PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Brake Suggestions for LMT MWS

Gauss
08-15-2015, 2:03 PM
I have a very nice LMT MWS AR10 with a 16 inch barrel.

Unfortunately its more or less a safe queen as its fairly unpleasant to shoot due to a big concussive blast while firing. I have the stock A2 flash hider on the gun but was wondering if swapping to a muzzle brake would make this more enjoyable to shoot. I was hoping the forum would have some insight and suggestions as to which brake might do the trick for me (I am not price sensitive).

Thanks in advance!

Junkie
08-15-2015, 2:26 PM
Muzzle brakes are typically significantly more obnoxious than flash hiders. I'd consider a linear compensator, they throw most of the sound/concussion forward.

Gauss
08-15-2015, 3:07 PM
I thought they were more obnoxious to your neighbors but friendly to the shooter.

PachecoFTW
08-15-2015, 9:09 PM
Meh, compensators are intimidating to shooting nieghbors and do make your firearm louder, I just shot my PWS Modern musket wich has A 14.5 barrel and welded FSC556 oh man it has almost no recoil and i had great follow up shots with my aimpoint, but loud.

for brakes I suggest a FSC from PWS, BrakeOut from AAC, and what ever else others reccomend.

Dhena81
08-15-2015, 9:16 PM
You should sell the MWS and get a 22lr :D

A brake or a hybrid brake is going to be significantly more obnoxious than an A2. As an owner of a Scar 17 it has a 30 cal PWS and that thing is extremely obnoxious it makes a 5.56 with a PWS seem like a 22 on steroids :D. I shot some rifles indoors for the first time a few weeks ago and the 17 was almost teeth rattling obnoxious.

Maybe a Noveske flaming pig Troy Claymore or something similar.

Tovarish
08-15-2015, 9:18 PM
Read LMT as "licensed marriage therapist" and wondered why yours would need a muzzle brake :confused:

AreWeFree
08-15-2015, 9:31 PM
Where do you shoot? Is it indoors or outdoors? Concrete walls reflecting the noise back to you? What ear protection do you use, cheap foam plugs?

You have an a2 style flash hider and nothing short of a suppressor will reduce the concussive blast or noise.

An outdoor range + good hearing protection will solve your current problem.

ceehawkx707
08-15-2015, 9:47 PM
I put a JP Enterprise 30cal muzzle break on my LR308 and couldn't be happier. It might suck a bit for people next to me but it is a gun range and i try to start off by myself. My .02

timbo399
08-16-2015, 2:53 AM
If I had LMT MWS I'd put brake on it. Had a REPR and no the recoil wasn't bad at all , .308 not too bad even w 16" barrel, it's tracking my shots to their target that annoyed me. I don't have spotter and would jump just enough to not see shot through. I've heard good things about PWS PRC. Zero muzzle rise on bipod.

Getting a PWS MK216 .308 and don't want to load the bipod cause not free floating barrel so read long post in Snyperhyde about guys switching to PWS PRC brakes to deal w this w their PWS .308s.

kidder1147
08-16-2015, 11:03 AM
I put a Krieg Machining brake on my AR. It does make it louder, but also took away almost all recoil, not that an AR has a lot to start with. I was so impressed, I bought a second one for my wifes. She really appreciated it since she is a little more sensitive to recoil. I spoke with the owner and he told me that the brake really start to show their worth when you put them on an AK or AR10. Here's a link with some good vids to show the difference. http://www.kriegmachining.com/

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

rojocorsa
08-16-2015, 11:15 AM
I have the Surefire brake on mine. I like it.