PDA

View Full Version : Orange County Ranges

FlyingPen
07-14-2008, 1:42 AM
Of course after I buy an American Shooting Center and Project 2000 memberships I found out I'm moving up to OC for 3 months at the least.

I tried On Target and they seem to be nice and professional, unfortunately range is only out to 25 yards I believe.

I'd like to know about other ranges near Huntington Beach within say 30 miles. How is LAX Firing Range? Yards? OLLs? Steel cased ammo?

I'd like to know:

* Do they allow rifles, specifically OLLs
* Do they allow steel cased ammo like Silver Bear
* How many yards is the range?

On Target seems to allow rifles and steel cased ammo as long as I take one of their safety classes.

I asked them about OLLs and got a sort of mysterious answer:

We allow everthing but trzcer ammo on the range --- as far as what firearm
you shoot we have a rifle policy -- see below --- what you shoot must be CA
legal -- we have people that come in -- undercover & not invited - that
might cause you some grief -- please be careful as we don't want any
customers to get into trouble --

On-Target has a standard policy (as do most ranges) of allowing all pistol
calibers and rifles in pistol calibers. We also have the ballistic backstop
and therefore allow centerfire rifles up to .458 magnum to be shot here. We
require that a centerfire rifle caliber shooter attend one of our classes
(over 400 so far) for additional safety instruction. We hold those classes
each week on Sunday morning at 10 AM and the cost is $20 with a “Rifle”
permit issued to each shooter. Without this permit one cannot shoot them
here. We also try to work with shooters that cannot do the Sunday classes
and will hold classes at other scheduled times – call for an appointment.

TenSeven
07-14-2008, 2:45 AM
I had no idea On Target allowed rifles. I called them a few months ago to learn what they allowed and the guy on the phone poo-poo'd even my 12 ga shotgun and strongly gave me the impression that they are pistols or .22 rifles only.

Let me know if that was FUD, OT is much closer than Burro Canyon.

TenSeven
07-14-2008, 2:50 AM
Ohhh, I posted too fast. I did not read all of the quoted response you posted.

Ah, ok... I see. So OT wants us to take out our free time and pay them extra (and I'll just bet there is a periodic "requalification fee" too) to shoot there @ 25 yards?

Nah, no thanks...

Moonclip
07-14-2008, 2:55 AM
LAX is much farther though, is in a very "ghetto" area with very limited parking, and forces you to buy their ammo IIRC to shoot a rifle.

Also you have to shove your guns thru a window before you are admitted and the help paws over your guns.

I don't like the rifle class thing either but the $20 class to shoot rifles is good for 2 years(why 2 years, do I suddenly forget how to shoot after 2 years?) and includes a rifle range fee IIRC.

DrunkSkunk
07-14-2008, 2:55 AM
$20 rifle permit. lmfao.

paaaaaaass.

Just go to burro dude.

LAX allows shotguns, and AR's with frangible ammo or pistol caliber (unless it changed, that was about 6mo ago or so?)

WilsonCQB
07-14-2008, 7:39 AM
I had no idea On Target allowed rifles. I called them a few months ago to learn what they allowed and the guy on the phone poo-poo'd even my 12 ga shotgun and strongly gave me the impression that they are pistols or .22 rifles only.

Let me know if that was FUD, OT is much closer than Burro Canyon.

On-Target does allow centerfire rifles after you have taken the safety course. Shotguns have been baned there after a former employee shot up the overhead lights and baffles after being let go the week before (2006). Also, a shotgun is not a rifle.

Someguy925
07-14-2008, 7:40 AM
On-Target will also let you shoot steel cased and steel core ammo. If I remember correctly, the only reason they have that "safety" class is for insurance reasons. As in telling people not to shoot through the ceiling onto the 5 freeway or the adjecent shopping center. Hey at least you get a free lane rental afterwards, so it's really just like 6 dollars :D.

If you're looking for distance, Burro Canyon and Angeles Range. If you do a search, you'll find tons of users' info on it.

shark92651
07-14-2008, 8:07 AM
On Target is OLL-friendly. I go there with rifles whenever I need to try out a new magazine or get a rifle "on paper" before I head to the outdoor range. I have never had anyone on the staff or another customer ever say a word to me about my rifles - except to ask a question or two and admire them. I mostly shoot pistols there but the $20 for rifles is not bad when you consider the price of gas these days - they had some damage from people shooting up the target holders and an actual round that left the building through the roof! It's understandable why they want to make sure you are not a moron before they let you shoot rifles there.

FlyingPen
07-14-2008, 8:51 AM
How far does Burro go out to and do they allow Wolf?

Angeles seems to be out to all the way to 600 yards.

Which range is better?

I guess I'll be taking that On Target class and probably getting a membership as well.

1BigPea
07-14-2008, 3:26 PM
I understand it's a liability thing for them...Having that class at On Target is actually a good thing for other shooter too! I went a few Sundays ago just to get it out of the way. I was surprised, I was the only one in the class that had a lot of experience with a rifle, one guy couldnt even hit the target with his from 15 yards. :eek: They helped him out and showed him quite a few things so he could actually hit the target. I wouldnt want to be on the range with people who have absolutely no experience with a rifle, at least the class gives them some one on one time.

I don't want to have to drive 1 hour to an outdoor range when i get the itch to just fire a couple hundred rounds through my AR. On target is close and the $20 covers your lane fee after the class. Not too bad.

Moonclip
07-14-2008, 5:04 PM
Shotguns have been baned there after a former employee shot up the overhead lights and baffles after being let go the week before (2006).

Uh,yeah, that makes sense. Punish the paying customers because of the actions of a disgruntled ex employee. And why would they even let him back on the range?

My local range, Insights only allows you to use shotguns if you buy their very overpriced Wolf birdshot. Therefor they miss out on 50-75% more of my business that goes to a more accomodating range in Torrance that allows shotguns w/o ammo restrictions.

f4tweet
07-14-2008, 9:17 PM
There is the Inland Fish and Game range in San Bernardino. It is off the I-10 at 30 , like you're going to Big Bear They have a 200 yard range. You pay by the day. Nice place, long drive from OC for me. I have shot my M1A & AR there , no problem. Here are some other ranges under where to shoot.org

http://www.inlandfishandgame.com/rifle_and_pistol_range.htm

http://www.wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/wts_subresults.asp

CHS
07-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Wow, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Firing Line yet. You mentioned you'll be in Huntington Beach, well that's where Firing Line is located :)

It's indoor, pistol/shotgun only, or rifle in pistol calibers. So yeah, not the place you'll get to take your OLL (unless you've got a 9mm), but it's a great indoor handgun range.

Black Majik
07-14-2008, 11:08 PM
The Firingline is a great range for pistols, you can bring a AR .22 also. But their range is 50 ft so if 25 yards wont do, 50 ft definitely wont.

For rifle shooting the best places are Burro and Angeles, but it's a good drive away from Orange County. It takes me about 45 minutes to get to Burro from Orange, and a full hour to get to Angeles. Exactly 30 minutes from the 55/91 onramp to the 210 fwy off the 57.

Angeles is the best for rifle shooting. Burro is fun only when you rent out a private bay with some friends.

f4tweet
07-14-2008, 11:14 PM
http://www.wheretoshoot.org/Find_Ran...subresults.asp

Moonclip
07-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Does anyone know if On Targer will let you shoot a rifle caliber handgun such as a T/C contender in .223rem if you take the rifle class?

HkUSP45
07-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Is this Charlie?? or Mike?

On-Target does allow centerfire rifles after you have taken the safety course. Shotguns have been baned there after a former employee shot up the overhead lights and baffles after being let go the week before (2006). Also, a shotgun is not a rifle.

WilsonCQB
07-20-2008, 7:20 AM
Is this Charlie?? or Mike?

Neither.
Charlie and Mike are good guys.
If you are asking if I am...no, I'm not either guy.

360PA
07-20-2008, 11:28 AM
How is LAX Firing Range? Yards? OLLs? Steel cased ammo?

I'd like to know:

* Do they allow rifles, specifically OLLs
* Do they allow steel cased ammo like Silver Bear
* How many yards is the range?

LAX Firing Range does allow rifles, they had an AR last time I checked but, I don't know if your own OLL is G2G. They have a strange entry system where you put all your guns through a bank teller like booth and they buzz you in. Must be this way cuz its Inglehood? Last time I shot there you had to have a range card like American Shooters. Costs a dollar or so. If you forget it, you have to make up a new one. I don't know if they changed that system. I didn't think to much of one of the range guys there, but maybe that was then. More at http://www.laxrange.com/

If you're okay with going to LA there is Angeles Ranges. This is a great outdoor range, with steel silouhuettes in addition to paper targets, there is skeet/trap, and a long distance rifle range. I liked this place the best when I was doing a lot of shooting. http://www.angelesranges.com/

In OC I've only been to Firing Line in HB. Nothing notable, although I thought they were expensive. I believe this is a chain range with a couple more in the LA area in Reseda and Burbank. The Reseda range was my first range experience ever when I was a kid, I shot a friends 9mm Taurus PT92. The old man behind the counter chuckled and told me to shoot something more manlier and put an unknown S&W .40 in my hand. http://www.firingline.net/

A lot of the ranges don't allow certain ammunition, Los Angeles Gun Club in Downtown LA doesn't allow HP rounds, but if you ever have the need to try out a pistol this one has the largest rental selection I have ever seen in a SoCal range. Revolvers, pistols, rifles and shotguns. http://www.thelosangelesgunclub.com/

Fortunately, I don't go to public ranges anymore unless I am shooting my rifles.

Glock_XXI
07-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Wow, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Firing Line yet. You mentioned you'll be in Huntington Beach, well that's where Firing Line is located :)

It's indoor, pistol/shotgun only, or rifle in pistol calibers. So yeah, not the place you'll get to take your OLL (unless you've got a 9mm), but it's a great indoor handgun range.

The Firing Line in Huntington does not allow shotguns and I believe they only allow 22lr rifles. I have never seen an OLL (in 22 or 9) at FL.

Moonclip
07-20-2008, 3:48 PM
[QUOTE=360PA;1373414]LAX Firing Range does allow rifles, they had an AR last time I checked but, I don't know if your own OLL is G2G. They have a strange entry system where you put all your guns through a bank teller like booth and they buzz you in. Must be this way cuz its Inglehood? Last time I shot there you had to have a range card like American Shooters. Costs a dollar or so. If you forget it, you have to make up a new one. I don't know if they changed that system. I didn't think to much of one of the range guys there, but maybe that was then. More at http://www.laxrange.com////////////////

I believe you have to use their expensive frangible ammo to shoot your rifle in .223 or 7.62x39 Also the help is known for having an attitude, the infamous "bank teller" window you put your guns through so the help can paw over them before allowing you entry and the very ghetto area with like 3 parking spaces avilable to the customers. I did get mecgar BHP .40 mags last year there for $10 though.

//////////
In OC I've only been to Firing Line in HB. Nothing notable, although I thought they were expensive. . http://www.firingline.net/ //////////

I also think they are overpriced but Brea range is worse. It's hourly. A bad experience with one of the employees prevents me from spending money with HB Firing Line. It's wasn't Kruzr I don't think.

///////////////
A lot of the ranges don't allow certain ammunition, Los Angeles Gun Club in Downtown LA doesn't allow HP rounds, but if you ever have the need to try out a pistol this one has the largest rental selection I have ever seen in a SoCal range. Revolvers, pistols, rifles and shotguns. http://www.thelosangelesgunclub.com//////////////////

They do have a huge gun rental selection and various targets shot by celebrities are hanging on the wall but I don't think you are allowed to pick up your own brass here. Very close to skid row also.

SteveH
01-01-2009, 7:39 PM
On Target in Laguna Niguel allows OLL, Bimetal ammo, wolf. You do have to take the class for the rifle card. NO SHOTGUNS though.

Iron Sights in Oceanside allows OLL and shotguns. No Wolf, No steel core, No steel case, no bimetal, nothing that sticks to a magnet.

I usually shoot rifles at On Target and Shotguns at Iron Sights.

CWM4A1
01-05-2009, 3:18 PM
On-Target will allow any kind of ammo except tracer, which is illegal in California anyway.

The information regarding shotgun is not quite true (about the disgruntle ex-employee part). The shotgun ban happened after too many of our customer gone cheap and use bird-shot instead of required 00 buck or heavier load. It does spread wide enough to take out ceiling tile and lights, and since we do not have enough resource to check everyone's bag for ammo at entrance, so we decide to put an end to that.

As for rifle, instead of rifle class, I would like to clarify it and call it a rifle qualifier course instead. The requirement is you need to be able to shoot a group less then 5 inches at 25 yards plus special safety requirement which is specific to the range setting. As mention before, Interstate 5 is right behind the range and a shopping mall is behind interstate 5. If a stray bullet went through the roof and hit someone out there, it would be very ugly (physically and legally). By doing the rifle class, it make sure everyone understand the special safety requirement and also make sure everyone at least shoot halfway decent, which also reduced a lot of range damage.

Anything that shoots a centerfire caliber rifle round will require rifle permit, so this means TC contender or any bolt action pistol that shoots high power round will require the rifle permit to shoot. Also, the permit is for the particular shooter only, no piggy back allowed. Everyone (including minors) require rifle permit to shoot the rifle, no exceptions.

ripcurlksm
01-05-2009, 4:34 PM
On Target:
1) I was lasered two times on my second visit at On Target. Its a seedy area, so I choose not to shoot here.
2) Their reload ammo is only a dollar or so cheaper than their factory, not a good deal
3) They do have a Wilson 1911 case

Iron Sights:
1) 5 min farther for me to drive, but most people there are military or police
2) Reload ammo is $6 cheaper than factory == good
3) HUGE selection of rentals, gunsmith is in house every Monday
4) Friendly staff

Sniper3142
01-05-2009, 6:38 PM
On Target:
1) I was lasered two times on my second visit at On Target. Its a seedy area, so I choose not to shoot here.
2) Their reload ammo is only a dollar or so cheaper than their factory, not a good deal
3) They do have a Wilson 1911 case

Iron Sights:
1) 5 min farther for me to drive, but most people there are military or police
2) Reload ammo is $6 cheaper than factory == good
3) HUGE selection of rentals, gunsmith is in house every Monday
4) Friendly staff

IMHO...

On Target:
1) Allows Rifle caliber ammo
2) Has a decent selection of handguns for rental
3) Is in a good area called Laguna Niguel

Reload ammo doesn't matter to me at all since I will only shoot either factory or my own loads.

;)

Paratus et Vigilans
01-05-2009, 6:58 PM
LAX = PITA. Rifles are allowed, but you have to buy their frangible ammo and all firearms have to go through their banker-box thing when you come in.

I only go there for pistols, and only when I'm meeting a friend who lives nearby. It's a 25 yard indoor range. Also, it's not in the nicest neighborhood and there's zero parking - - I use the neareby car wash to park at night.

FWIW, take your OLL elsewhere and you'll be happier. :)

NiteQwill
01-05-2009, 9:04 PM
IMHO...

On Target:
1) Allows Rifle caliber ammo
2) Has a decent selection of handguns for rental
3) Is in a good area called Laguna Niguel

Reload ammo doesn't matter to me at all since I will only shoot either factory or my own loads.

;)

Are you being sarcastic or :rolleyes:

Iron Sights allows rifle caliber ammo (no permit required), OLLs, shotguns (you name it), has 4 times as many handguns AND rifles/shotguns to rent, has a Lady's Tuesday Night, has Steel Challenges, allows you to draw from the IWB/OWB holster if you're competent, their prices are WAAAY less than ranges in SoCal, and is in the great area of Oceanside. ;)

Not to mention their staff does not spread FUD and are all former military or LEO.

And :) to a 5 month old thread ;)

zrock
01-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Are you guys looking for an outdoors range closer to home ? Some place you could go 3-4 times a month within a 45 min drive ? Are you nra members?