PDA

View Full Version : Initial Handgun Cleaning

lateknightucd
07-11-2008, 8:11 PM
Hey all! So I'm picking up my XD40 tomorrow and I wanted to know about cleaning the gun before shooting it the first time. Doing some searching here on the forum it appears that cleaning the gun before shooting is a good plan, my question is how thorough? I have some Break Free CLP and a Bore Snake that will go with me to get the gun, should I just spray some down the barrel, let it sit then run the snake through? Field strip it and spray the barrel and slide and wipe them both down? Something more thorough? Thanks all, I appreciate all the help up till now!

heycorey
07-11-2008, 8:20 PM
There is no need to clean a brand new handgun; certainly not an XD. You can put several hundred rounds through that thing before worrying about cleaning it. I've put about 1000 rounds through my XD45-Service since buying it a few months ago and I'm just starting to think about cleaning it.

lateknightucd
07-11-2008, 8:32 PM
I just know that a lot of folks have said that some new guns come with a lot of crap on them and that they could benefit from a cleaning prior to use.

sammy
07-11-2008, 8:35 PM
Clean it if it makes you feel better. It's an excuse to get to know it and it can't hurt. Just go easy on the lube. A little goes a long way! Enjoy.

Black Majik
07-11-2008, 8:36 PM
Buy some solvent along with some patches.

Break it down, run a solvent soaked patch down the bore. Run dry patches to clean.

Clean off any packing grease that may be present. Oil the slide rails, barrel lug, barrel, and the inside of the slide where the barrel contact. Keep the inside of the barrel, and the breechface dry.

The disassembly instructions will be in the owners manual. Good luck and congratulations

heycorey
07-11-2008, 8:39 PM
I just know that a lot of folks have said that some new guns come with a lot of crap on them and that they could benefit from a cleaning prior to use.

Don't let me dissuade you from giving it a once-over. Give it a visual check. If it looks like it needs a good wipe-down, maybe even a couple of patches through the barrel ... go for it. I'm just saying you shouldn't worry about completely stripping it down and giving it a thorough cleaning. If it was packed in cosmoline, that'd be a different story.

And rereading some new comments ... like sammy says, "It's an excuse to get to know it and it can't hurt."

bohoki
07-11-2008, 8:46 PM
i'd make sure the bore was free of dust at minimum

oghl888
07-11-2008, 8:55 PM
A handgun is a machine. Getting to know it well and taking care of it from the get go will help ensure a long and happy service life. The manual should have some cleaning and lubrication instructions.

rayra
07-12-2008, 12:09 AM
No need to be obsessive about it, but give it a once over to ensure there is no grit or debris in the action, lube it up a little bit, wipe the bore and have at it.

Moonclip
07-12-2008, 1:43 AM
There is no need to clean a brand new handgun; certainly not an XD. You can put several hundred rounds through that thing before worrying about cleaning it. I've put about 1000 rounds through my XD45-Service since buying it a few months ago and I'm just starting to think about cleaning it.

This is kind of FUD in the quote but it depends on the gun. The oil or grease used to ship the gun sometimes is more of a preservative against rust than a good gun lube. And a new gun should surely be checked and cleaned in the chamber and bore for excess oil or grease and such.

I've seen even new guns from overseas so packed with cosmoline and oil you would surely have to clean it first.