PDA

View Full Version : Wish we could get something similar going here..

leitung
07-11-2008, 10:32 PM
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=4089

Hopefully this will pass.. Kick em right in the nuts.. And hopefully set the tone for future battles..

Harrison_Bergeron
07-11-2008, 10:40 PM
It would also reduce the District's burdensome restrictions on ammunition,

Sounds useful.

dfletcher
07-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Side issue. Couldn't Congress modify the GCA of 68 to allow DC residents to buy in VA, MD, PA - any state that it borders? I have to believe DC is going to use the lack (or scarcity) of FFLs in DC to deny access to firearms. It seems to me some narrowly drafted revision could be inserted.

leitung
07-11-2008, 10:46 PM
I wish we could elminate the GCA of 1968..

It's what prevents me from buying handguns from an FFL under 21... Stupid..

jamesob
07-11-2008, 11:05 PM
since dc residents dont reside in a state couldn't they technicly claim residence in another state? or somthing like that.

DesertGunner
07-12-2008, 7:12 AM
I wish we could elminate the GCA of 1968..

It's what prevents me from buying handguns from an FFL under 21... Stupid..

I think no handguns to under 21yos will be upheld as "reasonable".

glockman19
07-12-2008, 7:13 AM
I just got the e-mail from the NRA too. YES wish CA could get teh senate to "Incorporate" the 2nd this way everywhere in the US.

PatriotnMore
07-12-2008, 7:15 AM
Good stuff, glad to see positive movement post heller. I also agree that no hanguns under 21 will probably be upheld.

Harrison_Bergeron
07-12-2008, 2:10 PM
What is the rationale behind the 21 laws, what is the importance of 18, if you can be charged as an adult before, and you don't get full rights until after?

RobG
07-12-2008, 2:22 PM

If so then maybe the minimum age to join the military should be 21. Wheres the rationale behind the number 21? Were there studies done to conclude this as being the appropriate age at which one can buy a handgun?
Its only "reasonable" to those 21 or over. I am 20 years beyond that and find it unreasonable myself.

Mssr. Eleganté
07-12-2008, 3:15 PM
since dc residents dont reside in a state couldn't they technicly claim residence in another state? or somthing like that.

For the purposes of the 1968 Gun Control Act, Washington DC is considered a State.

The term "State" includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the Canal Zone).

But like I mentioned in another thread, the DC's foot dragging here could very well lead to legislation modifying the GCA so that people can buy handguns at an FFL in any State.

Now that background checks are computerized and can be based on the FBI's national system, there is no real reason to restrict handgun sales to your home State.

aileron
07-12-2008, 5:52 PM
If so then maybe the minimum age to join the military should be 21. Wheres the rationale behind the number 21? Were there studies done to conclude this as being the appropriate age at which one can buy a handgun?
Its only "reasonable" to those 21 or over. I am 20 years beyond that and find it unreasonable myself.

SWAG says because. A. They cant think on their own as politicians, so the herd mentality reins supreme so they look to priors and because of that. B. The drinking age.

cbn620
07-12-2008, 6:44 PM

It probably will be, but I don't consider it reasonable. Some of the arguments made were about who "the militia" is and what weapons are in "common use". The militia is apparently all males of military age, and weapons in common use could be argued to be weapons used in the military. If you can join the military at 18 and use these weapons, it could be argued you are capable of using them at military age and are therefore capable of using them regardless of being in the military since you are already a member of "the militia".

artherd
07-12-2008, 10:09 PM

It wasn't for the purpose of voting.

CCWFacts
07-13-2008, 12:29 AM
A couple of very important things to note here:

They are getting a discharge petition. This is the only way to get pro-gun legislation past Speaker Pelosi at this point. Whenever you write to your rep regarding any pro-gun legislation at the national level, make sure to ask for a discharge petition. Discharge petitions are great because it is a humiliation to Speaker Pelosi. And if she is humiliated by gun owners, that makes me happy.
If they're ramming this through, against the wishes of the city, and against the anti-gun Democratic leadership, why didn't they attach a shall-issue provision?? Hello?

M. Sage
07-13-2008, 8:46 AM

Don't forget the age to vote, or enter into contracts... An adult is an adult, I've never understood the 21 drinking age or 21 to buy a handgun BS.