PDA

View Full Version : A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have suffic

five.five-six
07-13-2008, 10:59 PM
I do not know where I found this quote, but I have seen it many times repeated by many people, recently since Heller, I have had some gun-grabbers on other boards question it's authenticity. does anyone know if this is a genuine quote from George Washington?

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. ~George Washington

BillCA
07-13-2008, 11:15 PM
I can't say for sure, but I don't think so. I'd like to be proven wrong.

The inclusion of "ammunition" seems out of place for the period. They would usually just speak of "arms", which to them would obviously include the powder & ball to use them.

Saigon1965
07-13-2008, 11:18 PM
I've seen people using it in their sig lines. But don't know.

five.five-six
07-13-2008, 11:27 PM
well I just had my ars handed to me by an angry mean spirited gungrabber

Saigon1965
07-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Give us a link man, lets get the party started.

spsellars
07-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Not that he couldn't have stated your quote at a different time, but at first glance it appears to be taken and changed from the first State of the Union address

A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others, for essential, particularly for military supplies.

Link (http://www.earlyamerica.com/earlyamerica/firsts/sou/text.html)

Big O
07-14-2008, 1:41 AM
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. ~George Washington
-Check.

DrunkSkunk
07-14-2008, 1:43 AM
Just came in to see what this suffic I was supposed to have.

carry on.

grammaton76
07-14-2008, 4:02 PM
This is kinda like the Hitler quote about having full gun registration and an efficient police force, attributed to him in 1934. It's sad when you see pro-gun folks using quotes like that, because it's just an easy "AHA! Gotcha!" for an anti somewhere down the line.

24thMED
07-14-2008, 5:00 PM
Well this site seems to think he did...

http://www.famous-quote.net/george-washington-quotes.shtml

This guy used it in an article, surely he did some research first...

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/31390

And this one says he didn't say it but gives the original....

And yet another bogus Washington quote: from this site http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndbog.html

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government
The actual quote:

A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others, for essential, particularly for military supplies.
---George Washington's First Annual Message to Congress (January 8, 1790)

Another interesting site: http://www.saf.org/Quotes.html

spsellars
07-14-2008, 5:06 PM

The problem is that even though they give a source, no one can seem to find the actual text of said source.

(i.e. try to Google their listed source of "Speech of Jan. 7, 1790 in the Boston Independent Chronicle, Jan. 14, 1790." and all you'll get are sites using that as a source for that quote, not the actual speech itself.)

CSACANNONEER
07-14-2008, 5:08 PM
It must be true. I saw it on the internet!

Hey, where can I get some suffic?

spsellars
07-14-2008, 5:09 PM
Hey, where can I get some suffic?

If the Founding Fathers wanted us to have it, I'm sure it's been banned in this state, so you'll have to find your suffic on the black market.

Saigon1965
07-14-2008, 6:41 PM
Nevermind

five.five-six
07-14-2008, 9:39 PM

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government
The actual quote:

---George Washington's First Annual Message to Congress (January 8, 1790)

yea, that is what this guy was saying but there seems to be a lot of liberty to be taken with the first state of the union to get to the quote I was using... perhaps I need to stop by a library