PDA

View Full Version : 5.45x39 in HD use

send it_hit
08-24-2015, 3:14 PM
I've used either 55gr XM193 or heavier grain HP like Hornady or Winchester for home defense for awhile. I'm aware that these options have less potential for over-penetration, compared to things like 9mm or 12ga.

With that said, for various reasons I am thinking of moving to a 5.45 rifle for HD. Ballistically, I know they shoot very similarly to 5.56, and are in the same ballpark with grain and muzzle velocity. Does anyone have any input on 5.45 use in HD? I'm obviously not going to be using 7n6, most likely will be Hornady 60gr V-MAX. Anecdotes are appreciated, opinions also welcome :D

81turbota
08-24-2015, 3:16 PM
Why not 7n6? It's not called the "poison bullet" for nothing.
If you haven't already, watch the ballistic gel test of 7n6. I bought an AK74 shortly after watching it.

Tacit Blue
08-24-2015, 3:22 PM
Inside I'd much rather use my Springfield XD9 for the average intruder or thief. I can change mags without a absurd mag lock and it's more maneuverable.

I'm confident 147 grain 9mm Gold Speer Dot will work fine.

I mean unless your expecting guys with SAPI plates and body armor, I don't see the need to grab a AK-74/47 as my first choice. In that case goto work :)

FiveSeven
08-24-2015, 3:43 PM
Why not? It works really good for this guy.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1105433

send it_hit
08-24-2015, 4:21 PM
Why not 7n6? It's not called the "poison bullet" for nothing.
If you haven't already, watch the ballistic gel test of 7n6. I bought an AK74 shortly after watching it.

I know 7n6 is an effective round. However, something designed for better penetration is exactly what I'm avoiding.

send it_hit
08-24-2015, 4:23 PM
Inside I'd much rather use my Springfield XD9 for the average intruder or thief. I can change mags without a absurd mag lock and it's more maneuverable.

I'm confident 147 grain 9mm Gold Speer Dot will work fine.

I mean unless your expecting guys with SAPI plates and body armor, I don't see the need to grab a AK-74/47 as my first choice. In that case goto work :)

Fair argument, I do have a Glock 17 at the ready as well. In all honesty, that is often my first choice, but again, the penetration is the issue at hand... Lots of tests show 9mm far over penetrates compared to 5.56, which is why I'm starting to prefer the AR/AK (ideally in pistol form).

The lock concern is valid, there's ways around that though (IE featureless).

JWHuey
08-24-2015, 4:23 PM
I think Hornady 60gr is really the only option for 5.45 for HD.

KIDRR
08-24-2015, 6:08 PM
5.45 has the craziest penetration I've seen. Right through a good size tree in this video

http://youtu.be/547BKysByqM

Cadre
08-24-2015, 6:37 PM
Why not? It works really good for this guy.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1105433

lol forgot about this thread.

fritztkatt
08-24-2015, 7:20 PM
Have you considered the practicality of it? Switching to a different gun/ammo (although you may already have it), maneuverability compared to a pistol, terminal effects (greater than pistol, but what's wrong with 5.56?)...

Hearing damage. I know it's the least of your concerns when you have to defend yourself, but I was getting jumpy today on the range. M855 was piercing my ear pro today... just nasty noise and concussion. I wear muffs and plugs indoors and it's still loud as hell. I've shot a 45acp with no ear pro inside before (gotta know where the line is, just once, dumb... I know) and it rang my bell pretty good. Fairly disorienting. When I tested my 9bple for the g19 at pala on saturday, it was piercing through plugs as well, that stuff is HOT. Typical .223, 9mm and 45 target loads are quite tame with these plugs.

I personally recommend a handgun that's proven reliable with a proven jhp, equipped with night sights and a light producing 100-150lm. 9, 40, 10, 45, the BG won't notice the difference... second line being a 12ga pump with a short stock, shorter barrel, using flight control (I like the vital shock flavor, 1600fps!, it kicks like a mule) #1 or 00, light and red dot. If you need to access a rifle for HD, you're no longer going to care about over penetration or anything but putting rounds on target.

Also, 7n6 should not penetrate a SAPI... they're rated for 7.62 nato AP last I looked at one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 7n6 is basically a Russian m855...