PDA

View Full Version : Building M1 Garand

realmswalker
07-14-2008, 1:04 AM
Hello,

I have a Tanker garand that I have decided to have built into a full length garand. I have everything needed except the full length op rod. Does anyone know of anyone in SO cal who does good work with Garands? I am also looking to reparkerize it.

NeoWeird
07-14-2008, 4:31 AM
Hello,

I have a Tanker garand that I have decided to have built into a full length garand. I have everything needed except the full length op rod. Does anyone know of anyone in SO cal who does good work with Garands? I am also looking to reparkerize it.

For the amount of money you will spend on parts alone, let alone having someone qualified rebuild it and then refinish it you could probably sell off the Tanker Garand and buy two or three normal M1 Garands or a M1 Garand and M1 Carbine.

Now if you have some weird attachment to that particular receiver and it HAS to be that receiver, then it can be done, but it would be silly to take it down considering the price that people pay for those and the price of 'surplus' M1 Garands.

nic
07-14-2008, 7:39 AM
I agree with Neoweird....
However, if you're really intent on having that Garand converted, Herb Hirota of Triple H Accurizing in Azusa does great work on M1s, M1As, and M1 Carbines. He also does parkerizing.
Lastly, I actually have a spare full-length operating rod that I do not need... PM me if you're interested.
Hope this helps.
-Nic

30Cal
07-14-2008, 8:35 AM
Tom Luhmann in Clovis.

ricknadine1111
07-14-2008, 10:55 AM
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/Uselesswithoutpics.jpg

realmswalker
07-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Thank you for the suggestions.

Neo, I already have a nice Garand. I am also currently selling my M1 Carbine as I like the gun, but this is my second one and they are just not for me.

I also tried selling the thing and no one seems to want to buy it, I posted here on calguns and another site, and word of mouth. No luck.

I got the gun for $275 with a new springfield barrel and two stocks. So if i throw 400 into it to get it running real nice and looking good, I would think I am way ahead of the game.

TeirHawg
07-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Years ago I had a Tanker that ran great. I was talked into trading the barrel and op rod for a NM 308 set-up. An old crusty Chief Gunnersmate wanted a tanker, so he hooked me up and re-built mine into a full sized Garand with some NM mods. I can't complain, the gun I got back is very nice and shoots great with the 308 barrel. Looking back, I would NOT do this trade again. I miss that Tanker, it was a blast to shoot, and ran like a champ for me. I'd say if you Tanker works, just get it re-parked. Get another Garard to build up.

kurac
07-14-2008, 1:18 PM
+1 on selling it and buying what you want, paying people to work on guns soaks up too much money and in the end you will come out upside down