PDA

View Full Version : HD - Laser sight, taclight, or combo?

-me
07-11-2008, 5:48 PM
For HD I have a Sig 229 dak, and am thinking I "need" a taclight/laser combo for it.

Keeping in mind this is for HD what would you recommend?

If I go with the combo, so far I like the Insight M-6x but I don't know what else is out there.

civilsnake
07-11-2008, 6:53 PM
This is my first post here, so take that for what it's worth, but my take is this:

For home defense purposes, I think a light is a terrible idea, especially if it's fixed to your gun. You would only use the light in the dark, and if someone's trying to break in, he's going to know exactly where to aim if he's armed because you're lit up like a beacon.

In your home you have the advantage of knowing your way around better than the intruder, so you have the upper hand in the dark.

I personally don't like lasers because they are also a giveaway. I would rather just practice a lot and not worry about a dot.

Slayer
07-11-2008, 7:01 PM
Light is a great idea for your HD handgun. I have a Streamlight TLR-1, has momentary and steady on/off switch. You do have the advantage of knowing your way around your house, but in complete darkness you're going to need illumination.

-me
07-11-2008, 8:22 PM
This is my first post here, so take that for what it's worth, but my take is this:

For home defense purposes, I think a light is a terrible idea, ... because you're lit up like a beacon.

I personally don't like lasers because they are also a giveaway. I would rather just practice a lot and not worry about a dot.

Thanks for the input, I feel what you're saying. It would be a bad idea to go walking around with it on, but I'm thinking I could still intermittently need a light. I also thought the laser would make it easier to hold a bead on someone, while leaving my eyes more available for peripheral vision.

civilsnake
07-11-2008, 9:02 PM
Thanks for the input, I feel what you're saying. It would be a bad idea to go walking around with it on, but I'm thinking I could still intermittently need a light. I also thought the laser would make it easier to hold a bead on someone, while leaving my eyes more available for peripheral vision.

I get what you're saying, but I really do feel like surprise is your best tool in any HD situation, and I wouldn't want anything that could give me away. As long as there is a good switch to turn it on and off quickly and easily it wouldn't be so bad. I understand how it could be useful once confrontation has occurred.

JTROKS
07-11-2008, 9:03 PM
What if the intruder has NVGs? I'd like to have a flashlight since the chance of the intruder disabling the power is a good possibility. For HD scenario it's wise to get everyone in the house to safety and then stand your ground. If the lights are out and you see someone walking around do you plug him right away, I think a good flashlight will help you identify that person. A laser can be an asset as long as you don't keep shining it giving your position away. If your laser is zeroed in, I think you'll have a better chance of hitting your target, which is the primary objective when shooting.

timmyb21
07-11-2008, 9:26 PM
My opinion: Both weaponlight and flashlight. Laser sight is optional. clear the house with the hand-held light, if you encounter a baddie, ditch the hand-held for the weapon light. Use said weapon light sparringly, only use the momentary on/off. Never give away your position. My personal opinion, for what it's worth.

-me
07-11-2008, 9:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies

ricknadine1111
07-11-2008, 11:38 PM
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/pistol003.jpg

redcliff
07-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Lot of sweet ninja gun-fighting action going on in this thread, so I"l post my non-ninja tactics :)

If I hear an unusual noise, I'm turning on lights and trying to give any burglar the chance to get the hell out of my house without a gun fight. Apprehending criminals and surviving gun fights is a last resort to me, I just want to protect my property and loved ones. I"d rather have the lights on and have full peripheral view and clear my corners as I check the house.

If the power has been cut I'd rather have a light w/laser on and try to blind anyone as I clear the house.

If I hear a loud noise and voices, such as from a home invasion, I"m taking up an ensconced defender postion behind a locked door and cover than calling for back-up.

shellyzsweet
07-12-2008, 12:49 AM
I personally am for a good quick on, off, switch. I know my way around my house in the dark, but even then I need a light sometimes. I like the idea of the hand held and on the gun for the reasons already mentioned. I really would rather opt for a light tho cause at least half (I think its closer to 80%) of gun "fights" statistically happen in low light situations and I really don't wanna be the person who shot the neighborhood kid who just wanted my TV because I couldn't see the face or figure of my target.

shellyzsweet
07-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Lot of sweet ninja gun-fighting action going on in this thread, so I"l post my non-ninja tactics :)

If I hear an unusual noise, I'm turning on lights and trying to give any burglar the chance to get the hell out of my house without a gun fight. Apprehending criminals and surviving gun fights is a last resort to me, I just want to protect my property and loved ones. I"d rather have the lights on and have full peripheral view and clear my corners as I check the house.

If the power has been cut I'd rather have a light w/laser on and try to blind anyone as I clear the house.

If I hear a loud noise and voices, such as from a home invasion, I"m taking up an ensconced defender postion behind a locked door and cover than calling for back-up.

I like your thoughts...I was gonna mention turning on the lights but didn't wanna get made fun of cause I'm a n00b

elsolo
07-12-2008, 6:29 AM
I had an M6 laser/light combo, I sold it without regret.

If I hear a bump in the hight, I am turning on lightswitches as I go the rooms of loved ones.

timmyb21
07-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Maybe I should have mentioned that 99% of the "bumps" in the night are nothing or can be resolved with just a flash from my Surefire G2. I'm not running through my house gun in hand and flashlight in the other "slicing the pie" from room to room yelling things like "clear!" or "secure!" Usually it goes like this:

-BUMP!-
wife "what was that?!?!"
me (sleeping) "hmph, huh? probably just the cat."
wife "we don't have a cat!"
me "the neighbors cat."
wife "what if someones trying to steal my car?"
me "by the time I get up and out there they'll be gone if their worth a damn."
wife "would you go check please?"
me "fine (grumbling, grab shotgun, place next to front door, open said door, shine light around the yard, usually nothing, occasionally a dog or fox or coyote trying to get the garbage or the chickens, in which case my light scares them off. If it doesn't, the 12 gauge does it's job. I live in the country, so everything works out fine, like I said, almost always).

Greg-Dawg
07-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Night sights and a Surefire weapon light for my OD Green G35.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/MyGlock_0753.jpg

It's good to be a bad arse.

Slayer
07-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Night sights and a Surefire weapon light for my OD Green G35.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/MyGlock_0753.jpg

It's good to be a bad arse.

Looks excessive/heavy. Why not duct tape a mag lite on there? Doesn't Surefire make a smaller, more flush light?

Greg-Dawg
07-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Looks excessive/heavy. Why not duct tape a mag lite on there? Doesn't Surefire make a smaller, more flush light?

I'm a big boy, therefore I can handle heavy. Cowboy up homeboy.

Here's my smaller pansy X200B with DG-11 pressure switch:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/DG-11006.jpg

ricknadine1111
07-12-2008, 11:25 AM

Did He say what I thought He said, "pansy":rolleyes:

Slayer
07-14-2008, 8:53 AM

Ok there "big boy", how long til you strap a helicopter spot light to that thing?

And if you can handle "heavy" why did you get a polymer pistol? :confused:

Ironchef
07-14-2008, 9:10 AM
If you bring up lasers around the seasoned smiths and shooters (and cops, and military, etc, etc), you'll get a world of hurt thrown at you because it's decorative...and at the most, it's good for when you're wounded/shot/lost an arm... but for aiming with it in the dark or in the light when milliseconds count...it takes longer to fire then it would if you instinctually use your sights (or if close enough your muzzle).

And others will argue that the fixed light on your gun will cause you to potentially point your gun at a friendly target (your teenage kids sneaking in at night)...as if your flashlight has no flood or spill. Then when you mention the flood or spill of your light allowing you not to point at a friendly, you'll be harshed because you're using your trigger finger to toggle the light (either temporarily or initially to on) thus losing an edge of being ready to fire.

So in short..get what ever you want, use it however you want...more importantly..PRACTICE safely, rehearse things at night with your family if you have one..so YOU will get the drop on the baddie, and so you will be more calm so your aimed shots can "stop" the baddie if you feel the need to fire your gun.

As for me and my house, we will serve up a handgun with a weapon light, and potentially a strobing Fenix P3D at 215 lumens to disorientate..if conditions permit..otherwise, the TLR-1 on the gun will do fine.

Visualize and practice in YOUR home what would be most beneficial.

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/2163/rightyc8.jpg

Jamez
07-14-2008, 9:51 AM
my thoughts:
Don't get either. If you have any non opening windows (i live in a 2 story house so there's a couple) let them let in the moonlight and any outside light you may have like street lights or house lights. Unless you have crap night vision or it's PITCH black in the dark you may or may not be able to see the out line of a person or hear them. If you have kids make sure they know if they make noise loud enough for others to hear like dropping something to let you know it's just you. NEVER call out "son, is that you?"

My opinion is this, do whatever you can to keep the element of surprise, i never put lasers or lights on my weapons but that's just me. Depending on how far you want to take it you could hard wire small bright lights to an independant power source. Bad guys make noise, power's cut, turn on emergancy lights and with any luck listen to the sweet sound of someone running away.

The best way to handle a situation is to aviod one, lock yourself in your room and call the cops.

-me
07-14-2008, 4:23 PM
I'm really not looking to surprise anyone, so I would be one to walk through the house turning lights on as I go. The taclight would be for just in case the lights aren't working or there isn't enough light where I'm trying to look. I'm also not going to pull the trigger because some idiot/punk (kid or not) is trying to relieve me of my TV etc.
I hadn't really thought about the fact that I could end up aiming the gun/taclight at someone that I'd rather not, but I guess that's why I posted the query. I'll have to rethink having a dedicated flashlight sitting next the gun in addition to the taclight.
Thanks again for all the feedback.