exchange is way Better for product. And to mention there Killer *** deals, and service....

Good Luck!!

scfast
07-14-2008, 8:52 PM
and best lower you can find on the market { NOVESKE } fI don't know about the best...top tier mfg yes...best no...

AR152be
07-14-2008, 9:21 PM
You can Have Your opinions, But I know where I STAND.....

jeffyboy
07-14-2008, 9:27 PM
I have gotten into shooting / collecting guns after the CA AWB so i thought i'd never be able to own an AR type rifle unless i moved out of state .. Well after reading this forum for a while, i finally decided to bite the bullet ( A .223 of course :D) and DROSed one at Irvington Arms yesterday ! It's built on a CMMG lower w/ bullet button, a fixed stock and 20'' upper w/ carry handle. I'm really new to ARs so can't even say what upper is is, until the 7/22 at least - the waiting period s@cks :mad:
The people at Irvington Arms were really great, answering all my newbie questions and they had one in stock in just the configuration i wanted !

Having never dealt with AR's i didn't feel like building my 1st one myself starting with just the lower, but now i think i should have put an extra lower or 2 on the same dros :rolleyes: .. How dificult is it to assemble one starting with just the lower and parts kit, than adding stock and an upper ? I guess putting the trigger and all the small parts into the lower is the scariest part - putting on the stock and complete upper should be easier ?
Also what are the differences between the OLL's that we can buy, like CMMG, Stag etc ? Are some better than others or is it just the preference thing ? Since they are not that expensive compared to a built rifle, i'm thinking of putting 1 or 2 on the bottom of the safe, perhaps to built up sometime later as collapsible stock / 16'' barrel (M4 style ) rifle...

Putting the lower together is a piece of cake. Just take your time.

There is a nice instructional procedure over at ar15.com.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Good luck and welcome to the craze!!! :D

knucklehead 61
07-14-2008, 10:19 PM
hey AR15be, looks like you got a little brown "stuff" on your nose, might want to wipe it off...:p

j/k :D

Is it blatently obvious to anyone else that "AR15be" is a shill for The Gun Exchange?

AR152be
07-15-2008, 8:58 AM
No, Just know where I can go to get All my AR-15 rifle product. And why dont you come over and wipe it if since your the only one that see's it, yOu CLOWN!!!!!