PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between these two uppers?

exon111
07-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Is anyone familiar with these two uppers and do you know what the differences are? Which one would you prefer for a SHTF rifle? The only difference I could find was a stainless barrel on one. Is that better?

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=un4lr&cat=48&page=1&search=&since=&status=

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u161556&cat=56&page=1&search=&since=&status=

mltrading
07-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Link #1: regular flat top upper receiver / 11" forearm / SEI muzzle Brake

Link #2: Vltor MUR upper receiver / 9.6" forearm / SEI Vortex flash hider

bohoki
07-14-2008, 11:59 AM
one looks like it has a stainless barrel

bobfried
07-14-2008, 2:57 PM
The Recon is indeed SS and is geared towards the more "precision shooting" crowd. It actually costs more than the RECCE, but is priced less because the RECCE comes with a set of folding Troy sights.

The RECON is again stainless, has a Mod-0 chamber to be more accurate, but also tighter and pickier on ammo. It SHOULD be more accurate, the operative word is SHOULD.

The RECCE is made from the same steel as used in the M249 SAW, is DOUBLE chrome-lined and has a regular 5.56 chamber, though more akin to a Wylde as far as I know. It is also lighter in profile, not sure about the weight.

The RECON is again more accurate, but the RECCE will last till hell freezes over. Reports said that the RECCE is more than capable of being sub-MOA, whilst the RECON has been known to shoot well into the 1/2 to 1/4 MOA territory.

If SHTF there is nothing out there that would be better than the RECCE that Noveske is offering. I have the N4 carbine version and loves it, if I was to buy another one I'd surely get the 16" RECCE. It should out last me and I put at least a few thousands round a year through my rifles.

geeknow
07-14-2008, 3:00 PM
for a SHTF situation, would a 1:7 be ideal? I know it will perform, but would a more universal twist be more appropriate?

aplinker
07-14-2008, 4:36 PM
for a SHTF situation, would a 1:7 be ideal? I know it will perform, but would a more universal twist be more appropriate?

1/7 will work with anything commonly available (from 55gr up to the heaviest stuff out there)

You can't use varmint loads, though.

1/7 was picked for .mil because of the big, long tracer rounds.

I think if I were forced to pick one AR it would absolutely be the RECCE.

exon111
07-14-2008, 6:03 PM
The Recon is indeed SS and is geared towards the more "precision shooting" crowd. It actually costs more than the RECCE, but is priced less because the RECCE comes with a set of folding Troy sights.

The RECON is again stainless, has a Mod-0 chamber to be more accurate, but also tighter and pickier on ammo. It SHOULD be more accurate, the operative word is SHOULD.

The RECCE is made from the same steel as used in the M249 SAW, is DOUBLE chrome-lined and has a regular 5.56 chamber, though more akin to a Wylde as far as I know. It is also lighter in profile, not sure about the weight.

The RECON is again more accurate, but the RECCE will last till hell freezes over. Reports said that the RECCE is more than capable of being sub-MOA, whilst the RECON has been known to shoot well into the 1/2 to 1/4 MOA territory.

If SHTF there is nothing out there that would be better than the RECCE that Noveske is offering. I have the N4 carbine version and loves it, if I was to buy another one I'd surely get the 16" RECCE. It should out last me and I put at least a few thousands round a year through my rifles.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. So if you were going to buy a Noveske now, would you pick the Reece over the 14.5 inch?

J_Rock
07-14-2008, 6:12 PM
For SHTF both will serve you well. Both barrels are reliable and corrosion resistant. If they are similar in price I would choose the stainless steel barrel because the 99.9% when you are not using your rifle for SHTF you will be shooting it at the range. If you are worried about longevity a SS barrel will last in excess of 15k rounds

aplinker
07-14-2008, 6:42 PM
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. So if you were going to buy a Noveske now, would you pick the Reece over the 14.5 inch?

I'm betting he would. :)

The reason being is 1.) 16" is about the ideal length for 95% of normal shooting (0-500yds) and is reasonable in length for navigating in tight spaces.
2.) the 16" barrel does NOT require the muzzle device to be permanently attached (welded) in place. This offers you more flexibility as you can swap as needed.

If you are worried about longevity a SS barrel will last in excess of 15k rounds

To put this in perspective, at current prices it would cost about $7500 to shoot out a SS barrel in ammo cost alone. :)

pdq_wizzard
07-14-2008, 7:26 PM
Is anyone familiar with these two uppers and do you know what the differences are?

$89 :D

scfast
07-14-2008, 8:48 PM
They both kick ***..