PDA

View Full Version : new to calguns and the AR 15 community.

Gr1m310
07-11-2008, 9:51 PM
I wanted to know how and what i need to do in building my own AR 15. I want to stay within california laws.. I have no idea as far as parts and what not. is there a source where they show you how to put one together? Just need to know what parts to buy. im a total noob at this. :confused:

gunsmith
07-11-2008, 9:56 PM
you could probably buy one here, then learn to build your next one.

69Mach1
07-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the forum.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818
Everything you need to know.

Hopi
07-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

Check the picture threads in the Rifles Gallery. Then read the AW flowchart. Get to know the laws very well. Have fun!

Josh3239
07-11-2008, 10:03 PM
I would strongly suggest you learn and memorize the laws before you build anything. There are 2 great reasons to do it this way 1) you won't build an illegal rifle 2) You'll be able to properly defend yourself if accused of possessing/manufactering an illegal rifle if it is in fact legal.

Also, if your a "noob" you should buy a complete upper, I wouldn't suggest putting one together yourself. You can also buy a complete lower or build one, their is a guide on AR15.com

Gr1m310
07-11-2008, 10:04 PM
cool. thank you guys for replying to this thread. I will look into the parts and stuff... but the problem is, since this will be the first time ever dealing with this particular rifle i have no clue about the parts and what to get. never put one together ya know. so is it best that i buy one first then get to know the parts then put my next one together? whats your opinion?

gunsmith
07-11-2008, 10:10 PM
it would be more fun to build your own, but easier to just buy your 1st.
in my opinion.

Gr1m310
07-11-2008, 10:18 PM
yeah it seems like i should buy my first one. any suggestions as to where i could buy my first one? california legal of course. Also, is there someplace here in southern california that allows you to shoot the rifle?

gunsmith
07-12-2008, 9:39 PM
as for where to shoot? look up rifle ranges or shooting ranges in the phone book.
Or go out to a National Forest.

JRG
07-13-2008, 1:17 PM
I just built my first one for my daughter and it is very nice. Like others said, read the laws first. Most notably would be, to buy a stripped lower reciever, then make sure the very first piece you install on it is a "Bullet Button or other device that will make it a "Fixed Magazine" weapon. If you add any other parts first like the pistol grip, retracting stock, etc, you have most likely broken CA law. You can not have a fully assembled lower shipped into CA for the same reason.

I have also seen some premade CA legal AR's (with bullet buttons) for sale at various gun shows for anywhere between $1k-2k depending on brand, features, etc.

After the lower, do some research for the type of shooting you want to do with it, then purchase the appropriate upper reciever with the desired barrel twist (from 1/7 to 1/12) and length. Note however, that shorter barrels will have to have a permanently attached barrel accessory to bring to to the proper length (16"?). Then there are many other choices of parts, brands, etc...

There is a lot to it and definately worth some serious research before starting out, but by building your own you will end up with a rifle that matches your desired purpose.

Josh3239
07-13-2008, 2:05 PM
...make sure the very first piece you install on it is a "Bullet Button or other device that will make it a "Fixed Magazine" weapon. If you add any other parts first like the pistol grip, retracting stock, etc, you have most likely broken CA law. You can not have a fully assembled lower shipped into CA for the same reason.

This is not true. You can have a complete lower imported into CA, a lower receiver without an upper is not a semi-automic, centerfire rifle thus a pistol grip or a collapsible stock is legal. If you then attach an upper you will have manufactured and possessed an illegal AW.

rayd7
07-13-2008, 7:14 PM
Welcome to calguns . I am also anoob to this site. I find it entertaining. I built 2 ar 15s california compliant. That was about a year ago. If you are mechanically inclined and research the califonia law pertaining to the ol ar 15 go for it .

gunsmith
07-14-2008, 11:38 AM
http://www.dsarms.com/products.asp?dept=39