PDA

View Full Version : what is the correct way to pronounce PC sections?

natedogg1777
07-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Say for instance PC 12276 - is it "twelve, two-hundred seventy-six" or "one-twenty-two seventy-six"? In the event that I ever had to cite PC to an LEO, I would hate to sound stupid and ignorant by not pronouncing it the "proper" way!

Saigon1965
07-14-2008, 10:42 AM
There was a thread covering this awhile back - let see if we can find it.

tyrist
07-14-2008, 10:42 AM
One-Twenty-two seventy-six would be more common. However you can also just use one two two seven six PC. Eitherway you are not going to sound stupid if you know what you are talking about and do it in an articulate manner without yelling and screaming.

Shane916
07-14-2008, 10:49 AM
It's quite random as 211 is usually said as 'Two Eleven' but a 459 is normally said as 'Four Five Nine'.. 415 is said as 'Four Fifteen' of course the 5150 is always 'Fifty One Fifty' :D

ke6guj
07-14-2008, 10:51 AM
There was a thread covering this awhile back - let see if we can find it.
Walking the walk? Then talk the talk! re:OLL, OC, CCW (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=105492)

As mentioned in that link, different agency's say the numbers in different ways, but as long as you can articulate yourself, you should be able to get the info accross.

IKAHUI
07-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Were you able to find that thread

mecam
07-14-2008, 10:55 AM
It's quite random as 211 is usually said as 'Two Eleven' but a 459 is normally said as 'Four Five Nine'.. 415 is said as 'Four Fifteen' of course the 5150 is always 'Fifty One Fifty' :D

On the streets, it's Fitty one Fitty. ;)

Saigon1965
07-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Ke6 found it.

Anthonysmanifesto
07-14-2008, 11:59 AM
I submit to you that there is no right or wrong way to say a string of numbers. while im certain that persons in professions where information is passed over a radio, certain ways of saying things are learned and passed on.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
07-14-2008, 12:08 PM
I say twelve-oh-twenty and twelve-two-seventy-six etc.

Ironchef
07-14-2008, 12:28 PM
As a scanner/radio listener, I have heard "twelve 'O thirtyone" and "twelve thousand thirtyone" and I've heard "four five nine" and "four fifty nine" and "two eleven strong-arm" "..rp says she was two forty-two'd" and there's endless "four fifteens" and "ten fifty-ones" in Antioch!

In short, say it however you want..just focus on citing correctly. Personally, I'll just say it like, "Sure office, you can do your required twelve 'o thirty-one check! Just be gentle!"

jamesob
07-14-2008, 1:04 PM
when i was in l.e i would say for example 11550 h&s would be eleven five fifty h&s and so on.

Creeping Incrementalism
07-14-2008, 7:14 PM
I submit to you that there is no right or wrong way to say a string of numbers. while im certain that persons in professions where information is passed over a radio, certain ways of saying things are learned and passed on.

In a similar vein, in aviation, which I believe follows NATO radio-speak, you are supposed to say "nine ER" for 9 and "tree" of 3. But nine was usually said (people get lazy with the tongue and not even the German flight students ever got confused by that one) and I never once heard anyone say "tree" instead of "three". Unless because of radio static I was the only one in the world who didn't say it and just didn't realize it.

Anyway, with a number as long and obscure (to most) as 12276, I think just pronouncing every number individually (a la NATO radio-speak) will work fine.

Brooke
07-14-2008, 7:21 PM
Say for instance PC 12276 - is it "twelve, two-hundred seventy-six" or "one-twenty-two seventy-six"? In the event that I ever had to cite PC to an LEO, I would hate to sound stupid and ignorant by not pronouncing it the "proper" way!

These sections are the "twelves". 12031 is "Twelve-oh-thirty-one". 12025 is "Twelve-oh-twenty-five". I'm not familiar off the top of my head with 12276, but I'd call it "Twelve-two-seventy-six". Based on 15 years in criminal courts in NorCal.

11Z50
07-14-2008, 7:41 PM
I think it depends on the agency and the area. City Cops and County Mounties deal mostly with Penal Code violations, with a few dope laws, Health and Safety Code. Accordingly, when talking with local cops, you don't usually have to include "PC" or "H&S" when throwing out the numbers. In the unsual event of dealing with Vehicle Code, they usually add "CVC" to the end of those numbers so as to avoid confusion.

The number parts are usually stated "2-eleven" or 2-fortyfive". Murder is usually said "1-eightyseven", although I have heard "1-8-7 PC" used for extra effect over the radio. The longer ones are broken up with the first two, then the rest. An interesting note is that in copspeak "zero" is "oh". So, 10851CVC is called "10-eight-fifty-one", while 12031PC is "12-oh-thirtyone", and 14601CVC is "14-six-oh-one". I have heard the weapons sections in the PC stated as "120-twenty", and "120-thirtyone".

When you mix 10-code (radio brevity codes) and PC or CVC sections, the uninitiated can quickly become lost. "10-Boy-3 is 10-6 with the 10-17 on a 10-eight-five-one." (3rd shift officer, 10-Boy area, or beat, is busy talking to the reporting person on a stolen vehicle report)

Military types and reservists who happen to be cops sometimes have a difficult time in using the Police phonetic alphabet and horrendous radio procedure is often the result.

Lawyers and cops pronounce the codes the same way, so I suppose that's just the way the civilians figured out how to speak all the sections they deal with.

RomanDad
07-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Unless its one of the laws that has become a term of art ("One Eighty-seven", "Two Eleven", "Four Fifteen", "Nineteen Eighty Three" etc) I read each number in the singular or combined in groups of two.... so BPC 6126 would be "Six One Two Six" or MAYBE "Sixty one Twenty Six" but never "Six Thousand One Hundred and Twenty Six".

Not sure WHY.... Its just how Ive always done it....

Grimjack
07-15-2008, 5:35 AM
I'd be careful about using too much "cop speak" with officers if you aren't one. The cop will think you're a "wannabe" or just a tool....

Liberty1
07-15-2008, 7:29 PM
Walking the walk? Then talk the talk! re:OLL, OC, CCW (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=105492)

As mentioned in that link, different agency's say the numbers in different ways, but as long as you can articulate yourself, you should be able to get the info accross.

Ha! I haven't revisited that post since I did it. Boy was I being parochial. Never thought others did it another way. It's all good. As long as one can come across as law abiding and knowledgeable there is a chance of not getting arrested.

But some arrests are just going to happen. Have a friendly witness and carry a recorder if you can.