PDA

View Full Version : Best shotgun to buy around $300-$500 range?

t0kie
07-14-2008, 12:34 AM
I want to get a shotgun, just for home defense & range. What should I get around $300-$500 range, and brand brand is good based on performance & customer service if there is any repair issue? How about retailer like Big 5, do they have it there or better get it online? Thanks in advance.
________
Live sex webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

ZapThyCat
07-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Mossberg 500.

SilverSalmon
07-14-2008, 4:57 AM
You'll hear Remington 870 and Mossy 590, but please also look into the Benelli Super Nova. You may decide otherwise, but at least give it a look.

Crusader
07-14-2008, 8:10 AM
I just purchased a Benelli SuperNova, which cost me $573 after tax and DROS. It is by far the best shotgun I have ever shot, and is one of the most comfortable set ups I have ever held.

AJAX22
07-14-2008, 8:30 AM
Remington 11

They don't make them anymore, but since they don't break you'll never notice that they don't have customer service ;)

CHS
07-14-2008, 9:07 AM
I'm not a huge fan of mossbergs. They use an aluminum receiver, and I've seen too many of the safeties fall off the guns. Seems like a weak design. Also, pretty much everyone I know has also seen the safety problem with mossbergs.

Here's my take on the 870:

Unpolished, unrefined, ALWAYS works, built like a tank. This is a gun that your grandchildren will pass down to their grandchildren.

A good friend of mine bought a benelli super nova for home defense, and has shot it a lot. He totally loves that gun. However, the first time he came out trap shooting with us, he borrowed my 870 due to the minimum barrel length req's for the range. He fell in love with the 870, and has since bought one. I have another friend who comes with us trap shooting who wasn't even a gun owner at all until about a month ago. For several months he borrowed pretty much every different gun that we had in our group of friends, and rented quite a few from the pro shop (Triple B's). He kept going back to the 870 as well, and is now a proud first-time gun owner with his 870.

My girlfriend has a 20ga 870 youth model and loves it.

You MIGHT go wrong with a mossberg, but then again you might not.
You WONT go wrong with an 870. Period.

Black Majik
07-14-2008, 9:30 AM
I 2nd above. I'm a huge 870 fan as well, if you look hard enough you can find a lightly used 870 Wingmaster or Police for around $450 - $500'ish. The express models work fine also, they'll shoot where you point just as well as the Wingmaster and Police models. If you can overlook the smoother pump gun of the WM/Police than the 870 will suit you fine. For around $500, you can pick up an express HD and a Surefire fore end. :)

t0kie
07-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Cool, great info, I'll check them out. Thanks guys.
________
Laguna Heights Condo (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Jamez
07-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Depends on which is more important to you. I just saw Moss 500's for about $279 in a Big 5 Sporting goods ad. Rem 870's are usualy in the 300-350 range but in my opinion is a better shotgun. Mossberg is cheaper, but Remington is better. Get Rem 870, i'm getting the 870 tactical for fun and the 870 mag express camo for hunting.

GenLee
07-14-2008, 11:35 AM

07-14-2008, 2:20 PM
+1 On the 870 for all of the same reasons listed above.

bigthaiboy
07-14-2008, 4:44 PM
[QUOTE=bdsmchs;1357665]I'm not a huge fan of mossbergs. They use an aluminum receiver, and I've seen too many of the safeties fall off the guns. Seems like a weak design. Also, pretty much everyone I know has also seen the safety problem with mossbergs.

Here's my take on the 870:

Unpolished, unrefined, ALWAYS works, built like a tank. This is a gun that your grandchildren will pass down to their grandchildren.

A good friend of mine bought a benelli super nova for home defense, and has shot it a lot. He totally loves that gun. However, the first time he came out trap shooting with us, he borrowed my 870 due to the minimum barrel length req's for the range. He fell in love with the 870, and has since bought one. I have another friend who comes with us trap shooting who wasn't even a gun owner at all until about a month ago. For several months he borrowed pretty much every different gun that we had in our group of friends, and rented quite a few from the pro shop (Triple B's). He kept going back to the 870 as well, and is now a proud first-time gun owner with his 870.

My girlfriend has a 20ga 870 youth model and loves it.

You MIGHT go wrong with a mossberg, but then again you might not.
You WONT go wrong with an 870. Period.

Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, a torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power buckshot. If it was good enough for the U.S, Army, it can't be all bad. The army eventually replaced the 500 with the 590A1, so get yourself a 590.

Saying any mechanical device will never go wrong requires you to live in a dream-like state. It's like claiming to have a car which will never develop a fault, or a lightbulb which will never blow. It's an impossible dream.

Ballistic043
07-14-2008, 5:15 PM
this debate will never end!

look, people have experiences both ways! some really bad with remington and good with mossberg, and the opposite. some people are going to go by military testing, or what particular LEO/military crowd uses the weapon, others on pure statistical breakdowns.

bottom line, if its a gun, it will break! there is no magical shotgun that will never malfunction. just like there is no car, no gun, no freakin flashlight that will not malfunction eventually. ask me how i know! i appreciate nice cars, HK pistols and surefire flashlights. ill be damned if they all havent at one point taken a crap on me!

just buy what you enjoy. there are features on both guns that i really appreciate individually so i dont think i could really choose one over the other

PorkLover
07-14-2008, 5:50 PM
don't want to debate just give my 2 cents...if you want a shotgun for home defense and something for trap...get the Big 5 special on the mossberg 500 combo, it goes for $249 and comes with two barrels, 18.5 and 28......If you can go as high as $500.00, Remington, not the express, but the wingmaster......I own both and love them!.....

sb_pete
07-14-2008, 6:59 PM
I personally prefer the Mossberg 500/590 series over the 870s. Three reasons:

1. The shell lifter rests in the down position on the 870. I am sure you get used to it, but I have pinched my thumb a few times loading them and it is not fun. This is not a prob with the 500/590 series as the lifter rests in the up position and does not need to be pushed up to insert a shell.

2. The tang safety position is slightly (SLIGHTY) preferable to me for no particular reason. This assumes you will not be using a pistol grip though. If so, the 870's cross-bolt safety is much easier to operate with a pistol grip installed.

3. I also prefer the slide release position on the Mossberg. It seems faster as I can operate it moving only my trigger finger. With the 870, I have to shift my grip. :shrug:

As to the plastic safety and trigger guard, these are known to be weakspots. The 590A1 is in your price range and has metal versions of both. The Big 5 Mossberg 500 combo with the two barrels is a great deal when it is $250.

Both guns are easy to work on. As I understand it, the 870 is easier to extend the mag capacity of. I have never felt the need, so I don't know.

I have no experience with the Benelli, I'm sure they are great.

here (http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/content_nonsub/shotguns/compare_870_590.html) is a random article of the 5 bazillion or so "500/590 VS 870" threads, discussions, and articles out there. You really can't go wrong with either.

Hope that helps,
-Pete

rg_1111@yahoo.com
07-14-2008, 7:30 PM
YUP!
This is a gun that your grandchildren will pass down to their grandchildren.
+1
Get a 870 Wingmaster will out last you. I have owned four.
Also more parts & Accessories than the others.

BroncoBob
07-14-2008, 9:09 PM
Remington 870

BlackRifle313
07-14-2008, 11:20 PM
A 870 will always shoot no matter what. And you can pick them up for a very good price. Great all around shotgun

chrisktn
07-15-2008, 4:41 AM
The Mossberg 500 Combo at Big5 for $249 seems to offer the best value and you get the two barrels for home defense and skeet/trap/hunt use.

You can also get the Remington 870, usually for a little more. If it were me, I'd get a 870 Wingmaster with wood furniture (only because I prefer wood for looks) and get a extra 18.5" barrel for home defense use if necessary. And maybe a magazine tube extension.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Just my 2 cents.

CrippledPidgeon
07-15-2008, 3:19 PM
A good friend of mine bought a benelli super nova for home defense, and has shot it a lot. He totally loves that gun. However, the first time he came out trap shooting with us, he borrowed my 870 due to the minimum barrel length req's for the range.

Although, the super nova is compatible with nova barrels, so he could technically just buy a new barrel and swap for trap shooting.

viras
07-15-2008, 3:39 PM
If you can find one, get a Valtro PM5 12GA Shotgun. ;) You won't find one new for that price, or at all really, but you might find a used one.

mike100
07-15-2008, 4:30 PM
I found a really super clean 25-30 year old wingmaster with a 30" barrel with a fixed full choke for $350 a few months ago- this thing was like new. It was smoother than any of my police model wm's too.

A couple or 3 years back, I got two like new wingmaster police models with 18" bbls for $290 each. They were from 1979/1980. One of them is used for sporting purposes with longer barrels and the cleaner of the two (unfired) is a safe queen.

I got a slightly customized 870 express HD that I have 1500 rounds through and that is often configured without the mag extension to make it less front heavy and a faster pointer for the house as well as shotgun side matches at certain pistol competitions...it's the beater of the group that I don't mind laying against a tree or the dirt.

I have a turkish huglu semi-auto I don't really shoot a lot any more, but it was my favorite at one time- works well, cost $339.

There are a couple of $1500 brownings in the safe also that get shot every week, but those don't count for the $500 limit.

The moral of the story is that the more sporting shotguns seem to get used more frequently- I'd look into a nice hunting gun on the consignment rack. $500 goes real far on used gun. A nice Benelli or Remington Wingmaster or 1100..whatever- You can still blast bad people with a long 28" barrel-it's just what do you do with an 18" barreled room broom the rest of the time? Get a sporting model with nice wood.

SteveH
07-15-2008, 6:30 PM
870 home security shotgun is on sale at Turners for $329 every couple months.

proraptor
07-15-2008, 6:41 PM
Go with a Mossberg 590A1....The remmy 870's are nice shotguns but they arent as reliable as the 590A1 in my experiences with both

BTW NYPD is switching over to 14 inch mossberg 590 A1s

Guntech
07-15-2008, 7:18 PM

Loner
07-15-2008, 9:23 PM
Winchester 1300 Defender