PDA

View Full Version : CRITICAL TIME QUESTION: 30 day rule

Sobriquet
07-12-2008, 8:02 AM
I picked up a handgun via an intrafamilial transfer (it was DROS'd properly) less than 30 days ago.

There's a handgun right now up for private party sale that I'm very interested in purchasing. It's out of state and will have to go through an FFL.

Can I buy the handgun and have it sent to my FFL even though the 30 days haven't ended - provided I don't start the 10 day wait until after the 30 days is up?

Thanks very much and I appreciate any quick responses. This won't hang round for long. Thanks!!

pdq_wizzard
07-12-2008, 8:09 AM
I picked up a handgun via an intrafamilial transfer (it was DROS'd properly) less than 30 days ago.

There's a handgun right now up for private party sale that I'm very interested in purchasing. It's out of state and will have to go through an FFL.

Can I buy the handgun and have it sent to my FFL even though the 30 days haven't ended - provided I don't start the 10 day wait until after the 30 days is up?

Thanks very much and I appreciate any quick responses. This won't hang round for long. Thanks!!

I believe the 30 day handgun wait is for new handguns

sammy
07-12-2008, 8:15 AM
You are good to go. Buy as many by PPT as you like.

afnola
07-12-2008, 8:19 AM
I believe the 30 day handgun wait is for new handguns

I believe it is for FFL transfers regardless of if its new or used. By FFL transfers I mean a FFL is selling the gun to you, not a private individual.

That or I just got screwed when I bought a Sig p6 (obviously used) from Budsgunshop.com

tonelar
07-12-2008, 8:19 AM
To answer Sobriquet's question; As your Intra-familial was not done as a PPT (with you and your mom BOTH being present at the ffl) it might count as your 1 gun per 30 day DROS.
On the brighter side; you can pay for AND your ffl can receive more than one gun per 30 days. You are limited to filing the DROS once per thirty days. Just make sure (as a courtesy) that your dealer knows you won't be in "right away" to start your paperwork.

*Some cities/ counties disallow the exemption for consignment / private party handgun purchases.
I've heard that LA applies the 1 per 30 rule to PPT and Consignment as well.

liketoshoot
07-12-2008, 8:22 AM
you can have it shiped to the FFL, but don't start the paperwork till your 30 is up.
I believe that is the way it is. I have bought 3 new ones and had the FFL hold them till I cleared the 30 on each.
good luck

gd-bh
07-12-2008, 8:30 AM
Let me go out on a limb here, as I believe these laws are purposely confusing to make it harder for normal people to purchase guns. From what I've learned from a lot of reading on this subject here on this site, this is the way the 30 day thing works (ignorant yes, but we have to live within the law):

If the handgun is coming from dealer "stock", you are limited to dros-ing one every 30 24 hour periods. What makes it dealer "stock"? If the dealer has to put it into his FFL records. So, obviously a brand new gun will be stock. BUT, so will any used ones that are being sold under the dealers business umbrella. That would include any out of state imports, whether he's directly ordered them, or a customer has had the handgun transferred to him from another FFL to remain within federal law and those will be recorded as transfers in his FFL book.

Private party, person-to-person transactions within the state (the only ones that are legal as inter state requires the FFL to FFL transfer) have no buying limitations other than the 10 day hold. Your inter-family transfer (provided it's a true, up or down family line) is also person-to-person, thus not subject to the 1 in 30 b.s..

So from what I think I've learned from the collective wisdom at this site, I'd say you should be good to g.

pdq_wizzard
07-12-2008, 8:35 AM
Let me go out on a limb here, as I believe these laws are purposely confusing to make it harder for normal people to purchase guns. From what I've learned from a lot of reading on this subject here on this site, this is the way the 30 day thing works (ignorant yes, but we have to live within the law):

If the handgun is coming from dealer "stock", you are limited to dros-ing one every 30 24 hour periods. What makes it dealer "stock"? If the dealer has to put it into his FFL records. So, obviously a brand new gun will be stock. BUT, so will any used ones that are being sold under the dealers business umbrella. That would include any out of state imports, whether he's directly ordered them, or a customer has had the handgun transferred to him from another FFL to remain within federal law and those will be recorded as transfers in his FFL book.

Private party, person-to-person transactions within the state (the only ones that are legal as inter state requires the FFL to FFL transfer) have no buying limitations other than the 10 day hold. Your inter-family transfer (provided it's a true, up or down family line) is also person-to-person, thus not subject to the 1 in 30 b.s..

So from what I think I've learned from the collective wisdom at this site, I'd say you should be good to g.

That makes since, the handgun I bought was on consignment at a shop and they told me I could add another handgun to the same dros and pick them both up at the same time….

Sobriquet
07-12-2008, 8:37 AM
Much appreciated, thanks gentlemen!

tonelar
07-12-2008, 2:58 PM
His intra familial was not a face to face / Private Party as it came from out of state, though. The dealer had to receive it and then DROS it.
I know consignment guns aren't affected normally... however don't ffls enter these into their logs as well?
Watch your advice, Sobriquet.