PDA

View Full Version : CA trust for firearms ownership in state while I'm gone?

AJAX22
07-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Does anyone know the particulars regarding seting up a trust for NFA items and how that is affected by the primary member of the trust moving out of state?

I'd like to get some SBS's and AOW's but I won't have time to do it while I'm physically present in the state. (Most of you already know this, but I'm moving to NYC for a few years for school)

Can I set up a trust or LLC to purchase/hold/sell firearms in CA while I'm not living in CA?

Can a person act as an employee or agent of the trust/LLC to pickup/transport/store/ etc firearms without being a member of the trust?

Can I have the trust hold assets in other states (i.e. nevada or delaware or newhampshire or vermont) such as M.G's (if I wind up with lots of spare cash :rolleyes: ?)

Is a corporate entity subject to the same waiting periods/background checks as an individual? how does that work?

I've looked at a few of the other threads and I just haven't found the answers yet.

Any help in clarifying this stuff would be greatly appriciated.

DJMAN
07-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Ill shoot.... er ah hold them for you.:D:D

Had to say it.. I hope you find the info.

FEDUPWBS
07-13-2008, 10:38 PM
CALLING OAKLANDER???

AJAX22
07-13-2008, 10:45 PM
I know I need to call him up and ask/pay him for getting this done right (I'm not going to set myself or my family up to be an accidental felons)

I just want to get my head straight on the subject so I can start making plans.

Saigon1965
07-13-2008, 11:00 PM
You best get a move on then, time running out. Good luck man.

oaklander
07-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Give me a day or two, and I will have your answers. . .

:)

Does anyone know the particulars regarding seting up a trust for NFA items and how that is affected by the primary member of the trust moving out of state?

I'd like to get some SBS's and AOW's but I won't have time to do it while I'm physically present in the state. (Most of you already know this, but I'm moving to NYC for a few years for school)

Can I set up a trust or LLC to purchase/hold/sell firearms in CA while I'm not living in CA?

Can a person act as an employee or agent of the trust/LLC to pickup/transport/store/ etc firearms without being a member of the trust?

Can I have the trust hold assets in other states (i.e. nevada or delaware or newhampshire or vermont) such as M.G's (if I wind up with lots of spare cash :rolleyes: ?)

Is a corporate entity subject to the same waiting periods/background checks as an individual? how does that work?

I've looked at a few of the other threads and I just haven't found the answers yet.

Any help in clarifying this stuff would be greatly appriciated.

AJAX22
07-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks Oaklander,

I'll stockpile a few more C&R shotguns in the hope that it can happen.

Another question I have with regards to the trust,

Can a member of the trust transfer large capacity magazines to the trust as an asset to be managed?

can other members of the trust use/store etc those assets?

I don't recall the law prohibiting the import/manufacture/transfer of magazines applying to members of a trust sharing a commonly held asset.

For that matter I don't recall the law being written in such a way that it would apply to legal entities at all.... It says 'person' not corporation, trust, or entity..... so... ???? is that a loophole that allows a family to retain large capacity magazines after the primary owner dies? I'd like to pass my collection on someday...

AJAX22
07-15-2008, 12:40 PM
I picked up a new C&R 870 just incase this works out....

fingers crossed for luck....

oaklander
07-16-2008, 9:05 PM
PM sent.

Give me a day or two, and I will have your answers. . .

:)