ive probably put 400-500 rnds through it
anyone have any suggestions?
Im hoping to avoid sending it to taurus

sorensen440
07-12-2008, 6:38 AM
btt

Gregchico
07-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Sorry to say I'm not sure what your are referring to when you say center pin.

I can say that my wife's 605 would jam up every now and then because the cylinder release lever screw would come loose. A little loctite on the screw and the problem was solved. The revolver has been 100% since.

gotgunz
07-12-2008, 4:17 PM
Marked for posterity as I carry one of these frequently.

Mine has only about 75 rounds throught it though and no issues as of yet.

Awaiting outcome from OP.

sorensen440
07-12-2008, 6:53 PM
The cylinder pin is the pin in the center cylinder that pushes a little button when you close the cylinder
sometimes the pin doesnt pop out and when that happens the gun jams up

heres a diagram key number 4

sorensen440
07-13-2008, 12:25 PM
btt

ojisan
07-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Thinkng it is like a S&W or Ruger inside, the pin is pushed rearward by a spring inside the crane center tube that the cylinder spins on. Is the spring weak, or possibly mis-installed so it binds? Not much clearance for the moving parts in this area so everything has to fit just right. Also be sure the ejector rod is not bent...even a slight amount will cause this probelm.
Too bad you are not closer...

walter
07-13-2008, 3:53 PM
imo a revolver that isnt reliable has got to go.

ojisan
07-13-2008, 4:46 PM

It needs to go to my house cheap! ;)

fairfaxjim
07-13-2008, 9:06 PM
Are you sure that it is the pin that is hanging up? The actual lock that prevents the trigger/hammer from operating is the cylinder release mechanism. When the pin snaps into the frame (providing that it is not hanging up), it presses the cylinder release rearward and unlocks the hammer/trigger. You can operate the gun with the cylinder open if you hold the cylinder release back against it's spring. The center pin has a very strong spring, but if something were burred or binding under the cylinder release knob, it might cause that problem. Have you removed the cylinder release knob? Is it free and smooth when it operates.

Just grasping for ideas here.

sorensen440
07-13-2008, 9:13 PM
Are you sure that it is the pin that is hanging up? The actual lock that prevents the trigger/hammer from operating is the cylinder release mechanism. When the pin snaps into the frame (providing that it is not hanging up), it presses the cylinder release rearward and unlocks the hammer/trigger. You can operate the gun with the cylinder open if you hold the cylinder release back against it's spring. The center pin has a very strong spring, but if something were burred or binding under the cylinder release knob, it might cause that problem. Have you removed the cylinder release knob? Is it free and smooth when it operates.

Just grasping for ideas here.

Yeah its actually that pin because most of the time it happens its still stuck in
I took it all apart and there doesnt apear to be any burs on the pin and the spring doesnt apear to have any problems
could be weak I suppose

sorensen440
07-13-2008, 9:15 PM
Thinkng it is like a S&W or Ruger inside, the pin is pushed rearward by a spring inside the crane center tube that the cylinder spins on. Is the spring weak, or possibly mis-installed so it binds? Not much clearance for the moving parts in this area so everything has to fit just right. Also be sure the ejector rod is not bent...even a slight amount will cause this probelm.
Too bad you are not closer...
Im leaning towards it being a weak spring as you suggested
nothing mis-installed
I will take a look at the ejector rod and see if its bent at all I hadnt noticed it when I had it apart

sorensen440
07-13-2008, 9:21 PM

nah just has to be made reliable
I wont trust my life to it till I can put 300 rnds through without failure
besides what could I get for a unreliable revolver
theses things aren't exactly pricey

sorensen440
07-13-2008, 9:25 PM
You shouldn't be surprised you are having trouble with it. It's a Taurus the english translationn is JUNK. There are way too many threads on here telling people what a load of crap Taurus is.

Sorry to be so blunt but dems de facts.

Im not surprised
also I have had trouble and seen trouble with glocks,springfields,remingtons, and many others
this is by no means a impossible repair and its a great gun other then that
I was just hoping to find somone that had this problem and new what the fix was
(sounds like its not too common a problem)

ojisan
07-13-2008, 9:39 PM
also I have had trouble and seen trouble with glocks,springfields,remingtons, and many others. this is by no means a impossible repair and its a great gun other then that

Exactly! My experience too! Just about everything neeeds a little tinkering.

Gregchico
07-15-2008, 9:08 AM
Exactly! My experience too! Just about everything neeeds a little tinkering.

I agree, after the loctite, the gun has been 100%. It is my wife's favorite gun and the one she WANTS to carry with here everywhere.

sorensen440
07-15-2008, 5:47 PM
well I think I will send im going to have to send it off to taurus
I was under the impression before that I would have to send it to taurus in brazil but reading there site it only has to go to florida
I dont see anything visible on the center pin to show that its bent and its not the spring ( I stretched it out a bit and it still sticks)
so Im assuming there may be a bur inside

ojisan
07-15-2008, 8:25 PM
Another waiting period....Aaaaargh! Oh well... let us know how it turns out.

sorensen440
07-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Another waiting period....Aaaaargh! Oh well... let us know how it turns out.

any idea how long I should have to wait to get my gun back ?
anyone ever deal with taurus ? I know it has to ship two day so shipping time wont be much

Gregchico
07-16-2008, 6:59 AM
When I sent my 627 (6 inch .357) back for work, it took almost 3 months (this was a few years ago). I remember being mad that it sat so long, then when I did get it back, the "diagnosis" was that I needed to clean it better. I was offended, but happy to have my gun back (I take good care of my guns, and I do shoot them alot).
Before somebody says Taurus is trash again, I have had to send back 2 Kimbers (both 1911s, then promptly sold them) and 2 S&Ws (500 and M&P) also (granted both of them paid for shipping both ways) and 1 H&K (USPc45).

tiko
07-16-2008, 8:52 PM
It happened to my 605B before, I had to remove the pin and spring, polished the pin (dremel), oil and put them back, they work again, notice it is a little bit tight between the pin and the pin holder/socket.

tonelar
07-17-2008, 12:01 AM
is this taurus one you bought new or used? with the cylinder swung out, give it a spin and watch the fwd end; it should spin without any oscillation.

maybe a more detailed cleaning of the pin's bore is in order- some greases harden up over time.

I've seen where a slight bend in the assembly, causes the pin to not move freely. This is often caused by careless owners slamming their loaded cylinders in.

sorensen440
07-17-2008, 5:32 PM
is this taurus one you bought new or used? with the cylinder swung out, give it a spin and watch the fwd end; it should spin without any oscillation.

maybe a more detailed cleaning of the pin's bore is in order- some greases harden up over time.

I've seen where a slight bend in the assembly, causes the pin to not move freely. This is often caused by careless owners slamming their loaded cylinders in.

I bought this one new about a year and a half ago
Its in taurus's hands now but the the cylinder spun with no oscillation or resistance
I tore it apart cleaned and inspected and theres no dry grease in there
it will be at Taurus in FL tomorrow morning so well see what they have to say about it

sorensen440
07-28-2008, 6:21 PM
Just got a letter from taurus informing me that they have received my gun and that I can expect 5-6 weeks for processing :(

maxicon
07-29-2008, 11:16 AM
This is probably the single biggest gripe about Taurus' service. They mostly take care of problems, but they can take a long time doing it.

This is why I don't recommend them for a primary pistol, but don't mind them when you've got other stuff to fill the gap while it's out. A few months of one of my Taurii being gone wouldn't affect my shooting habits at all.

sorensen440
08-04-2008, 4:07 PM
This is probably the single biggest gripe about Taurus' service. They mostly take care of problems, but they can take a long time doing it.

This is why I don't recommend them for a primary pistol, but don't mind them when you've got other stuff to fill the gap while it's out. A few months of one of my Taurii being gone wouldn't affect my shooting habits at all.

Im noticing also this being the biggest gripe

I have a few other pistols but this was my knockaround gun (I did keep it clean and lubed) I would toss it in the backpack if I was going fishing or whatever

sorensen440
08-21-2008, 7:39 AM
well I just got it back
they repaired it and covered the return shipping (Im really happy about that )

jazman
08-21-2008, 9:00 AM
Good news and good service. What was wrong with it?

WokMaster1
08-21-2008, 9:09 AM

I bet the letter says it needs to be cleaned better. Seems to be a standard answer from Taurus.:(

sorensen440
08-21-2008, 10:17 AM

I think they replaced the pin and spring

sorensen440
08-21-2008, 10:18 AM
I bet the letter says it needs to be cleaned better. Seems to be a standard answer from Taurus.:(

Nah they couldn't say that I keep my guns emaculate

ojisan
08-21-2008, 4:47 PM
Glad to hear it's fixed and that you got it back!
Usually a MFG will not admit to a particular problem or correction...they stay very vague on purpose...CYA.

Time to get it dirty so you can clean it again! : ))

sorensen440
08-21-2008, 5:03 PM
Glad to hear it's fixed and that you got it back!
Usually a MFG will not admit to a particular problem or correction...they stay very vague on purpose...CYA.

Time to get it dirty so you can clean it again! : ))

yeah they listed it like this

Pin -Adjusted
Spring - Adjusted
Cylinder - Adjusted

At least they fixed it and shipped it back on there dime
all in all I'm back to liking taurus again

ojisan
08-21-2008, 5:11 PM
Taurus replaced a cracked lock block from a PT99 for me. The original had square cut corners at the base of the "wings"...guaranteed to crack and break there...it did. When I called Taurus for a replacement, I asked if they had updated to a radius cut at the wing bases to avoid the stress riser the square cut causes. They didn't answer, told me just to send the old one back to get a new one for free (get's the evidence out of my hands, too!). The new one came promptly...suprise, suprise, radius cuts at the wing bases. I am sure I was not the first to tell them this...but they admit to nothing. Fixed for free with improved parts is OK with me.